Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 5,261 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to find a safe rental 1,000 or under in these areas? We are okay with small studio because it's just the two of us. I have found a few but I can't tell much about the area from google maps. The area was curious about was Burbank and Cahuenga Blvd. My job is transferring me but I know I will need to find a second job so we will feel comfortable and thats why we want to stay under 1,000 for now. We will both being working in Burbank so I will also take suggestions to other places we should look into. Any advice is appreciated!

Also we are moving from out of state is possible to find a rental before we get there or should we wait until we get there? I know apartments go quick out there so I want to make sure we find one in a nice area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
That's a really tight budget. NoHo is a pretty hip area. Burbank would be a better bet but you'll most likely have to go over $1000 unless you get a really tiny place. I would also suggest finding a place before you move. If you see something online that interests you find as many pictures as possible and try to get a video tour.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:36 PM

545 posts, read 513,785 times
Yes you can find a studio for under $1000 in a decent area of noho or burbank. You will not be in "no ho" arts district for that price but in greater north hollywood as it merges east into burbank. My friend just rented a studio for $950. I see studios available all the time for that pricing in burbank. Other areas to check out are along Tujunga south of moorpark where is a little shopping village then a bunch of apartments all the way to Ventura boulevard and along riverside boulevard between laurel canyon and the 170 freeway which is lined with hundreds of apartments. Plus lots of areas in between. You will find something.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:36 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,629,904 times
You should wait until you arrive. In the meantime stay in a motel 6 or one of the extended stay places.

I'd also note that if you can't find a studio, people do tend to rent out guest houses or rooms. Your best bet for this is Valley village or Valley Glen. Those are near Burbank and feature larger homes and properties than most of the rest of SFV...lots of older very large properties with guest homes, or large rooms for rent and more likely to have private entrance/exit and non shared restrooms. Also lots in Chatsworth and Northridge, but that would present a 20-30 minute drive to Burbank.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:45 PM

143 posts, read 395,504 times
NoHo is "pretty hip" now? Wow, how things change. I grew up in Van Nuys, and was in North Hollywood a lot, but that was several years ago. NoHo was comfortable, and clean, but not hip. If you gave details as to where you'd work, etc., it would be helpful. What other areas are you considering?

Old 08-07-2014, 09:10 PM

68 posts, read 168,960 times
Close friends of mine coincidentally live very close to that intersection and love it there in NoHo. They've lived there for probably 5 years now. When I visit, it looks close enough to the action (pubs, cafes, etc), but pulled just far enough away from the subway station so it's not crazy.

Like others mentioned NoHo (because of the "hip" factor) may be hard to find below $1000, but I'm sure something exists. If you like old world charm, then you might find something. That area seems to be chalk full of struggling actors, so if they can afford to live there.....

Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 PM

68 posts, read 168,960 times
Oh BTW, there's a local coffee house near that intersection called Moby's. Very homey, down to earth, but they also make an awesome latte. They have what look like apothecary (sp?) jars with different sweeteners including actual stevia leaves. I always make a point to go there when I'm in NoHo

Old 08-08-2014, 09:51 AM

4 posts, read 5,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
You should wait until you arrive. In the meantime stay in a motel 6 or one of the extended stay places.

I'd also note that if you can't find a studio, people do tend to rent out guest houses or rooms. Your best bet for this is Valley village or Valley Glen. Those are near Burbank and feature larger homes and properties than most of the rest of SFV...lots of older very large properties with guest homes, or large rooms for rent and more likely to have private entrance/exit and non shared restrooms. Also lots in Chatsworth and Northridge, but that would present a 20-30 minute drive to Burbank.
I found some guest houses they are renting them for 500 in van nyus. That seems really cheap to me for the area. I hate the thought of waiting until I get there but I don't want to get scammed or end up somewhere less than ideal.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:39 AM

143 posts, read 395,504 times
Forbes magazine just listed the "coolest" cities in America. L.A. not on the list. But Riverside is. And #1? Houston!

Old 08-08-2014, 10:58 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,185,549 times
So clearly Forbes is a worthless magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles