U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 10:35 AM

413 posts, read 1,724,566 times

Advertisements

I put this in the L.A. forum because I know alot of you travel so maybe you can help. Wife wants to see Vegas on the way too.
End of Feb we hit the road for L.A. (permanant move) and we are kinda torn between what route to take from Northern Indiana to L.A.
80 basically is the Northern Plains route. Goes across Iowa, Nebraska, Utah and down into Nevada etc.
40 takes us through Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, N. Texas, NM, AZ then we can shoot up 100 miles and still catch Vegas. I wanna see area 51 also.

I'm not looking forward to the first half of either route.
Which route would have more COOL NATIONAL LANDMARKS??? I keep thinking that the Southwest route (40) would be the funnest.

Does anyone know of any sites that would give me a rundown of what to look out for on either route?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 12:22 PM

392 posts, read 1,732,030 times
Northern plains in February? Doesn't seem like a good route to me. I'd stay south, storms up there can close the roads.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
Northern plains in February? Doesn't seem like a good route to me. I'd stay south, storms up there can close the roads.
Ah, you are correct. I think I've taken everything BUT that into consideration. Just found out that route 40 is basically the new route 66. With that being said we will most likely take the southwest route.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:35 PM

723 posts, read 2,808,013 times
Well, a few things:

Area 51: It's a long ways from ANYthing. Check your maps and mileages before you commit to heading up near Rachel.

Highway 40 is good! I've taken it from Albuquerque to LA. I've also taken highway 70 as well. I would say, if there's no snowstorms (and the roads are clear) Take i-70 to 15 south. Much better scenery.

If you REALLY have some time to kill, take i-70, then head down through Utah (Moab, Escalante, Torrey, etc.)

If you do take i-70, watch between Green River UT and Salinas UT, as there's a section with no gas between the two. About 120 miles.

Have fun!!!

Old 12-17-2007, 06:40 PM

225 posts, read 1,021,268 times
For scenery I would take I-70. Drive through the night for the first couple of days so you have plenty of time to pull off the road once you are in Utah and and check out Arches, Bryce and Zion--some of the most spectacular scenery in America. I-40 is near Santa Fe, though.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:48 PM

7,900 posts, read 14,738,207 times
Maybe head straight south first to I-10 and take that all the way? I don't know. I just thought of that because you really need to stay far south during February.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,622,235 times
The time of year is tough for travel through the mountain areas, but I-70 is beautiful if you can get through it. Further south and off the interstate is US-160 which can be taken west from I-25 at Walsenburg, CO. This highway takes you through some beautiful country in southern Colorado, eventually going into Arizona near "Four Corners." From there you have several options:
1) head west to the Grand Canyon, then south to I-40 in Williams, AZ, then west to Kingman, AZ, where you will head north to Las Vegas before taking I-15 south to California
2) head west to US-89, then north into Utah's Color Country (Zion & Bryce Canyon), then head west across the mountains to I-15 to head south to Las Vegas
3) head north into Utah to see the sights (Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, etc.), then head west toward I-15
4) head south to I-40 for the quickest way west to Las Vegas or California.

There is so much beautiful scenery to see in all these areas that it's hard to recommend one "best" route. Many of the time I've traveled that direction, I've taken a different route than the other times, just so I can see more of the scenery. I still have a lot to see, even though I've taken quite a few different routes.

If taking I-40 west, turn north on US-93 in Kingman, AZ to head up to Las Vegas.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:13 AM

Thanks everyone!!! Wow, I have alot of decisions to make

I see that i40 is actually the old route 66, or basically the same route. I wanna see those big Dinosaurs from Pee Wees Big Adventure and that's in California but the town's not on any map, starts with a Caba...something.

Theres just way too much to see on all routes, but I think (to avoid snow) we will take i40 all the way. We'll branch off it here and there to see things though.
If I cant get to area 51 then Roswell will be fine. Thats about 100 miles south of i40.
Really wanted to see Utah, but I dont thing I'll be able to this time around.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:51 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,158,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
I put this in the L.A. forum because I know alot of you travel so maybe you can help. Wife wants to see Vegas on the way too.
End of Feb we hit the road for L.A. (permanant move) and we are kinda torn between what route to take from Northern Indiana to L.A.
80 basically is the Northern Plains route. Goes across Iowa, Nebraska, Utah and down into Nevada etc.
40 takes us through Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, N. Texas, NM, AZ then we can shoot up 100 miles and still catch Vegas. I wanna see area 51 also.

I'm not looking forward to the first half of either route.
Which route would have more COOL NATIONAL LANDMARKS??? I keep thinking that the Southwest route (40) would be the funnest.

Does anyone know of any sites that would give me a rundown of what to look out for on either route?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
I think I would go to Vegas by way of I 80 and come back on I 40. On I 40 you can got off on the old U.S. 66 and see the sites And see something new going and coming.. Don't about the weather you can run into on I 80

Old 12-18-2007, 04:59 PM

7,900 posts, read 14,738,207 times
I-40 to Highway 168 in AZ north to Grand Canyon National Park. Then 89 north to 59 East which will take you to I 15. 15 East to Vegas. Continue east or south on 15 till LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles