Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 01:42 PM

10,035 posts, read 9,512,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
people with that kind of cars and cash don't care what their insurance costs
It's LA, many of those luxury car owners can barely afford the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 09:35 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,134,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah I have no problem with people creeping on the right after stopping.
As long as they don't force pedestrians to step into the traffic lane to get around them.

It is almost necessary to creep forward at a red light or otherwise your sight line to oncoming traffic is blocked by the car or truck next to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
It's LA, many of those luxury car owners can barely afford the car.
As far as I'm concerned, wealth is its own punishment. I hope to be punished soon!

I'm very happy with my 2007 Toyota.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:00 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
I used to think LA drivers were the worst, but they don't compare to Florida. My brother says that using turn signals there is considered giving intelligence to the enemy.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I used to think LA drivers were the worst, but they don't compare to Florida. My brother says that using turn signals there is considered giving intelligence to the enemy.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:58 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,831,517 times
Quote:
That's what I do. First I come to a complete stop before the limit line. At that point I cannot see past adjacent cars, cannot see approaching cars, can see only a small part of the crosswalk. As I creep forward if I see pedestrians I stop and let them pass. Finally my bumper is at the far edge of the crosswalk and I can see oncoming traffic and only then when there is a clear stretch do I make my turn.

As a pedestrian, if a car has covered so much of the crosswalk that I have to step out into the traffic lane to get around their car, I smack their hood with my flat palm! If they react I give them the universal hand signal used for insult. If they get out of their car I run like hell! Never had to do that. Are you going to leave your car and chase a pedestrian on foot for basically doing no harm to your car? Did you remember your keys? Will your car be there when you get back. Did the guy stuck behind you reach out and key your car in annoyance?

I remember a time at Trader Joe's in Encino where a woman started backing out and almost ran me down as I walked behind her car. I smacked her car as hard as I could with the flat of my palm. She got out of her car and gave me a very nasty, old lady look. I smiled and waved.

Note that Lovehound is a man.
You sound like a great pedestrian. Two wrongs = right. There will be a day when you F with the wrong person. Best of luck in your walking.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
You sound like a great pedestrian. Two wrongs = right. There will be a day when you F with the wrong person. Best of luck in your walking.
I run fast and the slap does no harm to anything but the driver's feelings. And what, he's going to leave his car and chase after me? And I have a head start?

Besides I'm not going to do that to a 250 pound big lunker 6'-6" tall. I'm not stupid.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:19 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,502 times
This driving behavior is not exclusive to LA. As someone from Phoenix, I always notice how much better the drivers generally are there than here. Signal usage in LA is much higher, people tend to keep out of the left lane on freeways except when passing or stuck in traffic, drivers will let you out if they see you trying to get from a parking space back into the flow of traffic, and there isn't nearly the amount of random braking, nonsensical lane changing, speed differentials, and random cutting off that takes place here. Drivers there seem to work together to keep traffic flowing as much as possible. The race to be first at the red light happens here, people blocking crosswalks to turn happens here, horn honking and road rage happen here, and people trying to run down pedestrians and jaywalkers happens here too.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:34 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,831,517 times
Quote:
I run fast and the slap does no harm to anything but the driver's feelings. And what, he's going to leave his car and chase after me? And I have a head start?

Besides I'm not going to do that to a 250 pound big lunker 6'-6" tall. I'm not stupid.
Once I was driving to work on Santa Monica Blvd. Traffic came to a dead stop at Fairfax. A tin, petite woman got out of her car in the left lane and jumped through the window of the car next to her in the right lane and started beating the female driver. Her friend got out of the car and tried to pull her out of the window. I took a picture of her legs hanging out of the car to call the cops.

I had a feeling I was going to be there until the cops came. Both of their cars were stopped in the middle of the street at 8am blocking Santa Monica's westbound traffic. (If I can find the picture I took on my computer tonight, I'll post it). When I was finally able to pull into the right turn lane to get around them 10 minutes later, everyone was out of the car. One woman was so bloody I couldn't even see her face. The woman who attacked her was being held back by her friend who had also gotten out of her car. And she was just screaming and screaming. It was probably the craziest thing I've ever seen in LA.

So I say good luck to you, hopefully you don't screw off the one guy who will actually get out of his car, leave it there, and chase you. From watching that, I honestly learned just to let things go. You never know who you are going to run into, what kind of person they are, or what kind of day they've had. So getting that slap on their car to show them who's who is so pointless and shows us all what kind of person you are. Seriously, it's just not worth it.

Edit: Found the picture on my FB.

Last edited by bpeeps; 07-07-2014 at 12:47 PM..

Old 07-07-2014, 12:55 PM

317 posts, read 403,823 times
This thread applies to every area of high population density. Not using turn signals and or being a jerk behind the wheel are not LA things. This happens everywhere in NY/NJ.

If there are a lot of people on in area, there will be more chances of "that ******* driver". Plus more people on the road=more frustration. It's really that simple.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:33 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Quote:

Just remember that size does not equal ability to kick someone's rear end. You never know what the small person you mess with is trained in. Or how mentally stable they are. Or if they have a weapon.

Bottom line, you are playing with fire and outrunning a bullet is a bit difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles