U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2007, 08:03 AM

413 posts, read 1,724,662 times

Advertisements

Do they exist in L.A.???
Prefer a staffing agency that caters to the entertainment industry, but I know I'll end up scrubbing toilets for awhile first, that's fine. Anyone know of any good staffing agencies? Keep hitting dead ends online so I thought I'd ask some of you who live in L.A. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 01:21 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,131,023 times
Hmmm... not sure about the entertainment industry. I went through Ajilon & RobertHalf for an accounting job... but I'm not sure if they do entertainment.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 6,229,465 times
I've used personnel plus and select personnel

Old 12-19-2007, 07:52 AM

47 posts, read 156,228 times
A good place to ask about temp agencies that cater to the entertainment industry is the employment board on Craigslist.

From what I gathered there, temping in the entertainment agency will not pay very well, situations can be abusive (at some places you may not be allowed to speak to people higher up on the food chain unless spoken too, you may have things thrown at you, etc) , what you look like matters, sometimes even more than skill, education, and experience. The pool for temping in the entertainment industry is huge; there is a nice little pool of the young, well, highly educated, and attractive who can accept an entertainment industry temp job paying very little $7 to $10, because their parents pay their rent, car payment, car insurance, etc. Those are just some of the people you will be competing with.

The small entertainment temp agencies are very picky, like Leslie Comar. If you are young Asian female or a young WASP male, they will definitely want you on the roster and you may get a job.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:00 AM

Maybe I'll just work at Borders or Best Buy or something. I don't wanna be around jerks like that. It's just not me. I'm more laid back and calm. $10 hr is about all I need and/or expected to get.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:46 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,709,083 times
Friedmann Personnel - 9000 Sunset Blvd - they're not as busy as they used to be.

Executive Temps - located in Burbank - they only deal with the big studios. I heard they were busy, but you need to call super early in the morning with your availability and HOPE they return your call.

Leslie Comar - SUCKS. That is all. I don't know about the asian or wasp male thing, but I don't doubt it.

If you're decently attractive, try getting work at one of the high end department stores that pay commission and give a base pay. Nordstroms will even pay you commission for departments that you don't work in.

One last thing, working for the entertainment companies is HIGHLY overrated and not worth it. They don't pay, you're constantly struggling and can get laid off for ANY REASON. Unless you work for one of the guilds, other than the mailroom or computer staff, you will NEVER meet anyone that's worked in the same department for more than five years. People move around or leave when their "dream" is not happening, then a new influx of bodies will come and take their place.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 PM

Seems disposable.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:23 PM

128 posts, read 433,578 times
What about temp agencies for non-entertainment industry jobs? Are people that work in Administrative & Human Resources fields able to find steady work at decent salaries through staffing agencies?

Old 12-19-2007, 01:32 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,709,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronze18 View Post
What about temp agencies for non-entertainment industry jobs? Are people that work in Administrative & Human Resources fields able to find steady work at decent salaries through staffing agencies?
I'm sorry, but I'm really not the one to say anything positive about the staffing companies here. My experience with them have been that they DO NOT HAVE ANY WORK - Temp or Perm. I don't know how they're surviving or if they're pigeon holing me in a certain category - I have a legal secretarial background, so they do NOT call me for anything else.

I've registered with so many, did well on tests, etc. and the calls come in far and few between.

Maybe somebody can PM you or post "busy" agencies, because I do not know who they are.

You'll definitely be able to get a job in retail though. This is what I had to eventually settle for. I didn't want to, but I'm working a position where I get a base pay PLUS commission, so it's all good. For now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles