Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 10:13 AM

32 posts, read 170,908 times

Advertisements

Did a few searches and didnt find anything here.

Moving to Venice in 2 weeks, and have a big semi-truck moving company moving my stuff from here to there. Here in Chicago I needed to go down to city hall and get a parking permit for the truck so no parking signs could be put up and the truck could park somewhere to load my stuff.

Having visited Venice it looks like its a similar situation there with the lack of parking for such a big truck, so Im assuming there is probably a similar permit I can get. Unfortunately, internet research hasnt led me to the right information so far, anyone here have any experience with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 49,136 times
Default Did you find the answer for this?

I'm moving from Chicago to LA in October and am looking to get a permit for the moving truck, as well. So far...no luck! Let me know...

Old 09-18-2008, 01:53 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,607,558 times
I usually see moving vans double-parked when there is no space available, so I don't think we do that here, but you can call LA Parking Enforcement to find out.

City of Los Angeles: Parking Violations Bureau

Old 06-27-2011, 05:51 PM

7 posts, read 141,791 times
I know this thread is out of date but I am moving to Los Angeles this week and I've struggled to get a permit for the last two weeks.

My apartment is surrounded by other complexes and there is usually no parking out front.

I called many people and received many phone numbers and finally got these two:

310-575-8138 (number for city engineers/DOT)
213-485-2298 (number for temporary signs)

HOWEVER! I have left countless messages on the answering machines and received no answer. The message also states that "due to staffing reduction there is no one to answer your call. Leave a message and someone will get back to you within several days."

I also found on the DOT website that they are only dealing with problems of more immediate concern. Which pretty much means nobody will care about you needing to block off some space for your moving truck. We are going to just print our own no parking signs and post them anyway the evening before the truck arrives and hope for the best. We are also going to try to park our cars out front to save that space. Hope your luck is better than ours has been.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,498,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icefly View Post
,,,,Which pretty much means nobody will care about you needing to block off some space for your moving truck. We are going to just print our own no parking signs and post them anyway the evening before the truck arrives and hope for the best. We are also going to try to park our cars out front to save that space. Hope your luck is better than ours has been.
No permits are available. Good luck with homemade signs, you are better off parking cars to save the spot.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:08 PM

So it turns out the number to call is the second number I originally posted:

213-485-2298 (number for temporary signs)

I ended up finally getting a hold of someone at this office who helped me out. We ended up getting temporary signs purchased for $34.16 and they will be posted for the day of our move-in. They tell you to call parking enforcement about any issues regarding ticketing. But there is a "relaxed" attitude about a moving truck.

We are not actually getting a permit for the truck but we are getting a reserved section of the street that is good for loading and unloading only.

If you need to reserve a section of the street for your moving truck call this number. They will get it all sorted out very quickly. They like 5 business days notice before posting.

Hope this helps anyone who needs this in the future.

Last edited by icefly; 06-28-2011 at 04:29 PM..

Old 06-28-2011, 10:36 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,621,478 times
Thanks to all the advice and updated numbers.

For what it's worth, when we moved to and from Hollywood (where the on-street parking is very tight) we didn't bother with a permit. Probably should have, but didn't think of it. The movers just double-parked out front. It wasn't a problem. Now if you have a TON of stuff or will be taking a long time it could be an issue, and I can certainly understand the peace-of-mind that comes with having spots available, but don't stress out about it. I don't think anyone is going to care (we've all been there, done that), and if they do, the movers will probably be gone by the time anyone else gets around to doing anything about it.(one time for another move the truck had to slightly move at one point to let someone out of a spot, but that wasn't a big deal, either.)

Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 AM

199 posts, read 542,541 times
I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier as I could have helped. But you got your permit and that's what counts.

I had a big truck, and with the parking enforcement people driving through the neighborhood all day long (Miracle Mile) I was glad I'd paid for the space. Just not worth taking chances when the city, imo, seemed to have stepped up the ticket game.

And yep, the permit I bought was not specifically for the truck, but for 30 feet of space for loading and unloading. They had the signs out there by 6am and the permit was good until 6pm.

Good luck with your move, icefly and enjoy L.A.!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:43 AM

My move went pretty smoothly. They posted signs a couple days before the truck arrived. One of them on an orange cone which everyone around my apartment felt it was ok to just move and place it wherever they wanted. I kept having to put it back. The moving company literally just dropped off the trailer with our stuff and let it sit there for the entire weekend even though the movers were done unloading Friday afternoon. Sorry neighbors...

Old 07-14-2011, 12:35 PM

23,771 posts, read 28,844,022 times
Why would someone need a parking permit for a moving truck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles