U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2008, 03:54 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,488 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I was a food manufacturer's rep to the Save Mart location at Butler and Chestnut that became the first Vallarta store in Fresno. I want to commend Vallarta for creating a new vibrancy in what has been a declining neighborhood. The store is spotlessly clean and free from noxious odors that usually occur if a strict sanitation policy is not enforced. The atmosphere is upbeat, the food court is very inviting, the bakery is a delight to the eye and the produce department is always neat and crowded with shoppers. The fresh meat counter is unbelievable in its variety. On the weekend it's not uncommon to have people waiting shoulder to shoulder several deep to be waited on. It's all very orderly and congenial and the background music creates a cultural atmosphere that is as close to being in Mexico as many non-hispanics will ever experience. The in-house tortillaria and the outdoor barbecue on the weekends are additional reasons to visit and take your friends.
I notice more and more people who are not hispanic venturing in to eat at the food court (the prices are very attractive) and wander throughout the store. I think that Fresno was ready for a market of this type and that another store will also attract a large following.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2008, 04:02 PM
 
58 posts, read 143,863 times
Reputation: 54
And what would be wrong with the fact there are more Vallarta supermarkets ?

I find the remark that crime will rise and Latino's will be abundant quite discriminating and uncalled for.

Please don't judge the book by its cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 04:13 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 6,214,082 times
Reputation: 332
This is a refreshing post where the OP was a negative post with a bunch of postive replies.
I'm a Gigante man, myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 05:16 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,085 posts, read 18,047,155 times
Reputation: 10304
Capitalism and free market competition...

Interesting story:

A new store opened in my Mom's neighborhood a few years ago. I can't remember the name but it catered to the Asian 'market'. It was doing fairly well, I suppose, and there were always a lot of Latino customers; they appeared to outnumber the Asian customers. I think that the business owners must have had an epiphany of sorts because the name changed to "La Favorita Ranch Neighborhood Market" (sorry if that's not quite the name). I don't think the Asian market went out of business so much as they just changed the name because I don't recall a lapse in the business' operations. Anyway, it really took off from that point and that place is really busy. Asians, like my Mom, still go there. She says they have good stuff. Good enough to send Albertson's packing...

Next door to that is a Thai food restaurant. It has been there for about 15 years (at least) and is an American success story. It is busy at 2am! Before they moved in, the shopping center was a pathetic place with more than 75% vacancy where businesses never lasted long. The food market and the restaurant revitalized the local community.

Another short story:

There's this Vietnamese restaurant that I always go to for my noodles. Inside, there are people of all ethnic groups eating the finest Vietnamese food in miles. You better get there a little before 12 noon because you'll be waiting for a table...

Bottom line: We all have to eat. YUM...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 05:50 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 6,214,082 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Capitalism and free market competition...

Interesting story:

A new store opened in my Mom's neighborhood a few years ago. I can't remember the name but it catered to the Asian 'market'. It was doing fairly well, I suppose, and there were always a lot of Latino customers; they appeared to outnumber the Asian customers. I think that the business owners must have had an epiphany of sorts because the name changed to "La Favorita Ranch Neighborhood Market" (sorry if that's not quite the name). I don't think the Asian market went out of business so much as they just changed the name because I don't recall a lapse in the business' operations. Anyway, it really took off from that point and that place is really busy. Asians, like my Mom, still go there. She says they have good stuff. Good enough to send Albertson's packing...

Next door to that is a Thai food restaurant. It has been there for about 15 years (at least) and is an American success story. It is busy at 2am! Before they moved in, the shopping center was a pathetic place with more than 75% vacancy where businesses never lasted long. The food market and the restaurant revitalized the local community.

Another short story:

There's this Vietnamese restaurant that I always go to for my noodles. Inside, there are people of all ethnic groups eating the finest Vietnamese food in miles. You better get there a little before 12 noon because you'll be waiting for a table...

Bottom line: We all have to eat. YUM...!

They need to build some 99 Ranch Markets in LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 06:00 PM
 
355 posts, read 1,336,630 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Vallarta also carries cuts of meat and marinated meats that I never see at other stores. In particular, I'm thinking of stir fry pork and beef (It's cut in tiny pieces like you find in fried rice) and fajitas.
Yeah, you HOPE it's pork and beef, and even if it is, these "tiny pieces" are the leftover scraps that are thrown out at the first world grocery stores/supermarkets.

This place sounds like just another Food For Less or ethnic grocery chain. Let me tell you about those places - you think you're getting such a great deal, but you truly are getting what you pay for. There is no quality like at Whole Foods or higher end, organic and ethnic grocery chains.

I've found the produce (and the meats, seafood, cold cuts, etc.) rots and goes bad faster, is usually of FAR worse and suspect quality, and the customers and employees at these places are horribly rude. And this has been at places like Jon's, King Market, and various other places. These are the types of places that not only wouldn't throw out tainted meats and vegetables (think the recent salmonella outbreak on jalapenos and tomatoes), but instead would no doubt buy such tainted cases at steep discounts and pass the "savings" on to their customers.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what this Vallarta chain is all about (probably not very long), but if it's anything like the typical ethnic grocers we have in the southland, ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Southern California
15,085 posts, read 18,047,155 times
Reputation: 10304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delron View Post
Yeah, you HOPE it's pork and beef, and even if it is, these "tiny pieces" are the leftover scraps that are thrown out at the first world grocery stores/supermarkets.

This place sounds like just another Food For Less or ethnic grocery chain. Let me tell you about those places - you think you're getting such a great deal, but you truly are getting what you pay for. There is no quality like at Whole Foods or higher end, organic and ethnic grocery chains.

I've found the produce (and the meats, seafood, cold cuts, etc.) rots and goes bad faster, is usually of FAR worse and suspect quality, and the customers and employees at these places are horribly rude. And this has been at places like Jon's, King Market, and various other places. These are the types of places that not only wouldn't throw out tainted meats and vegetables (think the recent salmonella outbreak on jalapenos and tomatoes), but instead would no doubt buy such tainted cases at steep discounts and pass the "savings" on to their customers.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what this Vallarta chain is all about (probably not very long), but if it's anything like the typical ethnic grocers we have in the southland, ugh.
You are wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 06:58 PM
 
570 posts, read 1,421,586 times
Reputation: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9126ebk View Post
Vallarta Supermarkets are taking over souther california at an alarming rate.... I belive once this supermarket moves into or near your neighborhood, in the long run, the home prices will fall, crime will rise and the Latinos wil be abundant.

whats is your opinion ?
You are 100% right. When Vallarta or a market like it moves into your neighborhood It's the begging of the end for your area. Get your house on the market and sell it wile you can still get a price for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 07:25 PM
 
1,450 posts, read 2,229,051 times
Reputation: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickdow View Post
I notice more and more people who are not hispanic venturing in to eat at the food court (the prices are very attractive) and wander throughout the store.
I agree. At Vallarta the food is always fresh and tasty and the service is prompt. These stores are always crowded with shoppers, many of whom are not Hispanic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2008, 08:19 PM
 
Location: Cypress, TX
396 posts, read 1,599,346 times
Reputation: 106
the one time i went to vallarta it was full of hispanics, that might have been because i was in van nuys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top