U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 02:43 PM

42 posts, read 205,493 times

Advertisements

I have recently bought a townhouse in Sun Valley. The complex is managed by an HOA office in Glendale. Although I have lived there only a couple of months, we have experienced a number of problems with the HOA. I dont think it is necessarily the HOA office, but I think it is the committee board.

We have reported a couple of problems and nothing is getting fixed. We call the HOA committee members and they never return our calls. I was wondering how we can rectify this situation... Is it possible to take legal action against them?

The first problem was that they would not program the electric security gate with our phone number so that we can buzz people in. Their excuse was that they lost the instructions. I gave it a month, then called out a professional and paid $85. I will be short paying my next months HOA fee.

Second problem we have a leak in the roof. Someone came out and checked it about 2 weeks ago and submitted a quote to the HOA. The HOA lady says that she can not do anything until the committee approves it. If it rains again before it is fixed the water will come through and ruin our brand new carpet.

We are very frustrated and any advise is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM

6,663 posts, read 27,061,948 times
The management companies are very slow to respond to us as well. Send certified letters to all concerned that they will be liable for damages. If you attend the meetings you will likely be refunded the $85, you have to be a squeaky wheel.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:56 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,106,776 times
I would suggest that you nominate yourself and become a board member at the next election. It sounds like the board has no one with prior HOA experience or homeownership experience. This is a growing problem with condos in that you have a group of people with a renter mentality and no concept of the responsibility and procedure to maintain real estate.

For the meantime, I agree with the above post to go to the next meeting, if they even have them regularly, and send out the letter to the management co and president's address personally indicating in the letter that you are putting them on notice. If they know of the deficiency before damage occures and fail to do anything, they are negligent.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:53 AM

14 posts, read 53,484 times
Default Hoa Problem

having set up a few HOA's during the development process, you will need to find out if first a management company is managing your HOA. if that is the case, you will need to address your problem with them...threaten to organize with other members to remove thier company and replace it with another management team. they will not like this and will be forced to act asap. if there is a board which consists of residents, add yourself to the board and monitor the budgets closely. if you cannot add yourself to the board you will have to organize the other HOA members. its a pain in the rear, but if you threaten not to pay, you should first look into your purchase and sale contract to find any clauses related to HOA dues etc. hope that helps.

Moderator cut: signatures and advertising not allowed per site TOS

Last edited by da jammer; 12-20-2007 at 05:51 AM..

Old 12-20-2007, 07:32 AM

2,072 posts, read 11,253,929 times
You need to contact someone on the Board - preferably the President or VP. Management companies are there to GUIDE the Board. The Board makes the decisions. I agree that the management company should have programmed the intercom system - it's hard to believe they "lost the instructions" - any moron can figure it out. But the roof is not the management's decision. They can call a roofer out for an estimate, but if it's over their spending limitations, (the norm is $250)the Board has to approve it.

Maybe you have a very weak Board of Directors. In that case, go to the meetings and get involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or