Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,901 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking at potentially moving to Long Beach for my employer, however, I am trying to determine if this is a good move for my family.

I need to know what areas/neighborhoods are family friendly, with good schools and within a 30 min. commute. Our max housing range is $400,000.00.

What factors should I consider and what would you suggest?

(I saw a similar thread but it was dated 2010 so longing for more current information.)

Thank you for your help.

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 09:21 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,631,284 times
So:

-good schools
-max 30 minute commute
-400k max budget

Due to distance and school requirements you are limited to long beach, Lakewood, and perhaps Bellflower, Cerritos, Los Alamitos, Seal Beach, and Torrance. There are literally no other communities that fit those exact requirements.

Now based on price, you are limited only to Long Beach, Lakewood, and Bellflower. The other places will all cost over $600k for a 3/2 1500 sq ft house. And I'm not sure your price will work in LB, Lakewood, or Bellflower. You should take a look at recent solds on Redfin to see if it's even possible.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:57 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
check out lakewood. the homes are older and smaller but the schools are generally pretty good from what i hear. it's also very diverse from what i understand (in a good way).

Old 07-25-2014, 12:08 PM

52,271 posts, read 52,700,922 times
400k puts you in the condo/townhome market, for the most part. Lakewood and LB are pretty good, the eastern and more southern parts of LB are good, Lakewood is a solid choice too, though the commute will be a bit further.

I'd try and avoid Bellflower, it's not entirely bad, but I've lived there and know people there, it's on the edge of getting a little too ratty, IMHO of course.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:17 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Lakewood is good, but it is split into three school districts. The schools are not too bad, even the ones in LB Unified. The east third of Long Beach is pretty safe and the schools perform well.

I would have recommended Torrance, but the 400k would get you a townhome or condo. That budget won't get you much in the nicer parts of LB either. The market is really coming back.

realtor dot com shows a few 2br 2bath town homes (one 3 bedroom) in Cypress. That is a great little city and just inside the Orange County line. It also shows a few 3 br 1 bath houses in Lakewood. Cypress to me feels newer and more open with better parks and shopping, but with kids you'll want more space.

Right now might be a better time to rent than buy. Cypress has some 3 bedroom townhouses for 2200 on that site.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,901 times
Thank you. We are flexible on some points I just don't want my husband's commute 2 hour's to work 2 hour's from work.
How would commuting from long beach to Huntington beach be like? Pasadena?

We are not opposed to down sizing either so a nice condo or townhouse is feasible. I know we won't be in an equivalent house.

C.

Old 07-25-2014, 04:06 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,788,079 times
Pasadena is expensive and would be an insane commute...cross that off broski

Old 07-25-2014, 04:23 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,057 times
Focus on neighborhoods within Long Beach, like Bixby Knolls and California Heights - both which have really great schools, charming homes, quaint shops, local neighborhood cafes...and just as important, a trader joes, haha.

calheights.org

Other great neighborhoods: Belmont Heights, Belmont Shore etc.

The major negative is that I doubt you'll be able to find any homes at your price range within those nabes -_- (Maybe with some luck!)

I would also consider the South Bay. I don't think the commute from Torrance to Long Beach down the 405s and then 705s should be too bad(?)

Old 07-25-2014, 08:45 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Commute from Huntington Beach (depending on the area) to the aquarium area would be maybe 30 minutes up PCH then down Ocean. I'd avoid the 405 for that. Fountain Valley would be maybe 45 minutes to an hour if traffic was bad, I know lots of teachers in FV and it's a pretty good district. Westminster and Garden Grove are no goes for nice areas! But the western parts of those cities are decent but pricy.

I would stick to East Long Beach, Lakewood, NW areas of Orange County like Cypress, Huntington Beach, La Palma.

Cerritos would be too pricy, that is a very VERY nice little city. There are some rentals there that aren't too terribly bad.

No Go Cities include: Artesia, Hawaiian Gardens (though it is improving!), and Carson south of the 405 has way too many environmental issues! I have met SO many folks in their twenties and thirties who have already dealt with cancer!

Old 07-26-2014, 09:07 AM

4,451 posts, read 6,801,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLL78 View Post
Thank you. We are flexible on some points I just don't want my husband's commute 2 hour's to work 2 hour's from work.
How would commuting from long beach to Huntington beach be like? Pasadena?

We are not opposed to down sizing either so a nice condo or townhouse is feasible. I know we won't be in an equivalent house.

C.
2/2 Condos are under 400k in southern Torrance and he can take the bridge over to Long Beach. The drive is an easy 15-20 minutes.

Pasadena would be about an hour each way with the slowest part being near Pasadena itself.

What time does your husband travel to work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles