Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,521 times

Advertisements

I have read a couple of the recent thread and found the community in this forum to be very helpful. I recently received an offer to go to LA for work and have about 30 days to figure it out. Here's a basic info of me and what I am looking for in the areas. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

I am a young female professional, and the work is downtown LA. I would like to not live downtown as I heard it was crowded. I would prefer public transportation as commute to work (although I would still have a car). And I would like a safe, affordable neighborhood for my first year. A lot of people in this forum suggested Pasadena (so are many of my coworkers). However, is it unrealistic for a budget of about $1,600 to stay around the Old Town Area of Pasadena for a 1 bedroom?

Also, I researched Glendale and South Pasadena neighborhoods as well. Having never been to LA or any of the neighborhoods, the impression I got is that these two places are a tad cheaper than old town pasadena, but does not have a lot of activities/night life? (If this is the only drawback, it won't be a deal breaker for me at all as I do not drink.)

I would also like to have a dog in the near future, specifically a German Shepherd. Is it almost impossible to find an apartment that would allow medium-large size dogs?

Also, does anyone know about how long the commute/train ride is from Pasadena to downtown LA, and from Glendale to downtown LA? Is it accurate to say the commute is around 30 minutes? I cannot do 1 hr commute anymore, but if I have to (to get a safe neighborhood with decent price), I would prefer public transportation.

I am making a 27-hour car ride to LA, so there are a lot of things on my TO-DO list. Any other suggestions regarding relocation/moving to LA in general is welcome!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 09:36 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
$1600 isn't unrealistic at all. I would say the market rate for 1br in Pasadena(near old town) starts at $1400 and goes up from there depending on quality of the building and the unit.

Old Town to DTLA 7th street station is 40 min.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:16 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
I would recommend not getting a German Shepard in you're going to rent. It's on a lot of restricted lists and it's a large dog. Having any dog limits your options A LOT, but having a large dog that is viewed unfavorably will be crippling.
But if you do move to Pasadena, it's a great area. I really like spending afternoons there, shopping and wandering. I also recommend the sandwich shop Float. Best sandwiches I've ever had, plus they do ice cream floats and have a huge soda selection. I'm glad I live in West Hollywood because if I lived in Pasadena I would be going to Float every day and getting a sandwich and a float every time.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:49 AM

38 posts, read 70,487 times
Aww, I'd love to get a German Shepherd as well!

I'm 21, and I am wanting to get into the field of K9 Police or the like.

But I heard big dogs are problems with renting, because there is either a huge fee, or not allowed in certain places.
I am from Pennsylvania, but I am looking as well with the same dog in mind, so that is from my experience.

I'm more than positive you can find a place that will allow a dog like that, but maybe with a small fee each month.

Old 07-13-2014, 12:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
German Shepherds are on the Dangerous Breed list. Think about getting liability insurance. Still, few private landlords and definitely few rental companies will be willing to chance it.

An example of such insurance, and a list of the dangerous breeds:
Dog Homeowners Liability Insurance | Dangerous Dog Breed Coverage | Einhorn Insurance

Old 07-13-2014, 12:16 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
German Shepherds are on the Dangerous Breed list. Think about getting liability insurance. Still, few private landlords and definitely few rental companies will be willing to chance it.

An example of such insurance, and a list of the dangerous breeds:
Dog Homeowners Liability Insurance | Dangerous Dog Breed Coverage | Einhorn Insurance

In addition it would be cruel to keep a dog that size like that locked up in a one bedroom apt. all day.That's a dog that needs a yard(a fenced in yard) to roam in.

OP, get yourself settled in, make some new friends(Pasadena would be perfect for you commute/cost wise) and forget the dog idea for now. Why move somewhere new and start adding complications like trying to find a place to live and making it harder by wanting a large dog?

See how many hours you're working, you may find at the end of the day the last thing you want to do is go walk the dog.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:40 PM

I kind of figured that it would be stretching it to want a dog when I am renting. Just wanted to see if LA would be different with where I am living right now, but apparently not. So I will settle for volunteer at the rescue center for now.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
$1600 isn't unrealistic at all. I would say the market rate for 1br in Pasadena(near old town) starts at $1400 and goes up from there depending on quality of the building and the unit.

Old Town to DTLA 7th street station is 40 min.

Thanks so much! I would love to live in the Old Town neighborhood. It is good to know that my budget can get me somewhere with that. It would be really convenient if I can get into this neighborhood and just take the gold line into the city.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:22 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovegoodyu View Post
Thanks so much! I would love to live in the Old Town neighborhood. It is good to know that my budget can get me somewhere with that. It would be really convenient if I can get into this neighborhood and just take the gold line into the city.
If you want to live near Old Town Pasadena and be walkable to the Gold Line, find a place very close to Memorial Park Station, Del Mar Station, and maybe Fillmore Station.

Lake Station is more "Downtown" than "Old Town" and Allen Station is probably far too suburban for your liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles