U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM

16,250 posts, read 27,801,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
And before anyone of Latino descent moved into California, this state was abundantly 100% Indian.

I believe a "SO?" is in order.
Always a pleasure reading your comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 03:13 PM

16,615 posts, read 34,678,234 times
Thank you.

I can only wish Fontana or anywhere here in the West Valley had a Vallarta market. I've been to the one in Victimville a few times and was impressed by the entire package, and that includes the hot food items from the taqueria inside.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:38 AM

898 posts, read 1,355,284 times
Always fun to see people bicker over idiocies. I live in Winnetka and have the convenience of the "American" stores and the Jons, Vallartas, Food 4 Less and Valu+ nearby. Albertson's is overpriced and carries the same items that I would find at Ralphs. Ralphs' produce (especially the fruit) is terrible and overpriced so I only buy certain items there. Yes, my wife and I usually buy the chicken and fish from Ralphs because they usually have more to choose from there but that is just because the meats at the Food 4 Less have been raided by noon and all you have left are the ones that are about to expire or the packages with 40 chicken legs.

Meat, however, is usually reserved for a place like Vallarta because the prices are more reasonable and there is more of a selection of the meats we like to eat. Plain and simple, my wife and I grew up with parents on a budget and are now on a budget ourselves. I don't see why I should have to pay a dollar for a small can of tuna or two dollars for a pack of hot dogs at the Albertsons when I can get them at the Food 4 Less for $.50 and $1.00 respectively. Also, nobody carries the type of sandwich bread that I like but Food 4 Less and nothing beats a freshly baked bagette or some freshly baked french rolls from Jons.

Organic food is overpriced BS so there is no way I'm shopping at Whole Foods or any other store that's taking advantage of your tree hugging nature to overcharge you for bad fruit.

Finally, by the time a Vallarta or a Jons moves into a neighborhood, chances are that your neighborhood is already predominantly hispanic as the previous store will only pack up when they're no longer making a profit.

By the way, I've also noticed that Persian/Jewish people LOVE to shop at the Jons markets as well as white hipsters. Maybe Vallarta should consider changing their name and they won't have such a stigma attached to them.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:41 PM

Hey Fatmancomics, You seem to shop like me and have the a similar attitude to grocery stores. Our high priced place is called Vons though. Don's have a Jons around here. The only time we enter an Albertsons is to purchase a birthday cake from the in store bakery when time is tight. Our main store is Food4Less and I like to shop there at 6am when they open. At that time the meat area is stocked very nicely. With us we have 6 kids so the pack full of chicken legs seems to be a favorite in our home anyway. For quality of meat though we prefer Vallarta. Kind of nice having a butcher that gets the job done and doesn't cut off your arm and legg for payment.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:40 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,620,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delron View Post
Yeah, you HOPE it's pork and beef, and even if it is, these "tiny pieces" are the leftover scraps that are thrown out at the first world grocery stores/supermarkets.

This place sounds like just another Food For Less or ethnic grocery chain. Let me tell you about those places - you think you're getting such a great deal, but you truly are getting what you pay for. There is no quality like at Whole Foods or higher end, organic and ethnic grocery chains.

I've found the produce (and the meats, seafood, cold cuts, etc.) rots and goes bad faster, is usually of FAR worse and suspect quality, and the customers and employees at these places are horribly rude. And this has been at places like Jon's, King Market, and various other places. These are the types of places that not only wouldn't throw out tainted meats and vegetables (think the recent salmonella outbreak on jalapenos and tomatoes), but instead would no doubt buy such tainted cases at steep discounts and pass the "savings" on to their customers.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what this Vallarta chain is all about (probably not very long), but if it's anything like the typical ethnic grocers we have in the southland, ugh.
This is actually funny.

The last time I went into a Vons near me, I found a lot of the produce looking very old. The lettuce was turning brown, etc. They didn't have a very good selection either.

But you are willing to pay a premium for this?

Old 11-03-2009, 03:51 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,620,905 times
My father used to bring home fried chicken from Albertsons. I always wondered where they got such skinny chickens. They have almost no meat on any of the parts, including the breasts. It's like they are selling us "Phyllis Diller" chickens. Do you think their chickens might be smoking to keep the weight off?

Old 11-03-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delron View Post
I guess I'll just have to wait and see what this Vallarta chain is all about (probably not very long), but if it's anything like the typical ethnic grocers we have in the southland, ugh.
One thing is for sure Vallarta is nothing like the typical ethnic store. They are clean, visually stimulating, busy places with very nice people working in them. I can only comment on the Oxnard store, but looking at the website for the company it seems to be the norm. Also the meat in the store that the butcher prepares for you is always fresh.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:24 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,834,316 times
To the OP, I agree with you 100%

Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 PM

898 posts, read 1,355,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
To the OP, I agree with you 100%
God, I can't wait until you change your moniker from CantWait2Leave to SoGladILeft. That goes along with all of you idiots who do nothing but bad mouth CA. Just leave already. We don't want you here anyway. I can't believe how much a little brown skin scares some people.

Old 12-11-2009, 06:34 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,803,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Hey Fatmancomics, You seem to shop like me and have the a similar attitude to grocery stores. Our high priced place is called Vons though. Don's have a Jons around here. The only time we enter an Albertsons is to purchase a birthday cake from the in store bakery when time is tight. Our main store is Food4Less and I like to shop there at 6am when they open. At that time the meat area is stocked very nicely. With us we have 6 kids so the pack full of chicken legs seems to be a favorite in our home anyway. For quality of meat though we prefer Vallarta. Kind of nice having a butcher that gets the job done and doesn't cut off your arm and legg for payment.
My husband shops at that Vallarta religiously.....when we have bbq day at work, we get the side dishes from Vallarta. My husband loves Food 4 Less but I hate going in that store. I shop at Albertsons for a couple of items and Von's when I just need something quick since it's closer to the house.

The OP appears to be a "bot" and trying to circulate trouble...glad he or she has disappeared..poof..be gone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles