Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 08:34 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,349,927 times

Advertisements

Hello All...

I live in Encinitas, north of San Diego & just received a late invite to a function on W. Sunset Blvd in W. Hollywood tomorrow afternoon, so don't have a lot of time for thorough research. Looking at the map, it's almost into the 9000 block, between N. Doheny Dr & N. San Vincente Blvd. Looks like it's near the Whiskey, Cat Club, Viper Room & Roxy Theatre (according to Mapquest... I don't see the same places on other online maps).

Having not been to the L.A. or surrounding areas before (I've only driven through), all I can do is Mapquest & go. Looks like it's 110-mi, a better drive on a Sunday, I'd imagine & unfortunately the function begins at 3pm. I say unfortunately, as I'll have to drive home in the dark, hence the following q's:

* How likely would it be that I can on-street park on W. Sunset on a Sunday?
* I see by Google street view that there are meters. Is Sun meter parking free, as it is in downtown San Diego?
* Is it a safe enough area for me to be walking back to my car alone at dusk?
* Any parking tips... side streets, inexpensive lots? I 'walked' around the back of the Whiskey, where it looks as if there's parking (I see the sign, not a price... it's on N. Clark St.) in the event I can't find parking on the street... unless of course the back of the club parking is only for those particular biz's.

Also, I just realized that it's a 2-hr drive, so it's 50-50 that I'll go. If I do go, I'll probably go hours early & walk around somewhere nearby... might as well make a day out of it for a 4-hr RT drive. To that end, any suggestions on nearby places I can hang out? Coffee bar, bookstore, small strip mall that's a must see? I wasn't really sure how seedy that part of the strip is, so wasn't sure if I should head in another direction, then park before the function as close to the area as safely possible later in the evening.

Any suggestions? Thanks very much!

P.S. Oh, & if I want to walk around earlier in the day, should I walk down towards Larrabee St. or the other way on Sunset... or get off Sunset & stroll on another street or through another 'hood? Thanks again!

P.P.S. Okay, sorry... I see covered parking in the 9000 Wells Fargo bldg further up Sunset. I'm pretty sure I can find on-street parking... now my only quandary is where do I go to hang out/walkabout for awhile beforehand?

Last edited by PatanjaliTwist; 06-21-2014 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 02:01 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
You'll probably be able to find street parking. The Sunset Strip is dead compared to what it used to be. Santa Monica Blvd to the south is far more difficult to find parking.

Lots are usually $5-8 on off times like Sunday afternoon.

You can occupy your time by grabbing a bite to eat or taking a walk.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
You'll probably be able to find street parking. The Sunset Strip is dead compared to what it used to be. Santa Monica Blvd to the south is far more difficult to find parking. Lots are usually $5-8 on off times like Sunday afternoon.
Thanks for replying DLN. I'm fairly certain I can find on-street parking, too, after walking about with Google street view. Is Sunset dead as it's a bit dicey?

Quote:
You can occupy your time by grabbing a bite to eat or taking a walk.
Of course, I was hoping for suggestions, since aside from spending hours on GSV, I don't really know what's around. I walked up Sunset one way & hit residential Beverly Hills within a few blocks. The other way there are the clubs I mentioned & a Pete's Coffee, but I don't see much else. Is Santa Monica Blvd walkable from there? Maybe walking about SMB would be better?

Old 06-22-2014, 11:26 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
It's not dicey at all, it's just not a very happening neighborhood anymore.

Go east on Sunset and you'll see tons of places to eat, relax, and hang out. Coffee Bean, Peets. Same with Santa Monica Blvd, but if you're already on Sunset, no need to make the trip south.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
It's not dicey at all, it's just not a very happening neighborhood anymore.

Go east on Sunset and you'll see tons of places to eat, relax, and hang out. Coffee Bean, Peets. Same with Santa Monica Blvd, but if you're already on Sunset, no need to make the trip south.
Sounds great. Thank you, again!

Old 06-22-2014, 01:00 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Santa Monica Blvd south of the strip is LA's big gay corridor. Lots of clubs and bars and restaurants. On a Sunday afternoon I doubt it's all that wild. Biggest deterrent for me to walk down there is that it's practically straight up hill from SM BLVD back to Sunset.

As disgruntled said, the area is perfectly safe I used to walk back to Central Hollywood from the Troubador with my wife late, late at night. Never had any issues at all.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Santa Monica Blvd south of the strip is LA's big gay corridor. Lots of clubs and bars and restaurants. On a Sunday afternoon I doubt it's all that wild. Biggest deterrent for me to walk down there is that it's practically straight up hill from SM BLVD back to Sunset.

As disgruntled said, the area is perfectly safe I used to walk back to Central Hollywood from the Troubador with my wife late, late at night. Never had any issues at all.
Very good, thanks M. I'm glad I was online this morning, as the event was cancelled late, so it saved me from driving for 2-hrs for a Peet's coffee then back home. I'll go another day when I can also visit either the Santa Monica coast or flea market.

I know there are some neat places around that area of Sunset, like Book Soup, which is supposedly haunted (used to be a morgue either next door or attached to the bldg) & an antique bookstore behind it in the alleyway. Although, from your description, it sounds as if I'd prefer SM Blvd. After the 4th I'll plan on coming up very early morning & spending the entire day if not weekend.

Thanks for the info, All!

Old 06-22-2014, 11:00 PM

497 posts, read 1,503,976 times
Well I know it's too late, but I thought I would post for future info:

Be careful and read the parking signs. Many areas south of Sunset Blvd are permit parking only after a certain hour and they will tow your car very quickly.

Best to park in a lot and pay a little bit more...Cost of a ticket, tow, etc is $200+.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post

Be careful and read the parking signs. Many areas south of Sunset Blvd are permit parking only after a certain hour and they will tow your car very quickly.

Best to park in a lot and pay a little bit more...Cost of a ticket, tow, etc is $200+.
No, you're not too late... the event was cancelled late & I'll be going another time. That is very helpful info, thank you kindly, Gregg!

Old 06-23-2014, 11:26 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd1 View Post

Yeah my wife's car got towed when she parked illegally at the Troubadour. This was before I met her but I am pretty sure she ended up having to take the bus in the middle of the night to Mid-City or somewhere on Pico to get her towed car. Big disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles