U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 PM

38 posts, read 137,707 times

Advertisements

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...la-home-center

native americans are leaving while immigrants (probably illegal) move in.I myself am considering a more than fair job offer in Ft Lauderdale but I am not sure I would like it there.Native of LA all my life.I hate to see so many leaving I think the high taxes and property are part of it.Also did any of you hear about the state budget being 14 billion short in the next few years.Gov arnie is supposed to hold an emergency session next month but republicans (thank goodness) have already said no to any tax increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 11:11 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,715,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAngel2008 View Post
The Native American population of So Cal has been declining ever since Father Serra set up the first missions. Nothing new ):

Old 12-21-2007, 01:23 AM

26 posts, read 191,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Native American population of So Cal has been declining ever since Father Serra set up the first missions. Nothing new ):
Hehe... That was funny, but I'm not sure that's exactly what was meant =]

Old 12-21-2007, 01:51 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 819,419 times
It's yet another jab at White people -- nothing new.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:04 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,740,673 times
He meant native Californians.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:38 PM

17,444 posts, read 24,715,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertC View Post
Hehe... That was funny, but I'm not sure that's exactly what was meant =]
I couldn't resist that joke. There are some posts on CityData that just demand sarcastic responses.

As for native Californians (of all ethnic backgrounds) moving out: this is true, due to the high cost of living here (and, TBF, in most of the desirable places in the US). Not that native Californians have been a majority in California during our lifetimes - the percentage of Californians born elsewhere has remained the same since the 1860s at 66%. Obviously the places they've come from have changed through the years, though.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:31 PM

16,250 posts, read 27,801,200 times
I am one that is leaving. We live up in Oxnard. I grew up there and in Port Hueneme. Have loved it my entire life. Just never able to buy a home because I missed the days when homes were $200,000 and less. It wasn't that long ago. These prices went throught the roof during the past 10 years. I know that things are declining. We are leaving for the city of Surprise, Arizona. A suburb of Phoenix. During the past 5 years I have visited that area and with all the people that have left the LA area, including Ventura County, Orange County and San Diego County, it feels like home. Just going to miss the beaches and the mild weather. But then prices have really dropped in the Phoenix metro area. Our home is less than $200,000 brand new. We love it hear, but we also love it there.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:20 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,620,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAngel2008 View Post
Also did any of you hear about the state budget being 14 billion short in the next few years.Gov arnie is supposed to hold an emergency session next month but republicans (thank goodness) have already said no to any tax increases.
I heard something yesterday on TV -- I don't know how true it is -- but I guess Arnold plans to let prisoners leave prison because there isn't any money to keep them incarcerated. The commentator thought this move might force Republicans to increase taxes.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:26 PM

27 posts, read 93,398 times
Letting prisoners out early, reason # 412 why I am leaving as well. Soon2B, my wife has family in Surprise, been there a few times and gotta say I kinda liked it, better than other areas around Pheonix I have been.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:05 PM

11,715 posts, read 36,680,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I heard something yesterday on TV -- I don't know how true it is -- but I guess Arnold plans to let prisoners leave prison because there isn't any money to keep them incarcerated. The commentator thought this move might force Republicans to increase taxes.
Since Davis was recalled, he state's revenues have risen at a faster rate than inflation + population growth, yet the legislature spends even MORE. Its like getting a 20% raise, then doubling your house payment. It makes no sense. Of course, the government's solution to their own overspending is to just raise taxes. Gee, I wish I could just make myself a raise any time I spent too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles