Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 01:18 PM

715 posts, read 2,082,130 times

Advertisements

SocalMomma.

There is also two other Pinechrest schools in the area of Santa Clarita, mine goes to the one in Valencia ..

I can pretty much do panorama in 20-30mins an average speed of 50mph on a 19mile stretch.

I think with SCV, people are more pleasant over here. The place isnt over run with hispanics, in fact, they only reside in small pockets of the community. There is much to do here and is very safe. I would strongly suggest she pays this area a visit.

I can understand she has to come up with the best compromise as possible to make it all work as smoothly but with SFV, you have that piece of mind that 85% of the time, little or nothing bad will happen to you, which to me is very important with having a family.

My wife works at valley presbetarian (van nuys) on the weekends and does a day or two at the henry mayo hospital during weekdays. She's only got a month or two left on her contract before shes done with van nuys.

Im guessing your friend tranferred from another Kaiser in from her old place?

There are two other hospitals in close proximities of SCV, theres Olive Vue in Sylmar 10-15min drive (county hospital) and Providence holy cross (private) in Rinaldi St 20-25min drive. Speaking from friends who work for Holy cross, its a good place to work, good rate of pay and as good benefits that of Kaiser. With Olive vue, ive yet to find out from another friend if you want to know more about it?

You pretty much have everything you could possibly need here with regards shops and malls, good places to eat, kids entertainment. Plenty of family orientated neighborhoods.

There are a good selection of apartments to choose from, both spacious, garage provided. But lke i said, come and see for yourself.

ps, sorry, forgot to read no apartments but you may want to try the townhomes for rent in canyon county SFV

Last edited by GracieJJ; 12-17-2007 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 09:28 PM

636 posts, read 2,637,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
You write as if Van Nuys is a war zone of gangs. The hispanics in Van Nuys are human beings and many of them are families worried about safety just as much as you are.
True. Everyone is trying to 'get along' as Rodney King would say. I'm in that area quite a bit... The area where the houses are located seems more middle class and less rundown than the boulevards where apartments are stacked up.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Panorama city is populated with a majority of Latinos. I have relatives who live in Arleta which is right next to Panorama city and Van Nuys so I've been there quite a few times. Personally, I wouldnt mind living in Panorama city, but if she wants nicer neighborhoods than she might want to consider North Hills.
North hills is a bit 'nicer' but a housing rental is going to cost her much more. The houses and the lots are much larger on average than PC homes.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Panorama City can be okay or very bad. There are gangs in that area but there are also a lot of Filipino households too. I don't know where those two streets are exactly so I can't advise on that specific area. I've driven through a lot of neighborhoods and you can definitely see "pride of ownership" in some areas so I know some areas are probably okay to live in.

There is one street -- it runs east/west between Van Nuys Blvd. and Sepulveda and it is north of Roscoe (a major street -- I think it might be Parthenia or Saticoy?) -- anyway, I don't think that is a good area to live in. HOWEVER, on the other side of Van Nuys Blvd., there are a lot of nice single family homes and that neighborhood looks like it is probably a decent area to live in.

The area around Sepulveda Blvd. has long been noted for drugs and prostitutes. It's not a good area to live in.
The street your are referring to is Parthenia. Between Van Nuys and the 405, it's dicey on that street, in my opinion. And the small streets off of Parthenia are hard to navigate due to the masses of people who live in the nearby apartments.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
Thank you all for the input.

Her son is already signed up to go to Pinecrest School (I think on Sherman Way), so public schools are not an issue right now. I think her main concern is travel time and $$$ that is why she is looking in that area. Her son will be in school / day care while she works and she wants to have time at home with him, not spending tons of time commuting. This house she found is owned by an older lady who has lived there for 30 or 40 years. The lady told her she has never had anything happen to her living there. This neighborhood is south of Roscoe and east of Sepulveda. She said its all single family homes, no apts or duplexes or anything.

She lived in Mission Viejo before her recent divorce. I dont think she knows much about the valley and that is why I am asking YOU GUYS for your input. I drive through the valley, but never really stop & I never have really ventured into the 'neighborhoods'.

Continue with your opinions, please. Good and bad, so we can get the full picture.

Price range: She wants a home, not an apt. She can spend up to about $1500. The house she found is within that budget. If you know of other 'safer' areas, within a 20 min drive during traffic times from Kaiser or Pinecrest - that would fit that budget, please share

Thanks again guys.
I can picture the area. It's 'ok' but a big come down from Mission Viejo. $1500 would get her a nice two bedroom in a better neighborhood. Too bad she's set on a house.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:01 AM

47 posts, read 169,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMomma View Post
A very good friend of mine is thinking of renting a small house in Panorama City, or maybe its considered Van Nuys. Its on Noble near Lanark. Anyone know that area? She said it looks like its pretty safe and mostly families in that area. She is a single WHITE female with a 5 year old son. Do you think its ok there? I am trying to get her to reconsider, but I dont have any real info on that area. She got a job as a nurse at Kaiser in Panorama City so she wants to be close.

Any info would be appreciated.. good or bad! Thanks!
Has she driven in the area at night? That is when you really discover what a neighborhood is like. The nice people are in at night and, basically, the freaks come out at night.

Can she afford private school for her son? He is so young and needs to learn the fundamentals in a good educational environment. LAUSD is a very poor choice, because there is little parental involvement and hence low test scores. Private school is the exact opposite.

Pacoima was once the traditional black part of the Valley, but that has changed greatly in the past 15 years. Now, there is a large number of Hispanics there.

I'll be very honest. If she was alone by herself, I'd tell her to just 'wing it' find a secure gated condo or apartment with roommates, but she has a child. Her son needs to be in a nice area. If he goes to public school and mingles, he may come home with some undesirable behaviors.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanigirl View Post
Has she driven in the area at night? That is when you really discover what a neighborhood is like. The nice people are in at night and, basically, the freaks come out at night.

Can she afford private school for her son? He is so young and needs to learn the fundamentals in a good educational environment. LAUSD is a very poor choice, because there is little parental involvement and hence low test scores. Private school is the exact opposite.
Pacoima was once the traditional black part of the Valley, but that has changed greatly in the past 15 years. Now, there is a large number of Hispanics there.

I'll be very honest. If she was alone by herself, I'd tell her to just 'wing it' find a secure gated condo or apartment with roommates, but she has a child. Her son needs to be in a nice area. If he goes to public school and mingles, he may come home with some undesirable behaviors.

Ermm, just so you know. "Pinecrest" schools are Privatetly owned and run, one of the best in this area i might add (SCV) which is where her son is enrolled to attend.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:17 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,589,892 times
An update...

She found a 2 bedroom townhouse style apt in a gated bldg in Valley Village. Its on Laurel Cyn Blvd but she says its quiet inside. Its just south of Magnolia. Anyone know that area? Is it better than Van Nuys/Panorama City? She put down a deposit and said it felt safer than the little house on Noble Ave.

Once again, school is not an issue. Her son is already enrolled at Pinecrest.

thanks again for all the info

Old 12-19-2007, 04:04 PM

10,011 posts, read 9,438,159 times
The OP was asking about apartments in VN and PC, and wanted to know if the area was considered safe. Both areas for the most part with maybe a few exceptions are not a desirable place to live to say the least.

It is true that a majority of the residents of those areas are hispanics, who are hard working law abiding residents. That being said, the issue is really based on a socioeconomic rather than race. In thise case the areas are lower middle class and do contain a large number of criminal element.

Quote:
You write as if Van Nuys is a war zone of gangs. The hispanics in Van Nuys are human beings and many of them are families worried about safety just as much as you are. People, stop being such wussie's! not to be rude but it's true. The whole reason she posted this thread was because her friend doesn't want to ride long distances.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:13 PM

Wow. Its compact! but if you like that kindda thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles