U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:27 PM

938 posts, read 3,737,225 times

Advertisements

I doubt they'll be able to crack Miracle Mile, but if they did...I'd welcome the fresh Mexican food!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 08:38 PM

62 posts, read 167,238 times
The horchata and watermelon juice is sooooo yummy at Vallarta!!!The juice bar is the only reason I would go there, though.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:42 AM

6,309 posts, read 15,778,966 times
Vallarta is truly the Latino equivalent of Ralph's or Vons. I used to go to their store a lot, the one that used to be on Fulton and Victory. They moved further east to a bigger store, but it's just enough of a schlep for me that I don't go anymore.

It has been my experience that tomatoes and other produce rot at exactly the same rate whether it's Vallarta or Ralph's. And if it was different, then I'd wonder about Ralph's produce, not Vallarta! Do I really want to buy tomatoes that are probably grown or sprayed with preservatives?!

Old 08-02-2008, 10:52 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,619,830 times
What happend to the OP?

Old 08-02-2008, 11:38 PM

2,573 posts, read 7,875,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delron View Post
Yeah, you HOPE it's pork and beef, and even if it is, these "tiny pieces" are the leftover scraps that are thrown out at the first world grocery stores/supermarkets.

This place sounds like just another Food For Less or ethnic grocery chain. Let me tell you about those places - you think you're getting such a great deal, but you truly are getting what you pay for. There is no quality like at Whole Foods or higher end, organic and ethnic grocery chains.

I've found the produce (and the meats, seafood, cold cuts, etc.) rots and goes bad faster, is usually of FAR worse and suspect quality, and the customers and employees at these places are horribly rude. And this has been at places like Jon's, King Market, and various other places. These are the types of places that not only wouldn't throw out tainted meats and vegetables (think the recent salmonella outbreak on jalapenos and tomatoes), but instead would no doubt buy such tainted cases at steep discounts and pass the "savings" on to their customers.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what this Vallarta chain is all about (probably not very long), but if it's anything like the typical ethnic grocers we have in the southland, ugh.

absolutely accurate. the jon's market in my neighborhood is this weird sort of mish-mash that caters to the hispanic folks living east of la brea, but also seems to want to attract those of us on the west as well (where there are already two ralphs stores, a trader joe's, and a bristol farms to meet our grocery needs). the produce department is heavy on dried chiles in celophane baggies and rotting fruit, the floor is filthy throughout the store, but the fish counter offers "fresh" ahi, which is as pale as the bottom of my foot and shrimp that are going yellow in their shells. i keep waiting for them to change the name to "juan's" and bring the bathtub cheese out of hiding, but that hasn't happened yet.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,787 times
Default vallarta supermarkets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9126ebk View Post
Vallarta Supermarkets are taking over souther california at an alarming rate.... I belive once this supermarket moves into or near your neighborhood, in the long run, the home prices will fall, crime will rise and the Latinos wil be abundant.

whats is your opinion ?
Do you believe that right now, before Vallarta has moved into or near your neighborhood, home prices are high? crime rate is low? and latinos are not abundant?

Vallarta will move into the neighborhood and improve it by offering low prices, giving jobs to the community, thereby improving the economy and lowering crime rate among the youngsters, and not so youngsters who are currently amongst the millions of unemployed in California.

Before anyone of anglo descent moved into California, this state was abundantly 100% latino.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,104 times
Vallarta Supermarkets are replacing Albertsons and other American Supermarkets. We cannot get a job if we do not speak spanish so therefore only the mexican illegals and mexican americans are getting the jobs. If you are white you are now a minority but will not get any of the benefits of being a minority. This country is so screwed up and unfair and crazy. I love mexican people that is not my beef, but the universal language in California is supposed to be english not spanish. So why can I not get a job unless I speak spanish?

Old 11-02-2009, 12:52 PM

498 posts, read 1,231,193 times
I just moved out of Cali. But I loved the hispanic stores. I shopped for fresh fruits & vegetables all the time at King ranch & the Vallarta markets.

What I am really going to miss is being able to pick up a bag of already prepped masa for tamales. I am also missing fresh corn tortillas. The costco here hasn't had any in a month. I went to Walmart 2 days ago and seen a pack but the exp date said November 4th!

Old 11-02-2009, 01:17 PM

16,250 posts, read 27,790,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katelynnav View Post
Vallarta Supermarkets are replacing Albertsons and other American Supermarkets. We cannot get a job if we do not speak spanish so therefore only the mexican illegals and mexican americans are getting the jobs. If you are white you are now a minority but will not get any of the benefits of being a minority. This country is so screwed up and unfair and crazy. I love mexican people that is not my beef, but the universal language in California is supposed to be english not spanish. So why can I not get a job unless I speak spanish?
First off Vallarta is an American company. If you go to the Vallarta Website and look at the locations they are all in California. As far as I can tell they are filling a niche at best. Chances are they will grow though and i see little problem with that. If the larger companies see a problem with Vallarta maybe they need to make changes in their organizations. From my point of view this is cappatalism at its best. Look at the stores, they are clean, the people are friendly, they look nice inside.

2nd issue, How is the country screwed up because a small chain is in business? Is it Vallartas problem that you don't have the entitlements you believe are due you?

3rd issue, We don't have a national language in the United States or a state language.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:40 PM

16,615 posts, read 34,668,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saoarriba View Post
Before anyone of anglo descent moved into California, this state was abundantly 100% latino.
And before anyone of Latino descent moved into California, this state was abundantly 100% Indian.

I believe a "SO?" is in order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles