Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2007, 05:14 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,403,967 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I have recieved a job offer in the Burbank area for after graduation. I know many of you say "live where you work", but I've really wouldn't want to live in Burbank. I'd like to be on the beach side of the mountains; closer to downtown etc...

I'm looking for some detailed information about Los Feliz, bc it sounds great from what I have read on here. A few questions though...

I'm looking to spend about 1350 or less on a studio... Doable?
I have a 75 pound Collie, is the area dog friendly?
Is it possible to go on walks throghout the area without worry?
Quality supermarkets?
Music and entertainment venues?
What streets/neighborhoods would be ideal/bad for my situation?
Is there abundant parking? Meter spots?
Is there a good amount of young professionals in the area?
How about travel times... Beach, downtown, Burbank?
I've spent time in Redondo, Glendale, and Pasadena... Comparable in terms of lifestyle?

Any and all responses will Greatly appreciated! Thank you all for your time!!! Hope to here your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 06:00 PM

61 posts, read 257,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
Hey everyone,

I have recieved a job offer in the Burbank area for after graduation. I know many of you say "live where you work", but I've really wouldn't want to live in Burbank. I'd like to be on the beach side of the mountains; closer to downtown etc...
personally i find burbank boring. it's a little too concrete and *cute* for me. it's like a scaled down version of the too polished version of the westside to me. on the bright side, los feliz is not far from the beach. on a bad day it takes me about 30-40 min to get to the beach.. but that's taking into consideration bad rush hour traffic. it will realistically take you about that long to go anywhere in greater LA in traffic, maybe longer. if i want to head to more northern beaches like zuma or malibu you're looking about 45 min zero traffic- they're significantly farther out.. but still close relatively speaking.

Quote:
I'm looking for some detailed information about Los Feliz, bc it sounds great from what I have read on here. A few questions though...
we are served by the Northeast division of the LAPD. we typically have little to no police presence because we are the lowest crime area they have in that division. little to no crime trickles over to los feliz. the most i've endured is someone breaking into my truck and stealing my eye glasses. LA is odd when it comes to crime. crime rarely leaves where crime is. you can have nice areas right near ghettos (not saying that is the case of los feliz at all.. one just needs to take into account the los angeles demographic and how crime takes place.)

you can also google or check realty sites for crime/economic stats on an area you want. i think realtor.com has stats, i can't remember the exact sites i've seen los feliz economic stats or crime stats on, but they detail the demographic, household income, and general housing costs.

Quote:

I'm looking to spend about 1350 or less on a studio... Doable?
yes, although studios are harder to find. i live on los feliz blvd and there aren't any studios in my bldg at all. but i'm sure for $1350 for a studio you can find one if there are any available. $1350 for a studio in los feliz is realistic.

Quote:
I have a 75 pound Collie, is the area dog friendly?
one of the most dog friendliest areas in LA. i have a 110# german rottie with no problem and we're ALL very dog friendly here. as such we have a very big sense of community. it's not like what i hear about the rest of LA (although i don't dispute that this takes place, i just don't live in an area like that).. we usually know our neighbours, and i can walk to the market and hear people that know my name saying hello to me from passing cars.

Quote:
Is it possible to go on walks throghout the area without worry?
Quality supermarkets?
i walk my dog all times of the day or late night/early morning with ZERO concerns. in fact, i sometimes see others walking their dogs too at like 2 am. i don't have any concerns walking my dog or going out after dark. i am a 5'1 female too- i have zero worries or concerns about walking at night.

and i'm not painting a utopia in case you were wonder i am merely telling you the truth as i experience it day to day living here.

our quality markets are trader joes, gelson's and a newly renovated von's and albertson's. plus we have a nature mart.

the whole foods in glendale and in west hollywood are not too far away.

Quote:
Music and entertainment venues?
los feliz is right next to hollywood. we have akbar, luck bar, plus all of the hollywood hangouts right near us. plus lots of other larger venues within a hop/skip (coach house down south.. house of blues on sunset.) a ton of comedy clubs on sunset and nearby. we have a decent amount of amusement to keep us content in los feliz and hollywood or silverlake.

[quote=KnoxTown;2328734]
What streets/neighborhoods would be ideal/bad for my situation?
Is there abundant parking? Meter spots?
Is there a good amount of young professionals in the area?
How about travel times... Beach, downtown, Burbank?
I've spent time in Redondo, Glendale, and Pasadena... Comparable in terms of lifestyle?[/quote

redondo is very nice. a little more conservative for my tastes, but i'm a little more alternative.. that's why los feliz suits me. i have a cop friend that lives in redondo and we spend a lot of time there. the'yre a LOT closer to the beach than i am.

los feliz is comprised of young professionals (even though we may not look like it.) many of us are in real estate, production, or anything else you can think of. the average age i notice for most people where i live are in their 20s - 40s. those in their 50s are really *hip* and it's just a cool vibe here.

pasadena and glendale are really boring to me. pasadena has parts that i like.. most of it is really >>yawn<< to me.

burbank has a lot of industry people, but so does los feliz.

my suggestion to you is spend a friday or saturday night in each location. see what you vibe with more. or better yet, spend a non weekend night in these places to see how things are day to day. if you visit los feliz, bring your dog and enjoy a nice sunset meal with your pet at an outside cafe getting to know your soon to be neighbours!

Old 12-24-2007, 06:29 PM

p.s.

this is typical los feliz demographic taken on halloween at my son's school halloween party.

my son is the one with the proper RED light sabre in the foreground.. hehe.

but this how we are in los feliz.

where else can you have a vintage car show with adults egging kids dressed as darth vader to battle a bloody duel?

los feliz of course.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:36 PM

Wow! Thank you soo much for the post. It is greatly helpful!

When I said I wanted a studio, that isn't set in stone. I simply assumed it would be cheaper for that area. A 1 bedroom would be great too. The price I stated is also a guess. I just based it on the average starting salary at my employ. Hopefully, I will be able to raise that price a little bit. In terms of rentals, what quality building would I get for that price. Coming from Memphis, I paid 600 for a really nice pad in midtown... I just want to make sure that I won't be relegated to living in a dump.

Also, how are the public services in terms of convieniance? Post Office, Banks, Utility Offices?

Also, is there a good and dependable vet in the area?

Do you have dog parks?

Thanks again!

Old 12-24-2007, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Wow! Thank you soo much for the post. It is greatly helpful!

When I said I wanted a studio, that isn't set in stone. I simply assumed it would be cheaper for that area. A 1 bedroom would be great too. The price I stated is also a guess. I just based it on the average starting salary at my employ. Hopefully, I will be able to raise that price a little bit. In terms of rentals, what quality building would I get for that price. Coming from Memphis, I paid 600 for a really nice pad in midtown... I just want to make sure that I won't be relegated to living in a dump.

Also, how are the public services in terms of convieniance? Post Office, Banks, Utility Offices?

Also, is there a good and dependable vet in the area?

Do you have dog parks?

Thanks again!
we have a dog park on the other side of griffth. i don't go there too often. not a lot of dogs go there because it's pretty well hidden and you have to really know the park to find it. it's sorta hard to find.

i take my dog up into runyan (runyon?) canyon.. i take him to the dog park at the lake over in silverlake. it's like 4 min away from me down the hill- not far at all. sometimes i take my dog to the dog park right underneath the hollywood sign by the resevoir, but last time i went we had someone inform us it wasn't officially a leash free dog park. we had just sorta taken it over.

there are tons of places to take the pup.. no worries.

as far as vets. i go to two.. both are on los feliz blvd. one is gateway and the other is los feliz small animal hospital. they only see dogs and cats. i have to take my rats to a vet on the west side in culver city and i have to take the lizard somewhere else. but for a dog we have at least 3 vets in our area and one 24 hour emergency vet clinic in eagle rock like 10 min away. they're expensive as hell though, but worth it when your pet's life is on the line.

the 90027 post office sucks @ss. if i have to mail anything i usually go to the atwater post office or i use a 3rd party mailing place like box brothers on hillhurst. woe be upon you if you have to retrieve mail from the los feliz post office.

good luck! take a book and a lot of patience.

as for rentals, you'll be able to find a one bed for about $1400. .$1200 if you're REALLY lucky. a lot of our buildings in los feliz are old. not run down.. just old. like art nouveau/deco. my building was built in the 30s. we have really cool underground passages that are blocked off, but lead to when this used to be an office sorta complex. with like a dentist's office and back doors to our units that are permanently sealed.

we have a lot of history here too. and a lot of our buildings are modern of course. what attracts a lot of us to los feliz is the vibe, the old architecture with the high ceilings, wood floors, french windows and doors, and grand courtyards.

spend some time in los feliz.. you'll like it.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:09 PM

Thanks again! I think you sold me a new home!!! It sounds like the place I belong... Nice architecture, friendly people, good location, etc... wonderful! Ill probably be coming during spring break to visit, so maybe I can catch something unique going on.

I did have a couple more questions though...

How far in advance should I begin my apartment search?
Would LAX be the best airport to fly in to? Better alternatives?

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my barrage of questions. You are a saint!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:17 PM

naah, i'm not a saint.. lol just bored and waiting for my laundry to dry. lol just kidding. i can see that you seem to be interested in the area and i figure i live here so i may as well give you advice from someone that lives here.

the people are really friendly here.. i will admit that, we're sorta like the movers and shakers of tomorrow sorta. like the ones that are changing the face of corporate america in the sense that los feliz residents DO earn a lot of money.. but we tend to look a lot more alternative. but a lot of us still hold multiple degrees, are very open minded, earn a lot of money, are environmentally conscious and still maintain a unique sense of community.

i think it's because you can take care of pretty much anything you need to do within los feliz. and a lot of our entertainment or whatever is within waking distance. we are more of a pedestrian community. we walk more because things are close by, but also because we have to walk our dogs anyway. most places know we have dogs so they provide outdoor seating for those with pets.

i would say if you choose to look for housing in los feliz, then you may want to sorta start nailing down places now. because it seems with the housing crash, more previous home owners are now moving into apartments again.

as for airports, you can fly into burbank (bob hope airport) or you can fly into LAX.. lax is a hub so i'd rather fly there.. most airlines are cheaper into major hubs. sometimes john wayne airport down in the OC is cheaper. but the last thing i want to do is drive for an hour after a flight.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:50 PM

you're awesome!

Old 12-24-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
you're awesome!

i know..

happy holidays.. let me know how it turns out

Old 12-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Happy Holidays to you and your family! I'll definitely keep you updated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles