Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 3,188 times

Advertisements

Anyone else live in a neighborhood where there is a business operating? We have a local business taking up parking spaces and not being very neighbor friendly. I realize that these are public streets, but when they take the parking spots in front of our homes everyday and we have to park elsewhere, it gets really old, really fast.

Parking issues are just the tip of the iceberg with these people, but I'd be happy just to find a solution for them not giving a **** about being considerate of their neighbors.

Anyone else dealing with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 10:12 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,853,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy_91401 View Post
Anyone else live in a neighborhood where there is a business operating? We have a local business taking up parking spaces and not being very neighbor friendly. I realize that these are public streets, but when they take the parking spots in front of our homes everyday and we have to park elsewhere, it gets really old, really fast.

Parking issues are just the tip of the iceberg with these people, but I'd be happy just to find a solution for them not giving a **** about being considerate of their neighbors.

Anyone else dealing with this?
Is it employees or customers?

Probably the best thing to do is get in contact with your local representative and try to get them to create parking restrictions in your neighborhood (i.e. 2 hour max parking without a permit). That way employees won't be parking in front of your house for an 8 hour shift. As far as customers, it won't help all that much - but there's not much a business can do to regulate where their customers park.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 AM

It is mostly employees. 5-10 cars on a regular basis. They all park as close to the business as possible.

"Customer" traffic is less of an issue, but they do not provide any parking for them so they park in front of our house.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:09 PM

118 posts, read 218,000 times
If it's mostly employees, you could always just ask the owner/manager to tell the employees to park farther away. No owner wants to **** off all the local residents that are the most likely sources of drop-in traffic.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:26 PM

I would think you could at least try to talk to the store owner / management and see if something can be done. It's kind of a ****** situation for the employees too, nothing is worse than having to worry about parking while you are at work. I worked at a coffee shop in Boston that had a similar situation, in which employees were constantly getting ticketed and having to run out to feed the meter - I took transit so it wasn't a problem for me, but I definitely felt their misery.

All in all I think this highlight's LA's need to improve transit because the city is simply too dense and not car-friendly enough to house all those people that want to drive and park everywhere (weird thing to say about LA but it is true).

Old 07-22-2014, 06:40 PM

401 posts, read 767,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
All in all I think this highlight's LA's need to improve transit because the city is simply too dense and not car-friendly enough to house all those people that want to drive and park everywhere (weird thing to say about LA but it is true).
and you have all those "smart-growth/ new-urbanists" who are pressuring municipalities to reduce or eliminate parking minimums for new housing and businesses.. which will only exacerbate situations like these

Old 07-22-2014, 10:40 PM

Unfortunately, We have tried to talk to the business owner but he doesn't care. Face 2 face he pretends he does, but he could care less about his neighbors.

I hate complaining, but we are sooo tired of it. They are not doing anything wrong or illegal... They are just soooo inconsiderate. I wish there was something we could do to change it.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGuy_91401 View Post
Unfortunately, We have tried to talk to the business owner but he doesn't care. Face 2 face he pretends he does, but he could care less about his neighbors.

I hate complaining, but we are sooo tired of it. They are not doing anything wrong or illegal... They are just soooo inconsiderate. I wish there was something we could do to change it.
I'm curious, in what part of LA are you located? Is it mostly single family homes next to a commercial strip?

Also, is there any dedicated parking for the business?

Old 07-23-2014, 05:05 PM

434 posts, read 1,018,943 times
In your shoes, I think I'd:

(*) find a web site or city resource that lists parking regs. A quick google check turned up: Can I Park There? : Department of Transportation : City of Los Angeles , but there must be something more comprehensive.

(*) look for a law applying to the situation you describe.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,563,646 times
What neighborhood is this? Most neighborhoods with lots of issues do have some kinds of regulations. I'd get in contact with city parking enforcement and let them know of the issue.

Also get your neighbors involved. Get them to sign the same letter to the owner and to parking enforcement. He might just think you're a lone complainer. If that doesn't work, let the community know that this business does not support the neighborhood. No one wants to be that guy.

We lived next to an empty business with three parking spots and when someone moved in, they let us know not to park there and we respected that. Then they brought in work trucks and took up the street parking day and night leaving those three spots open for customers. So that wasn't friendly and things with them and our neighbor went downhill quickly. He would wait for their trucks to move and make it a point to leave his cars there on the street to save the spots even though it was farther away from his home. It got pretty petty pretty quickly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles