U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,715,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanigirl View Post
Pacoima was once the traditional black part of the Valley, but that has changed greatly in the past 15 years. Now, there is a large number of Hispanics there.
There weren't a lot of Hispanics in Pacoima when Ritchie Valens and Bobby Chacon were growing up there? Pacoima's been overwhelmingly Latino for something like 50 years, it's nothing new. I don't think that the black population there was ever that high. Maybe a few here and there but nobody I know in a lifetime of living in LA has ever referred to Pacoima as a black neighborhood, always as a Mexican/Latino neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 05:31 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,226,982 times
I recently heard some refer to Pacoima as a black hood...but even though I'm only 25 I say it's been a hispanic area, with the tracks dividing the two races somewhat

Hispanic>everyone else...when it comes to % of them
minority? dont think so

Old 12-19-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
I recently heard some refer to Pacoima as a black hood...but even though I'm only 25 I say it's been a hispanic area, with the tracks dividing the two races somewhat

Hispanic>everyone else...when it comes to % of them
minority? dont think so
Every time I've been through Pacoima almost everyone I've seen has been Latino (I presume those whites I've seen there are Latino as well.) And this goes back to 1974 or thereabouts. Not that I'm overtly familiar with the area, but that's just been my impression. There have been famous Latinos from there, but I can't think of any famous non-Latinos from there. Maybe that person was referring to black Latinos?

Old 12-19-2007, 06:13 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,740,673 times
I think it was Pacoima where we went to a place called Godzillas to see punk bands in the early 1980s???? Anyone remember?

Old 12-19-2007, 11:25 PM

636 posts, read 2,446,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanigirl View Post
Pacoima was once the traditional black part of the Valley, but that has changed greatly in the past 15 years. Now, there is a large number of Hispanics there.
She's referring to Panorama city, not Pacoima. Panorama city was once White, primarily Jewish I think.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:31 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,620,905 times
Panorama City still has a lot of whites. I have a friend who lives there who is white (Russian). His neighbors are mostly white except for the people across the street (with the 30 people living in one house) -- they are Asian. I don't believe they are Filipino. They appear to be something else, maybe Vietnamese?

Anyway, there are a lot of Filipinos in the area because I worked with two Filipino guys who both lived around there and they told me the Filipinos were taking over. There is also a big Filipino supermarket in the center across from Walmart and another one that is just south of Roscoe on Woodman.

I've met other whites via my business in Panorama City so I know there are more whites than people think.

As long as I've been here (early 1980s), Pacoima has always been mostly Hispanic.

There is an area of North Hollywood, near Sherman Way and the Hollywood freeway that appears to be changing to a truly mixed neighborhood with Armenians, Koreans, Thais, Filipinos, Hispanics, Peruvians, Indians, Egyptians, Hungarians -- just a real hodgepodge. You can tell by the bakeries and restaurants in the area, plus from the types of grocery stores appearing. You usually don't see a lot of Baklava shops next door to Peruvian restaurants. I haven't figured out quite what to make of it yet. It just seems like a working class neighborhood with a heck of a lot of different ethnic groups living there.

Last edited by UB50; 12-20-2007 at 12:40 AM..

Old 12-20-2007, 08:47 AM

32 posts, read 224,421 times
Default Panorama City

I live in Panorama City, and I know exactly where Lanark and Noble is....
that area is behind the old Van Nuys drive Ins ( now a middle school) that pocket of Panorama is okay. Tree lined streets with little single family homes.
the parts of Panorama City is behind Kaiser going East from Woodman to the 170 freeway would be the best place. Homes near Ranchito Elm, Burton Elm and Chase St Elm are okay too.

the areas that give Panorama City a bad name is Blythe st/Van Nuys Blvd, and the apartment neighborhood areas of Van Nuys/ Parthenia st going north to Nordhoff and up to the 405 freeway.

Just drive thru the neighborhoods of Panorama City in the day time, there are lots of quite streets with single family "kaiser homes" that would be okay for you and your son.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:00 AM

32 posts, read 224,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
An update...

She found a 2 bedroom townhouse style apt in a gated bldg in Valley Village. Its on Laurel Cyn Blvd but she says its quiet inside. Its just south of Magnolia. Anyone know that area? Is it better than Van Nuys/Panorama City? She put down a deposit and said it felt safer than the little house on Noble Ave.

Once again, school is not an issue. Her son is already enrolled at Pinecrest.

thanks again for all the info

yeah that area is much better then Panorama. For being white she would feel more comfortable in that area.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think it was Pacoima where we went to a place called Godzillas to see punk bands in the early 1980s???? Anyone remember?
Godzillas was in Sun Valley.

I think that the person who thought Pacoima was a black area at one time may have been thinking of Lakeview Terrace next door, which in the 70s/80s was an extremely racially/ethnically mixed area, including blacks,Latinos, non-Latino whites, Asians, etc. although I'm sure its 100% Latino nowadays.

I can think of one famous black person who did live in the far northeast Valley - the legendary R&B singer Screamin' Jay Hawkins did live in Sun Valley for a considerable time.

Panorama City did used to be a majority non-Latino white working class area back in the day, like its neighbors Van Nuys, North Hills (then called Sepulveda), Sun Valley, Arleta, northern North Hollywood, etc. Noho used to be VERY Jewish.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:03 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,740,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Godzillas was in Sun Valley.
Right on.

http://www.dementlieu.com/users/obik...godzillas.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or