Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 01:31 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,257,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Great post: my smile for the day. I always love to read these posts by people who just think living in So Ca would be next to or better than going to heaven...

now OP, I was born and raised in Los Angeles and we lived in the burbs of DC for 7 years in the 80s. Except for better weather, if you don't like season changes, L.A. is no better and maybe not as interesting as living in D.C. I am sure you have heard: the grass is greener on the other side: well, often it turns from green to brown very quickly.

I am not posting to belittle L.A. there are things I will always miss about the city and the region, but it isn't the end of all ends.
You say you were born and raised in LA so I can see where you might not find it as interesting. But for someone who has lived back there for awhile, LA, at least for me is VERY interesting. Plants, trees, architecture, PEOPLE, food, culture, weather. I actually find it to be one of the most unique citites in N.A. Same could be said for someone who has lived out here most of there lives and move to the east coast. Its expensive out here. I find it more expensive than DC but its interesting, fascinating and quite enjoyable.

I love what Infinitekid posted because many times I believe that's what people think. And then there are those who think they're experts with all of this 'cesspool, stuck up, plastic, fake, smogfest' bs. I just smh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 08:12 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,645,694 times
OP, I moved here from DC 5 years ago and couldn't be happier. I know the weather thing is cliche, but it makes a massive difference. You know those 2 weeks in the spring in DC when the cherry blossoms are coming out, and its no longer cold but its not humid and buggy yet? That's LA every day. That "you'll miss the seasons" thing is bull****. Its objectively better.

I also find this city to have much more character than DC. The District is super livable and experiencing an economic boom like no other American city, but despite all the improvements there it never seemed to me to get any less generic. All the new glassy 12 story condos look very pretty just like their renderings, but they're always filled with the same kind of generic fusion restaurants, and probably a CVS and a Trader Joes. Its anytown yuppieville.

LA is weird, and awesome, and bizarre, and filled with little interesting bits that you could spend a lifetime discovering and still not see them all.

There's ethnic enclaves from pretty much every ethnicity you could think of, some of them quite large (Koreatown takes up a massive section of central LA, for example.) This makes for amazing (and usually cheap) dining adventures that never get old.

The geography is varied, and beautiful - Ocean, creeks (actually "arroyos", as you will learn), waterfalls, hills, mountains (the 10,000' kind that don't exist back east), beaches, islands, and more. If you are outdoorsy this is one of the best places to live in the states.

People are generally friendly and easygoing, and you will find yourself making a lot of friends once you dive in to whatever activities interest you.

I won't even go into the myriad live music, DJs, art, comedy, theater, and dance entertainment options available on any given day here. Its LA. Its what it does best.

Its not all roses though, so here's some negatives:

The economy- while recovering, is nothing like it is in DC. If you have a job waiting for you out here then you'll be fine, but if you don't then you may be hunting for awhile depending on your industry. (If you're a software developer for example, don't sweat it- there are tons of jobs and you will be able to shop around for your pick.)

Traffic. My best advice is to proactively set yourself up so its a non-issue. Live in the same part of town you are working in. Or if your job is near a metro line, make sure you also live near a metro stop. People here ***** non-stop about traffic, but a lot of them put themselves in a bad situation because they just had to take that high-paying job across town or just had to live in the hot neighborhood that is nowhere near their job, etc. The way I see it, your daily commute impacts your life in a way that we often don't acknowledge - stress, time wasted, gas/insurance/car payment/maintenance expenses, etc. That being the case, isn't it worthwhile to take whatever action is necessary to ensure that your commute isn't so terrible, even if that means picking the job that pays 5k less or living in the neighborhood that was your 2nd or 3rd choice? I live downtown, I work downtown, and I drive maybe once every couple of weeks. I'm living proof that you can live in LA and avoid traffic entirely. I'm actually considering renting my car out through one of those peer-based car sharing services so my monthly car payment isn't a complete waste.

Anyway, that's my contribution. I could add a lot more positives and a few more negatives but I'm sure others have covered a lot of them in the earlier comments. Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-29-2014, 08:21 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,645,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I remember when I moved to LA after a few months decided to venture down to Orange County for the weekend. Immediately upon arriving I noticed the difference. The first thing I noticed were lots of republican bumber stickers. Second, I know its suburban but way too sprawly with a combo of 70s architecture, endless housing developments and newer hideous mcmansions and gated communities. The beach areas were nice and pleasant and very beautiful. By far the best part of the trip. But third was when the 50ish white woman gave me her valet parking ticket when I was also waiting for my car. Newer and suburban is not for everybody.
I haven't spent much time in OC since moving to LA, but I knew I never wanted to live there a few years back when Orange Coast magazine did a OC vs. LA cover story and declared OC to be the winner with "OC has better highways" as one of the main reasons. They can keep their newer highways. We raised our sales tax in 2008 so we can invest $40 billion in transit over the next 30 years!

Last edited by DistrictDirt; 06-29-2014 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 10:15 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,541,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
I haven't spent much time in OC since moving to LA, but I knew I never wanted to live there a few years back when Orange Coast magazine did a OC vs. LA cover story and declared OC to be the winner with "OC has better highways" as one of the main reasons. They can keep their newer highways. We raised our sales tax in 2008 so we can invest $40 billion in transit over the next 30 years!
Cool, enjoy the bus as you sit next to felons, crackheads and bums! We prefer our nice cars in OC

Old 06-30-2014, 10:16 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,789,499 times
mbell is one of those OC folks that hates LA even though she probably doesn't have much experience with it outside of a few random trips...my mom was like that

one time i went to a gathering in OC and when one lady heard i was from LA she was like "oh LA we are rivals with LA"...i was like...hmm does LA know? (or care...)

Old 06-30-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
mbell is one of those OC folks that hates LA even though she probably doesn't have much experience with it outside of a few random trips...my mom was like that
First off, Im a guy. Second, Ive been to LA hundreds of times and stayed there for weeks dozens of times. I know it very well. All the way from Burbank down to Torrance. Thankfully I don't have to go as often these days but I was there plenty for years. Thats why I chose not to live there

Old 06-30-2014, 10:36 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,156,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post

That's so cute. Do you read the LAtimes? If you did, you'd know what we in OC know, LA is now planning on fixing the 405 and 5 freeways due to residents' complaints about how much better the OC roads (and extra lanes) are.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:37 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,504,287 times
Since I'm coming from NYC, I'm sure prices won't be such a shock to me, rents either....however, I am just praying me and my BF can both find decent jobs.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Since I'm coming from NYC, I'm sure prices won't be such a shock to me, rents either....however, I am just praying me and my BF can both find decent jobs.
Good luck with that. High unemployment rates and millions of people looking for work is not a good situation.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:43 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,156,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post

one time i went to a gathering in OC and when one lady heard i was from LA she was like "oh LA we are rivals with LA"...i was like...hmm does LA know? (or care...)

Infinity, your comment about what someone might expect to find in LA had me cracking up. I am serious. And I don't think sarcasm was inappropriate since, what the heck kind of question is that, anyway? A city that huge can be summed up in a few sentences? People can and should do some very basic research before posting on here.

As for MBell, he and I don't agree on everything since I am a social liberal, but he is right that LA has some major problems. But I still love LA, always will. Plus, LA is on the upswing. Love it but wouldn't want to live there at this stage of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles