Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 03:00 AM

5 posts, read 3,671 times

Advertisements

Well, my story is long but here's the gist. I grew up in San Diego, moved to LA for college, back to SD for law school and worked there for a year. I needed a change of scenery. So when my then-partner got a job in DC, I hightailed it to the east coast.

After 3 years of ups and downs in DC, the relationship ended and I decided to move back to California, San Francisco to be specific. The first year in SF was great. Now, as I am well into my second year, I find the luster and charm of the city gone. Don't get me wrong, I am LGBT and Asian, and I've never felt more sense of community than in SF, but my job and love situation are not going as expected. Plus, this city is too expensive (ie not sustainable). Moreover, the weather has been particularly cold. To me cold = miserable. That's the biggest reason why I could not live on the east coast or midwest. I want warmth and diversity and good food. And cheap accommodations! lol.

I'll be down next week for LA Pride and want to check out some neighborhoods. I have friends in Pasadena and it's alright, but that damn winding freeway is such a pain to get in and out of.

Like I said, my current job situation is a whole other issue. No job in either city currently, but plenty of savings. Not sure what I'll be making in LA, but I have a way of making things work. I also acknowledge that after living car-free for the last 5 years, I will have to learn how to be a so cal driver again.

Questions:
1. Where are the (non-weho) hotspots for an early 30 something gay man? I googled gay bars in LA but I'm sure you locals would know more!
2. I'd like to live in a 1-bd, but can do a studio since that's what I've done for the past 4 years. What price range are we looking at in said hotspots?
3. Is Long Beach even worth it?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 03:22 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,775,263 times
Downtown LA if you want to minimize reliance on the automobile. It is also about 1/3 Asian-American and has a sizeable gay population.

Miracle Mile is a good, walkable neighborhood and all on a grid, no winding streets. Roughly the area north and south of Wilshire Blvd from La Brea to Fairfax.

This is a listing for a studio rental in the heart of Miracle Mile (too small for what you want but gives you an idea of what is out there).
Fancy Fresh and Reduced Studio Full Kitchen Includes Fridge and Stove

Other areas to look at: Silverlake, Culver City, Echo Park, Eagle Rock, etc.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:10 AM

Hey StreetLegal, thank you sir! I don't really need to be around asian people or even lgbt people for that matter. Just close enough to a gay bar for a drink.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:27 AM

4,213 posts, read 8,330,058 times
What's your budget? Hollywood (not West, but regular HOllywood) sounds good.

Long Beach can be worth it if you are working close to there and don't mind the quiet. It's also cheaper than most of LA.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:41 PM

I'd say under 1500, preferably a lot under 1500. I don't require much. Heck, the thought of living in a 1bd room apt again had me flooding my basement! (Rupaul reference).

Old 06-02-2015, 04:04 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,330,058 times
You can find a studio or one bed for under 1500 in the less desirable parts of Hollywood. Still centrally located, gay friendly fun.

Long Beach might be a good fit, your budget works there, it just depends on where you plan to be working.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epichero83 View Post
Hey StreetLegal, thank you sir! I don't really need to be around asian people or even lgbt people for that matter. Just close enough to a gay bar for a drink.
Yes, my suggestion for Downtown LA was primarily based on the walkability/mass transit attributes. Of course, DTLA is not San Francisco but it is walkable and improving. It does have a lot of homeless people which is probably something you are used to coming from S.F.

Long Beach is not for me but I know people who live there and love it. It is a bit too far south for me...

Old 06-03-2015, 06:23 PM

You know, I went to a Lady Gaga concert last year in DTLA and was really surprised to see the changes. I would never have gone downtown in the early 2000s when I was in college. It's rapidly gentrifying and I've never been afraid of the homeless. They are people too and I just say, "No speak English" and walk on my merry way.

Long Beach... arg. I just don't know. I'll have to check it out. I don't care for that beach-y vibe bc I grew up in San Diego. Maybe Studio City. Damn that Laurel Canyon pass though! I might be priced out of Los Feliz. (sad face)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles