Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:14 PM

413 posts, read 1,842,538 times

Advertisements

This is probably going to be aimed more towards those over 40 or so. How has SoCal/L.A. changed from the mid 1970's to the present? What are the MAIN things that are different and what good changes, if any, have been made? Another stupid question, has the weather gradually changed in the past 30 years? I ask that cuz our weather here has changed alot. Longer winters, more humid summers.
I do alot of research for my own use on how places change and I was just curious to hear from some of you CA natives. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 12:58 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,364,193 times
The air's better now.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:04 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,543,912 times
Beers at Dodger Stadium were $0.65 in 1977. And you could buy four at a time.
Now More traffic (the 405 in the Sepulveda Pass 1962)

Now Less smog
Now I think it is more expensive for housing per earning dollar but not sure
Now traffic on the 101 in the west San Fernando Valley (to the Conejo Valley and the Oxnard Plain) flows east to west in the mornings and west to east in the afternoon. It used to be the opposite.
Then many more aerospace companies in the San Fernando Valley: Lockheed, Hughes, Teledyne. Rocketdyne and Litton (Northrop Grumman) are basically the last of the glory days.
There was no such thing as a snowboard.
Then Dodger Stadium was about $3 for top deck and the outfield pavilions.
Then Anyone could afford a hockey ticket.
Air Raid sirens were tested last Friday of the month at 10AM.
One area code 213
LAX was single deck

I could go on for pages.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:44 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,885,215 times
Ditto everything above and I'll add a few from the 70s when I grew up in Palos Verdes:

In the 70s you . . .

. . . could drive to San Diego in 90 minutes
. . . could safely hitchhike to the beach
. . . actually knew your neighbors by name
. . . could get off of "The Hill" in about 15mins during rush hour
. . . could get a great full or part time job at Marineland for some summer cash
. . . wouldn't be concerned if your teenager left early and returned late
. . . could go from your door to your gate at LAX in about 30 minutes
. . . could get a walk-up tee time at Los Verdes Golf Course
. . . could slide down the 13th fairway at Los Verdes on blocks of ice
. . . could tee-pee your friend's house without fear of being shot or arrested
. . . could drown your break-up sorrows with a Farrells "Trough," oink, oink

So many more . . .

Old 12-18-2007, 02:45 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,541,684 times
I remember a lot of broken glass on the sidewalks and streets.
The air was clearer but it stunk my eyes.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:59 PM

I think you used to be able to buy 100+ octane gas.
Gas was more expensive when adjusted for inflation.
Chick Hearn called the Laker games.
Anyone remember ON TV for the Kings and Lakers back around 77 or 78? I think it preceded Prime Ticket.

I vaguely remember it getting cooler faster at night growing up in the west San Fernando Valley in teh 1960s and early 1970s. I think this would be attributed to the lack of present day urban island heating

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_heat_island

Old 12-18-2007, 03:04 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,878,923 times
For ten cents you could ride the RTD bus to downtown and watch 4 kung fu movies in the cinemas for $1.50.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Chick Hearn called the Laker games.
Chick Hearn also Hosted "Bowling for Dollars" which was on just before "Wonderful World of Disney".

We had a football team in Los Angeles back then.
There was one kid in your class who was considered cool because he was Mexican and could speak Spanish as well as English.
Now, the air is better. No more coughing with chest pain when taking a deep breath.
We had Marineland.
We had Busch Gardens.
Back then, it was a treat to ride in the back of someone's pickup truck.
Water from water hoses tasted great.
Back then, we had Zodys and White Front instead of WalMart.
Back then, we had local sports heroes who were revered and we all wanted to be like them - Garvey, Cey, Nolan Ryan, Youngblood, Cromwell, Dryer, Ronnie Range (Thunder Birds Skate team) and none of them had tatoos or hung out with criminals.
We could pick up the Herald Examiner and read Allan Malamuds "Notes on a scorecard" section for sports info instead of Sportscenters "showy" junk.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Anyone remember ON TV for the Kings and Lakers back around 77 or 78? I think it preceded Prime Ticket.
I remember at 11:00pm when ON TV (and sometimes Select TV) would show "adult movies", if you turned your TV dial to just between 52 and 53 you could almost see what was going on.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Chick Hearn also Hosted "Bowling for Dollars" which was on just before "Wonderful World of Disney".

We had a football team in Los Angeles back then.
There was one kid in your class who was considered cool because he was Mexican and could speak Spanish as well as English.
Now, the air is better. No more coughing with chest pain when taking a deep breath.
We had Marineland.
We had Busch Gardens.
Back then, it was a treat to ride in the back of someone's pickup truck.
Water from water hoses tasted great.
Back then, we had Zodys and White Front instead of WalMart.
Back then, we had local sports heroes who were revered and we all wanted to be like them - Garvey, Cey, Nolan Ryan, Youngblood, Cromwell, Dryer, Ronnie Range (Thunder Birds Skate team) and none of them had tatoos or hung out with criminals.
We could pick up the Herald Examiner and read Allan Malamuds "Notes on a scorecard" section for sports info instead of Sportscenters "showy" junk.
Actually this thread is diverging from the intent of the original post. This stuff belongs in the Nostalgia thread......

//www.city-data.com/forum/calif...nostalgia.html

It was Ronnie Raines, Freddie Blassie, Dick Lane, Big Johnnie Johnson, John Tolos (the golden Greek), Kenji Shibuya

The Tolos brothers, The Golden Greeks

Masa Saito and Kinji Shibuya

Ronnie Raines

http://www.liquid-blue.com/photos/bandmembers/scott/imageDerby/79%20Scott%20Ronnie%20Rains%20Bombers.jpg (broken link)

Big Johnnie Johnson

http://www.liquid-blue.com/photos/bandmembers/scott/imageDerby/80%20Scott%20behind%20Big%20John.jpg (broken link)

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/20...mond_95171.php

Zachary All, from extra small to extra portly, 5467 Wilshire Boulevard (I still remember that address...)

http://www.etherworks.ca/images/caltiger.jpg (broken link)

And the legendary Jim Healy

http://www.johnspeedie.com/healy/healymemories.html

Last edited by Charles; 12-18-2007 at 05:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles