Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 08:44 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Exactly, I agree. Being truly rich I feel is knowing, with all practical certainty, that you never have to work or worry in your life and you can be comfortable.
You can't be rich if you have to work ever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 09:55 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,307,390 times
if you HAVE to, as in, you'll go into poverty if you don't, yeah. I know lots of rich people like yourself work to stay busy or because they like to.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:40 AM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
To live the "L.A. lifestyle", which means you have a nice house and a late model BMW/Mercedes and wear clean clothes to work, you'd need a minimum of 175k per year.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:13 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
To live the "L.A. lifestyle", which means you have a nice house and a late model BMW/Mercedes and wear clean clothes to work, you'd need a minimum of 175k per year.
Bah. I have the nice house but I'm not into cars. I have a 7 year old 4x4 SUV that I really like, and unlike a lot of 4x4 owners I actually drive mine into the back country (in Utah and Arizona).

I dress like a slob and part of it is that I work at home, and I don't really care what people think. In fact I have to head over to the supermarket in a few minutes and I'm wearing sweat pants, worn out Reeboks, and a black Metallica T-shirt that my dog got all hairy. I get along fine with the employees and customers at the supermarket because of my cheerful attitude. I've always got a smile and a kind word for anybody I run into at the supermarket (or shopping anywhere).

I don't make any 175K or even near that, but on the other hand since I work at home (self employed) I have no commuter expense, no fancy clothing expense, no fancy car expense. I love to cook so I mostly feed myself from food I cook from fresh ingredients, so I don't have a very high food budget either.

I think it depends on your lifestyle. And I think there's more than one "L.A. lifestyle." There isn't any fixed definition of that.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:35 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I have to head over to the supermarket in a few minutes and I'm wearing sweat pants, worn out Reeboks, and a black Metallica T-shirt that my dog got all hairy.
Be careful. Everyone will think you're a movie star, dressed like that.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Be careful. Everyone will think you're a movie star, dressed like that.
LOL! I wish I had the looks of a leading man movie star, but alas if I were a movie star I'd be a character actor with my average looks, quirky sense of humor and devil may care attitude about fashion.

Actually one of the things I like most about California living as opposed to perhaps NYC is that even at work many of us -- even in professional jobs -- dress casual. Now if you're a banker or other career in that strata of course you wear a good suit, tie, expensive shoes, and are all around well groomed.

But in my career as an engineer the mode of attire for most engineers was T-shirt, jeans or equivalent, sneakers. From what I've seen in other companies most of the workers dress that way too.

Well I hear they dress formally in many occupations in NYC. I haven't ever been there and it's one of my lifelong dreams to reach my final reward without ever seeing NYC except on TV.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:54 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
The title of this post is "In a major city like Los Angeles, at what income level is one considered rich?"

Is the use of "like" above grammatically incorrect? I'm thinking of those old Winston cigarette commercials. Would it be more grammatically acceptable to say "In a major city such as Los Angeles, at what income level is one considered rich?"

Old 08-05-2014, 09:55 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motivated15 View Post
That doesn't answer my question. My question is solely by income not by wealth. I'm not asking for you to define rich according to an individuals net worth. I am asking whats considered rich by a persons income.

Thanks
Income? $5 Million per year.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:56 AM

Sorry my pedantic friend but "In a major city like Los Angeles... etc." is grammatically correct although "such as" has a more pleasing sound to it.

Compared to some titles I've seen in forums it's refreshing to see a title that indicates what the topic is.

How many posts have you seen titled like "need help" ???

Old 08-06-2014, 10:50 PM

545 posts, read 513,785 times
IMO rich is never having to work again and where you can live off interest on your income. That being said and assuming a very low rate of return of 1%, I think you could get nicely by in Los Angeles on $200,000 to $300,000 in income assuming your house is paid for. So that to me means rich is somewhere like a net worth of $30 million. Anything more than that and it is just a bigger version of something that is already pretty good.

But money is money. You can be happy with not much of it if you have a certain personality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles