U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 05:13 PM

61 posts, read 240,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Stupid question...What is the correct pronunciation of Los Feliz?

Is is LOSS FELL-EEZ???

I hear so many people say it different.
Also, what about Sepulveda? What's the correct way on that?

hehe.. my bf has the same problem.

we pronounce los feliz two ways.

there is pretty much the gringo way or the spanish pronounciation.

it's either los feh-leez (the happy ones pretty much in translation. in that pronunciation the "e" in feliz is like the "e" in bet.).. or people pronounce it sometimes: los feeee-liz <-gringo pronounciation. the "e" in that case is like "e" in "feet".

the way you say "loss" is not how most of us say it.. but both are pretty much acceptible. the way you say los is more like lost or loss. it's more like lohs.. the O is a little longer.
sepulveda is seh-pool-veee-dah the "u" sounding like the "oo" in pool.

gringo way but still entirely accepted is "seh-pole-vee-dah. "the "u" in that case is more like the "o" in old.

most people including myself normally say it like seh-pole-vuh-duh. sorta like an odd mix of the two.

also people mispronounce "cahuenga"

it's ka-way-n-ga

the "hue" part is like "way"

hehe hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I like Los Feliz. We are planning to drive through that area tonight to look at the Christmas lights. (Hope they have some nice ones!)

As for safety, I've never felt unsafe in the area. It seems to me, most of the areas around Griffth Park are quite safe -- except maybe a small portion of Hollywood. Burbank, Glendale, Los Feliz -- all are quite safe.
you have to drive through the light show that the DWP puts on in the park.

it's like a half mile from the fountain all the way to the 5. and lights are on both sides of the street. they blast music from speakers or you can listen on some lame channel no one listens to on the radio during most of the year.

http://www.dwplightfestival.com/

Old 12-26-2007, 10:10 AM

17,444 posts, read 24,692,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Are you looking mostly for upscale areas in LA to rent? Why are you interested in Los Feliz? I ask because Los Feliz, although a nice area, is adjacent to shady, unattractive areas. IMO you really need to like or be unphased by gritty, urban ugliness because Loz Feliz is pretty much surrounded by it, unlike West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Century City, Westwood, Brentwood, Santa Monica, etc. where you can drive through one area to the next and remain in a nice, safe, clean, upscale atmosphere.

Also, the commercial strips in Los Feliz (e.g. Vermont Avenue and Hillhurst) have somewhat of an edgy, alternative feel to them in comparison to commercial areas in other upcale neighborhoods. Larchmont Blvd, Robertson Blvd., Melrose in West Hollywood, Sunset Plaza, 3rd Street near The Grove, Westwood Village, Beverly Dr. in BH, Third Street Promenade, etc., cater to a much more substantial upscale clientele.
Los Feliz doesn't have anything close to the homeless problems of SM and Brentwood, nor are Vermont or Hillhurst as sterile as the Promenade.

BTW, if you're an Angeleno (including a Latino Angeleno) you pronounce "Feliz" like "Felix", not the proper Spanish way.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosFeliz_Diva View Post

it's either los feh-leez (the happy ones pretty much in translation. in that pronunciation the "e" in feliz is like the "e" in bet.).. or people pronounce it sometimes: los feeee-liz <-gringo pronounciation. the "e" in that case is like "e" in "feet".
Actually it refers to the Feliz family, one of the old land grant Californio families. "Los felices" would be "the happy ones"

Quote:
the way you say "loss" is not how most of us say it.. but both are pretty much acceptible. the way you say los is more like lost or loss. it's more like lohs.. the O is a little longer.
There certainly are many LA streets in which most of the people living on them know how to use the proper pronunciation rather than the Angeleno pronunciation.

Quote:
gringo way but still entirely accepted is "seh-pole-vee-dah. "the "u" in that case is more like the "o" in old.

most people including myself normally say it like seh-pole-vuh-duh. sorta like an odd mix of the two.

it's ka-way-n-ga

hehe hope this helps.
Cahuenga isn't a Spanish name, it was the name of the tribe of Native Americans whom the Spanish called Gabrielenos. All "-nga" place names in SoCal are from their language (e.g. Topanga, Tujunga)

Old 12-26-2007, 11:13 AM

18 posts, read 88,954 times
The "e" in Spanish is pronounced like the English hard "a" sound or Ayyyy.. A few years ago when I was thinking of moving to LA, I enrolled in Spanish classes for a couple of years. A person would feel quite alienated in LA without some knowledge of the Spanish language, IMO. Majourn: Thanks for clearing up the background for names such as Topanga and Cahuenga ( especially).. I didn't realize it was Native American.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthingsbeautiful View Post
The "e" in Spanish is pronounced like the English hard "a" sound or Ayyyy.. A few years ago when I was thinking of moving to LA, I enrolled in Spanish classes for a couple of years. A person would feel quite alienated in LA without some knowledge of the Spanish language, IMO. Majourn: Thanks for clearing up the background for names such as Topanga and Cahuenga ( especially).. I didn't realize it was Native American.
I agree that some knowledge of Spanish will improve someone's life in L.A. tremendously and to some extent it will be beneficial anywhere else in California, certainly anywhere in SoCal or Central Cal and most of NorCal.

Living right by Sepulveda Blvd. (West Side, not Valley) and having grown up close to it, the "Angeleno" pronunciation of Sepulveda is pronouncing the "ul" like "dull".

Old 12-26-2007, 06:35 PM

1,287 posts, read 4,704,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Los Feliz doesn't have anything close to the homeless problems of SM and Brentwood, nor are Vermont or Hillhurst as sterile as the Promenade.

BTW, if you're an Angeleno (including a Latino Angeleno) you pronounce "Feliz" like "Felix", not the proper Spanish way.
Los Feliz is nice like I said before. However, it's not where the Prada and Dolce and Gabbana crowd hang. That's the main point I was trying to make.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
Los Feliz is nice like I said before. However, it's not where the Prada and Dolce and Gabbana crowd hang. That's the main point I was trying to make.
yeah.. it's totally not a prada sorta place. in fact my sister thinks that most of us look rather bummy.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:02 PM

34 posts, read 165,389 times
Okay, so is it Los FEE-liz or Los Fe-LEEES? (which syllable is accented?)

Old 03-23-2008, 11:02 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosFeliz_Diva View Post

it's ka-way-n-ga

hehe hope this helps.
Reminds me of my days living in Long Beach. I made the 'mistake' of correctly pronouncing XIMENO Street. I figure, Spanish word: X is like an H. So the locals get a big laugh when I say 'hee-MAY-noh."

I ask them how they pronounce "Quixote." Same language, same rules. Got nothing but alot of teed-off locals.

Same goes for San Pedro (pronounced PEED-roh by the locals).

Another good one: a cousin from Vermont asked how far from Los Angeles La Jolla was. Jolla was pronounced well, like jolla (jolly but with an 'a' at the end).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles