Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 AM

1 posts, read 744 times

Advertisements

Seriously the driving is crazy especially on umm well all freeways. The 405 from Valley Vista to the 10 freeway has had construction going on for like 3 years it is by far one of the heavy traffic areas. There is a service called Zoom Errands (zoomerrands.com) that I actually use when I can't deal with the traffic. I get to stay home and they get to run my errands for me haa! I am counting the days to when I can get out of this city and go to my dream town of where 1 stoplight exists. I need some country roads LA traffic is too insane no matter what time of day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 10:20 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
Having lived in SoCal for 20+ years and having traveled to many major metropolitan areas all over the country and world, LA is one of the worst cities for traffic (DC is also very bad, San Francisco itself is also bad, Bangkok Thailand is also horrible, etc). It is not only the fact that the traffic is bad, but the area has a lot of urban sprawl which result in long commutes and the reactions of some of the drivers (e.g. road rage behaviors) only make the problem worse. Many of the drivers are also angry in their cars because of the traffic, so they take it out on other drivers.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:26 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
The traffic is blown way out of proportion. At rush hour a good number of streets are annoyingly slow, but most streets never get very bad and when it isn't rush hour you won't notice the traffic unless you're full of road rage. The traffic in NYC is MUCH worse but LA has gotten the label of having the worst traffic. I think people just need to have a knock against LA to have have something to complain about.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Agree completely, even with the midwest part. What I do like is that in L.A. most of the streets and freeway lanes are pretty wide. In some other cities I feel like the other cars are practically side-swiping me.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Yea, I mean all those scientific studies with actual facts and figures proving LA is the worst city in the US for traffic are meaningless right?!

10 American Cities With the Worst Traffic - TIME
Top 10 Worst Cities for Traffic
TomTom's 10 worst traffic cities - Kelley Blue Book

etc...
Thank you! I basically came to say this exact same thing. Oh my anecdotal information from driving in a different city one time as a tourist is totally factually correct over studies that were done using GPS, mapping, congestion data, traffic cameras and real-world time data. Seriously, LA has the worst traffic in the nation. Any article you Google will provide the facts.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:58 AM

528 posts, read 867,015 times
Well if all those stats say it, it must be true. I don't think the media can be making it up if each and every report has L.A at number one. Coincidentally the top 5 at least has 3 California cities in it.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:06 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Having patrolled the streets of L.A. for 40 years, L.A. traffic is no worse than any other metropolitan city. I recently came back from a trip in the midwest and was astounded at the traffic in such cities as Milwaukee, Chicago, and Minneapolis-St. Paul. What got my attention the most was in the twin cities. Pedestrians completely ignore traffic signals and walk into traffic whenever they feel like it. I though I was in NYC.
I have friends who visited LA for business from the Minneapolis suburbs. Their first day here they told me they got a verbal warning for jaywalking in downtown Long Beach. They were shocked and couldn't believe that was an actual law. That was last year when we had that really bad batch of pedestrians getting hit every week or two. I can't imagine that it is safe to just walk out into the streets in Minneapolis.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:47 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
They say if you can drive here (LA, OC, and IE) then you can pretty much drive anywhere in the lower 48 states except NYC..

Old 07-25-2014, 02:56 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Yea, I mean all those scientific studies with actual facts and figures proving LA is the worst city in the US for traffic are meaningless right?!

10 American Cities With the Worst Traffic - TIME
Top 10 Worst Cities for Traffic
TomTom's 10 worst traffic cities - Kelley Blue Book

etc...
Yeah, because that tells the whole story.

In other major cities the traffic is lessened by a higher percentage of people taking public transportation every day. But in those cities it takes MUCH longer to get anywhere that way and it isn't sensible to own a car if you aren't loaded. NYC, for example, falls into this category. It takes longer to travel shorter distances by car, and several times longer to get anywhere via public transit. For example, right now in NYC it would take me an hour or longer to travel the 14 miles from Manhattan to the Bronx by car.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:21 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
I live in Phoenix and Tucson and find the drivers in LA to be much better than Arizona, generally....though number of vehicles and speeds are high in LA on both surface streets and the highways, there's a sense of "we're all in this together" and, therefore, everybody helps each other out....LA drivers wait for pedestrians, stop quickly at yellow-turning-red lights, and usually travel at the same rate as others.....the occasional speed-demon weaving thru traffic appears, but is easy to avoid and ignore....

here in Arizona, traffic hasn't gotten to crisis levels yet, so drivers still feel they can be somewhat independent (!)...plus the wide variety of recent transplants (with the accompanying variety of driving styles from "back home") leads to incongruous traffic patterns here....

possibly the "worst traffic in the country" lists that LA is on only comes from the sheer number of cars on the road and not the quality of the drivers??

Old 07-25-2014, 06:46 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,537,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Yeah, because that tells the whole story.

In other major cities the traffic is lessened by a higher percentage of people taking public transportation every day. But in those cities it takes MUCH longer to get anywhere that way and it isn't sensible to own a car if you aren't loaded. NYC, for example, falls into this category. It takes longer to travel shorter distances by car, and several times longer to get anywhere via public transit. For example, right now in NYC it would take me an hour or longer to travel the 14 miles from Manhattan to the Bronx by car.
...and it takes my friend 1hr 10min on average to go 15 miles from his job by the Spectrum in Irvine to his home here in Anaheim, and thats OC, not LA. So whats your point? Every study you look at agrees LA has the worst traffic in the country. Find just ONE that doesn't. We'll be waiting....

Old 07-25-2014, 06:50 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
It's the worst I have seen, add motorcycles splitting lanes at freeway speed at dead stop, just nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles