Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 6,343 times

Advertisements

I know this has been covered a lot but it hasn't covered what I need specifically.

I will be moving to the LA area from the Midwest in about a month or so. I just graduated and have a great job lined up. It's in the San Fernando Valley area. I didn't want to live right next to work. Just a weird quirk. I am comfortable/ok with a 20-30 minute commute from home to work.

So I asked around and a lot of people suggested Thousand Oaks, Moorpark etc. These places are more family oriented - which is not a bad thing. I don't want to live too close to the city for obvious reasons: high crime and bad traffic in the morning and evening. The thing is I am female, 21 and African American. I am not much into partying and drinking but I do like fun. I guess what it comes down to is that I would like to be in an area where I will be able to meet new people my age.

I want it all! Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 09:13 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Well, sadly most areas near NW SFV is families. The closest areas would be Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, Studio City, North Hollywood, and Burbank. Northridge is full of young people because there is a university there. I bet that means there is also diversity there.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaToLA View Post
I know this has been covered a lot but it hasn't covered what I need specifically.

I will be moving to the LA area from the Midwest in about a month or so. I just graduated and have a great job lined up. It's in the San Fernando Valley area. I didn't want to live right next to work. Just a weird quirk. I am comfortable/ok with a 20-30 minute commute from home to work.

So I asked around and a lot of people suggested Thousand Oaks, Moorpark etc. These places are more family oriented - which is not a bad thing. I don't want to live too close to the city for obvious reasons: high crime and bad traffic in the morning and evening. The thing is I am female, 21 and African American. I am not much into partying and drinking but I do like fun. I guess what it comes down to is that I would like to be in an area where I will be able to meet new people my age.

I want it all! Any suggestions? Thanks!
More information is needed.

Where (intersection, community in the SFV) will you be working?
What is your rental budget or housing price range?

Old 12-20-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
More information is needed.

Where (intersection, community in the SFV) will you be working?
What is your rental budget or housing price range?

I will be working near Canoga Park. My budget for an apartment is anything up to $1600. I've found places I like. There is Arroyo in TO, Archstone in SM.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:17 AM

I would say look for a place along the 101 or along Ventura Boulevard as far east as maybe Encino (which is sort of too far east anyway) and as far west as Thousand Oaks. The more east (Encino, Tarzana, Woodland Hills, Calabasas) might be a bit more entertaining than the western side of this corridor (Agoura, Thousand Oaks, Westlake Village). The western side is more suburban, family, etc. The eastern side might have more clubs, restaurants, cosmopolitan shopping, etc but it still is not as cosmopolitan/clubbish/social activities as many other parts of LA (the west side for example). Also the eastern side of the corridor I mentioned will get you over the hill to west LA, hollywood, beverly hills, etc for weekend stuff like clubs, entertainment.
I am really am not familiar with what $1600/mo will get you on this corridor, maybe not much. I sort of posted without regard to rent. It might be a challenge financially. You really don't want to drive too far for commuting and some parts of the valley (canoga park, reseda) will have neighborhoods that would be considered (politely) dull.

One other place you might consider....is the area around Cal State Northridge, simply because there are going to be people your age around there. CSUN is not a school that people graduate at 21. There will be lots of people living around there in their mid 20s. I went to CSUN (79-86) and there were plenty of African American students there. So in that sense you would be able to meet people around your age and that area is not unsafe. Of course they are students and will be studying but I thought I'd mention it. It would also be more likely to find something in the $1600/mo there too. Check it out.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:09 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,346,611 times
Here are some in Encino. Stay south of the 101 Freeway in this area.
http://beta.realtor.com/search/searc...0&bor=2&typ=40

That would be the most fun area because you can hop right over to Studio City, Sherman Oaks, and even Hollywood and Santa Monica.

Try Northridge near the university because there are several college kids and 20 year olds because, as Charles said, it's not exactly a regular college in which everyone graduates within 4-5 years.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:27 PM

24 posts, read 101,331 times
My honest advice to you is that you consider sucking up a bad commute and living on the Westside (Santa Monica, Brentwood, Venice, Westwood, etc.). Pros: great neighborhoods, close to the ocean and those California sunsets, generally very safe (except for some areas of Venice), lots and lots of young people. These areas are predominately white but any professional individual such as yourself will feel very welcome. Cons: your commute will take 45 minutes to 1 hour. Yikes.

Closer to your job, you might try Northridge as some have suggested. Calabasas is a very nice community with lots of apartments but yes, it's mostly a family suburb type place. You will get more apartment for your money in the Valley than on the Westside.

You may also want to consider Studio City, which is north of Hollywood and east of your workplace. It's younger than the rest of the valley, generally safe, and definitely has more going on than Northridge or Calabasas. Not sure about your commute but it won't be fun-- no doubt your drive will be the worst part of your experience in LA.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:32 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,991 times
Look around Woodland Hills. There are tons of apartment communities there populated with young professionals in their 20s and 30s. Check Craig's List, apartments.com, rent.com, etc. and type in "Woodland Hills." There is also a nice mall there if you like to shop and tons of restaurants, cafes and other retail establishments in the area.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the advise. I will try to look in the SFV area more. Hopefully I will find something decent.

Another question I had was with banks. I looked for Chase in the LA and it is nonexistent. What banks are well known and pretty good. I have heard of Wells Fargo and Wachovia. Does anyone have either of these and how do you like them? Thanks!

Old 12-21-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaToLA View Post
Thanks for the advise. I will try to look in the SFV area more. Hopefully I will find something decent.

Another question I had was with banks. I looked for Chase in the LA and it is nonexistent. What banks are well known and pretty good. I have heard of Wells Fargo and Wachovia. Does anyone have either of these and how do you like them? Thanks!
Would you consider a credit union? I have always used them. Who ever goes into (physically) banks anymore anyway (except maybe a couple times a year or so....)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles