Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:56 PM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,921 times

Advertisements

Speaking for myself, growing up in Los Angeles was a lot of fun. My parents took me and my siblings to all different sorts of places. My questions to the natives are, what were your favorite places to visit as a kid, and do you still enjoy those places as an adult? Here are a few of the favorite places we consistently visited as Angeleno kids.

The beach- I really loved the beach as a kid, but as I got older, the interest began rubbing off. I'm not really a beach person, but I do enjoy going once in a while and visiting the Pier.

Disneyland- Loved it then and love it now.

El Capitan Theatre- Every time my mom took us to see a Disney movie, we always went to the El Capitan. Although the theater is nice, I usually never consider going there to see a movie.

CityWalk- Again, loved it then and love it now.

Knott's and Six Flags Magic Mountain- These two are classics, and I still enjoy them.

In-N-Out- My favorite fast food joint...need say no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 10:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,529 times
Chinatown. Lived in the area for a few years when I was a teen. There's practically nothing of interest in Chinatown anymore except for a couple decent restaurants.

But still every other month or so, I find myself walking around its streets for fun like back in the olden days. Chinatown is very, very walkable if you know how to walk it.

Kind of the same with Little Tokyo... but Little Tokyo nowadays is a bit of a tourist trap. I just go there to eat and shop at the couple small Japanese supermarkets--then I am outta there.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:13 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Those mentioned plus a few more off the top of my head:

Since I grew up in Hollywood, previewing and rating tv shows and commercials before others saw them (that was exciting).

Going to the Greek Theatre.

La Brea Tar Pits, sure it stinks, but what kid doesn't like goo and old bones?

Jewish delis and bakeries.

Riding to Ventura for fried fish.

Clearman's in La Mirada.

Going to Little Tokyo to buy anime stuff I saw on tv.

Griffith Observatory - I think we went to a couple field trips there.

And when I was really small, Santa's Village up around Crestline.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
Chinatown. Lived in the area for a few years when I was a teen. There's practically nothing of interest in Chinatown anymore except for a couple decent restaurants.

But still every other month or so, I find myself walking around its streets for fun like back in the olden days. Chinatown is very, very walkable if you know how to walk it.

Kind of the same with Little Tokyo... but Little Tokyo nowadays is a bit of a tourist trap. I just go there to eat and shop at the couple small Japanese supermarkets--then I am outta there.
We only went to Chinatown a few times. I'm going to try and visit one day before I go back to school this fall.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post

Since I grew up in Hollywood, previewing and rating tv shows and commercials before others saw them (that was exciting).

Clearman's in La Mirada.

I went to Hancock Park Elementary, right down the street from the Tar Pits and LACMA. I don't know how many times we walked there for field trips. It got annoying quick, but I did enjoy the Tar Pits. I also enjoyed the pillow room that used to be in LACMA. I'm looking forward to the Academy Award section of the museum.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:22 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
You sound awfully young to be reminiscing.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
You sound awfully young to be reminiscing.
I'm in my twenties.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:40 PM

100 posts, read 128,574 times
Born in 90026 before it was a zip code . . . grew up and went to school east of LA . . . Grandparents lived in So Central until 1966 when they evacuated to the OC . . . I've owned homes in Whittier, Diamond Bar, and San Dimas and rented in Orange County and the SGV.

The best single thing growing up was the music scene, especially in the 60's through the 80's. Being able to see Led Zep a half dozen times at several different venues in a month was epic. Watched amazing shows at small venues like the Troubadour, Roxy, The Palace, The Whiskey, Golden Bear. Springsteen, Ronstadt, Browne, Dave Mason, Sinatra, yeah they all played LA.

Next best was proximity to the beach, (HB was a half hour away), the mountains, the desert, and boating at the Colorado River and Salton Sea (yucky, yeah, but when you are in the 5th grade, water skiing is water skiing). Knott's was free when I was a kid, not many rides but for 25 cents you could feed the seals frozen sardines. Disneyland was a bargain but you always ended up with extra A, B, and C tickets (look it up).

Worst by far was the air pollution. Many days in the 60's we would be literally kept inside at school since the smog was so thick. Guess that's why the Gabrielinos called the basin the valley of the smoke.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:54 PM

100 posts, read 128,574 times
Quote:

Clearman's in La Mirada.

Those mentioned plus a few more off the top of my head: (great memories, here are some of mine) -

Going to the Greek Theatre. Love the Greek.

La Brea Tar Pits, sure it stinks, but what kid doesn't like goo and old bones? Love the museums too.

Jewish delis and bakeries. Langer's Pastrami on corn rye bread, still the best.

Riding to Ventura for fried fish. San Pedro for the same thing.

Clearman's in La Mirada. Steak 'N' Stein in Pico Rivera.

Going to Little Tokyo to buy anime stuff I saw on tv. Eating Dim Sum in Chinatown.

Griffith Observatory - I think we went to a couple field trips there. Epic. Later, Lazerium.

And when I was really small, Santa's Village up around Crestline. Even better, taking my own kids.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:59 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Being 50 yrs old, Disneyland yes. The rest of your list is pretty much worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles