U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 06:57 PM

2,574 posts, read 7,883,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I remember at 11:00pm when ON TV (and sometimes Select TV) would show "adult movies", if you turned your TV dial to just between 52 and 53 you could almost see what was going on.
i have friends who have no idea what i'm talking about when i mention ON and select tv. they think there was always cable. gawd, i feel old sometimes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 08:56 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,821,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
i feel old sometimes!
Same here; My eight year old is now reading Charlotte's Web, just like we did.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
This is probably going to be aimed more towards those over 40 or so. How has SoCal/L.A. changed from the mid 1970's to the present? What are the MAIN things that are different and what good changes, if any, have been made? Another stupid question, has the weather gradually changed in the past 30 years? I ask that cuz our weather here has changed alot. Longer winters, more humid summers.
I do alot of research for my own use on how places change and I was just curious to hear from some of you CA natives. Thanks!
kids no longer play outside. EVER. i think parents stopped saying "go outside and play" around the time that MTV was born, and no one under the age of thirty has experienced the disappointment of having to go home in the middle of a game of tag when the street lights came on before dark in the spring because they hadn't been reset for daylight saving time.

regarding the weather, i don't remember june-gloom when i was growing up. in my memory, the first weeks of june were always quite warm, all day long, and those hot mornings when i didn't have to wear a jacket to school were my first cue that school was almost out. the nosunshineuntil2pmifatall phenomenon that we now so readily associate with the month of june (and, increasingly, may as well) was not a part of my LA childhood.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Same here; My eight year old is now reading Charlotte's Web, just like we did.
when she's reading lord of the flies, it will really be over!

Old 12-19-2007, 05:29 AM

413 posts, read 1,725,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
kids no longer play outside. EVER. i think parents stopped saying "go outside and play" around the time that MTV was born, and no one under the age of thirty has experienced the disappointment of having to go home in the middle of a game of tag when the street lights came on before dark in the spring because they hadn't been reset for daylight saving time.

regarding the weather, i don't remember june-gloom when i was growing up. in my memory, the first weeks of june were always quite warm, all day long, and those hot mornings when i didn't have to wear a jacket to school were my first cue that school was almost out. the nosunshineuntil2pmifatall phenomenon that we now so readily associate with the month of june (and, increasingly, may as well) was not a part of my LA childhood.
Tell me more about this whole nosunshineuntil2 thing. Never heard of it. I've been to L.A. in May and while it looked like rain every morning it would get sunny around 10 and clear right up. Never been there in June though, please do tell.

All of your responses are quite interesting!!! I read Charlottes Web back in like 1984? I was 8. I also remember Harry and the Terrible Whatzit. I LOVED that book!!! I want it again for childhoods sake.

Marineland? What was that?

Old 12-19-2007, 07:05 AM

There is a June gloom. In fact it often turns into early July gloom. I remember back around 1991 or so a couple of days before July 4th I was working at Point Mugu NAS and we had a little pre July 4th cookout thing at the base picnic area (during work time). I was drinking cold soda and freezing in a down jacket. It was 58 degrees.

In Canoga Park it was like 95 degrees.

To paraphrase Mark Twain, The coldest winters I ever experienced were the summers at Point Mugu.

http://www.santabarbara.com/communit.../junegloom.asp

http://www.santabarbarasurfing.com/r...junegloom.html

Old 12-19-2007, 07:39 AM

413 posts, read 1,725,106 times
This seems aimed at Santa Barbara, is L.A. part of this June Gloom?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:07 AM

47 posts, read 156,271 times
I am not 40, but I have seen a shift in the city towards trying to 'solve' the poverty problem in a dishonest way. Take for instance the media blitz on the 'gentrification' of Downtown LA. Yes, the new buildings there are nice, but the rest looks like poo, especially with that Mission. Until elements like the Mission and Skid Row are razed, there is not much hope of turning Downtown LA into a middle class area. But, you never see that mentioned in the 'revitalize downtown LA' media campaign.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
This seems aimed at Santa Barbara, is L.A. part of this June Gloom?
Pretty much the entire SoCal coast. Maybe the bay area too, not sure.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:43 AM

1,287 posts, read 4,708,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanigirl View Post
I am not 40, but I have seen a shift in the city towards trying to 'solve' the poverty problem in a dishonest way. Take for instance the media blitz on the 'gentrification' of Downtown LA. Yes, the new buildings there are nice, but the rest looks like poo, especially with that Mission. Until elements like the Mission and Skid Row are razed, there is not much hope of turning Downtown LA into a middle class area. But, you never see that mentioned in the 'revitalize downtown LA' media campaign.
Downtown is a large area. It could be its own city given its physical size and the size of the residential and working populations. There are good areas of downtown and not so good. This is true of most downtowns or central business districts (CBD) across the U.S. LA is not unique in this regard. What does make LA unique is that it has one of the few downtowns or CBDs in the country that continues to experience rapid population growth and gentrification. Most of the new residents are young, affluent, professionals. According to a survey by the Downtown Business Improvement District, the median household income for downtown residents was $99,600 in 2006. Given this trend, I don't think downtown will ever become a middle class family neighborhood, but it will increasingly become a wealthy enclave of young, upwardly mobile professionals. This is what the data is indicating.

http://www.downtownla.com/pdfs/econ_...rvey022007.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or