Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 10:19 PM

301 posts, read 804,221 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm about to start my senior year of college and I'm getting a degree in French, but don't have much of a desire to do anything with it. (I did a semester of teaching English and really didn't enjoy it.) Anyways, by the time I figured this all out, it was already basically too late to change and I figure a generic humanities bachelors degree is better than spending another year (or more) in school taking out higher loans and trying to figure out what I want to do.

I googled the job market in LA, but most of the things I found online were circa 2008 or around there, which I suppose makes sense because 2008 was a pretty bad year. I searched this forum back a few pages, but couldn't find anything.

I'm wondering what the current (within the next year) job market is like in Los Angeles for recent college grads. Is it possible to get a job without moving here first/having ties? I currently live in South Carolina and while I have a couple of friends from California, I don't otherwise have ties to the area.

I do have work experience. I spent two years working as an office assistant doing all sorts of office things (everything from running errands to writing receipts to answering telephones to organizing events). I'm basically just looking for an "entry level" position somewhere in LA and I'm not sure where to start or even what the current opportunity is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,692,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oogax3Girl View Post
Hey everyone. I'm about to start my senior year of college and I'm getting a degree in French, but don't have much of a desire to do anything with it. (I did a semester of teaching English and really didn't enjoy it.) Anyways, by the time I figured this all out, it was already basically too late to change and I figure a generic humanities bachelors degree is better than spending another year (or more) in school taking out higher loans and trying to figure out what I want to do.

I googled the job market in LA, but most of the things I found online were circa 2008 or around there, which I suppose makes sense because 2008 was a pretty bad year. I searched this forum back a few pages, but couldn't find anything.

I'm wondering what the current (within the next year) job market is like in Los Angeles for recent college grads. Is it possible to get a job without moving here first/having ties? I currently live in South Carolina and while I have a couple of friends from California, I don't otherwise have ties to the area.

I do have work experience. I spent two years working as an office assistant doing all sorts of office things (everything from running errands to writing receipts to answering telephones to organizing events). I'm basically just looking for an "entry level" position somewhere in LA and I'm not sure where to start or even what the current opportunity is.
What school are you attending? Or at least its prestige/reputation? Employers will care about that especially if you have a "useless" degree ie. French.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:25 AM

301 posts, read 804,221 times
I go to the University of South Carolina, which is really well recognized in South Carolina and the southeast, but I'm not sure that many schools in the southeast (aside from perhaps somewhere like Duke) would hold a high reputation in California.

I should also note that I just spent a year living in France and the university that I went to there is one of the most reputable in all of France. (Something like the last five French presidents all attended there.) But again, I'm not sure how much clout that would carry in California.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:37 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,101 times
Tourism, hotels, french tutor. How much would it cost you to get a more useful degree. 30-40k. If that degree helps you get a "real" job, immediately instead of hunting for a year, the return of investment is pretty good.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:08 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,961 times
Start shopping for a mercedes benz right now...nothing is gonna bring the "ka-ching" in LA like a degree in French.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:52 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,842 times
You'll find something if you try hard enough, but cost of living is way high and wages are stagnant. So even if you get an "entry level job" you'll barely make it.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:15 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,850,744 times
You will land a decent job if you are intelligent and motivated--but don't expect your French degree from Univ of SC to be of much help.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:29 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,784 times
If you have office experience, you should be able to find an entry level office job. It'll be a hunt, but I'm sure you'll manage. Expect to have room mates, and to live in an area like Koreatown (if you're smart about where you find a job, you won't have to struggle with the extra expense of a vehicle) where you'll have access to great public transportation. I have a few friends that graduated with humanities degrees as well, and they went back to get some more technical degrees from a community college.

You might want to consider looking into a paralegal program. Make sure to get California residency first, so that tuition will be super cheap (last time I check it was $46 per unit at California Community Colleges for residents.) Many paralegal programs have night courses so you can work during the day. Graduates get hired fast since it allows for law firms to cut back on attorney expenses (not a great time to be a law school grad). If it isn't for you, at least it is a short term solution to getting yourself off the ground and not getting paid minimum wage. Once you're here you might be able to find a niche for yourself.

The French have a presence in L.A. due to the film industry (French Film Festival, French Cinema Festival a week of French Film Premieres in Hollywood) and the evolving photography scene in Los Angeles (Welcome to Paris Photo Los Angeles - international fine art photography fair - Paramount Pictures Studios). If you are savvy and make the right connections you could find yourself gaining frequent flyer miles between LA and Paris. Remember, your degree is an ASSET as long as you know how to use it. Best of luck! (Also check out: Bonjour L.A.! Los Angeles with a French touch - Los Angeles Francophone & Francophile )

Old 07-24-2014, 02:49 PM

925 posts, read 1,333,218 times
I guess its a little better than a spanish degree in LA

Old 07-24-2014, 02:55 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasuga888 View Post
I guess its a little better than a spanish degree in LA
Sarcasm noted, but if it were a degree in Spanish translation (legal) with certification, then the O.P. would be set. Or Korean for that matter - lots of Korean firms are use the L.A. as their launchpad for the North America market, and invest a lot here. (Perhaps I should learn Korean, tired of my jobs, ha )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles