Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 02:47 PM

27 posts, read 148,326 times

Advertisements

Is Los Feliz considered an upscale area in Los Angeles? Can anyone tell me if it is considered safe? What is the zip code? Suggestion of upscale apartment complexes in the Los Feliz area? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 02:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,479,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA01 View Post
Is Los Feliz considered an upscale area in Los Angeles? Can anyone tell me if it is considered safe? What is the zip code? Suggestion of upscale apartment complexes in the Los Feliz area? Thanks so much.
Los Feliz is safe and a very nice and pleasant area. It is considered upscale. The MOST upscale apartment complexes are on or near Los Feliz Boulevard if that helps you.

Los Feliz is in 90027, which also includes parts of Silver Lake next door.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,012,005 times
Are you looking mostly for upscale areas in LA to rent? Why are you interested in Los Feliz? I ask because Los Feliz, although a nice area, is adjacent to shady, unattractive areas. IMO you really need to like or be unphased by gritty, urban ugliness because Loz Feliz is pretty much surrounded by it, unlike West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Century City, Westwood, Brentwood, Santa Monica, etc. where you can drive through one area to the next and remain in a nice, safe, clean, upscale atmosphere.

Also, the commercial strips in Los Feliz (e.g. Vermont Avenue and Hillhurst) have somewhat of an edgy, alternative feel to them in comparison to commercial areas in other upcale neighborhoods. Larchmont Blvd, Robertson Blvd., Melrose in West Hollywood, Sunset Plaza, 3rd Street near The Grove, Westwood Village, Beverly Dr. in BH, Third Street Promenade, etc., cater to a much more substantial upscale clientele.

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 12-21-2007 at 07:25 PM..

Old 12-22-2007, 03:38 AM

178 posts, read 583,155 times
In the unlikely event that I should ever move back to Los Angeles, the most likely area that I would move to would be the Los Feliz/Silver Lake neighborhood. Areas like Santa Monica and Beverly Hills are too expensive, many other areas in L.A. proper are just scary or dangerous, Orange County is boring and the definition of suburban sprawl. In Los Feliz/Silver Lake you are near to all the clubs and nightlife in Hollywood and yet you will not have to have bars on all of your windows. There is a huge Gelson's market off Hyperion and that is a market known for only opening stores in neighborhoods with money. The more north you are up the hill (Sunset and Hollywood Blvd.) the more "upscale" things are and the farther south you go (towards Melrose) the "edgier" it gets. Edgier basically means lots of generic strip malls, something that sadly distinguishes large swaths of L.A.. Having spent a fair amount of time in Los Angeles I do feel that there is a difference between an area being edgy and an area being dangerous. I have never, ever felt unsafe in Silver Lake or Los Feliz but I can see how someone from the burbs or a smaller city might find it sketchy in parts. It's traditionally known for having a large hispanic and gay community.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:10 AM

705 posts, read 3,289,777 times
Any area in Los Angeles is safe, if you know your way around.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:48 AM

128 posts, read 779,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
Any area in Los Angeles is safe, if you know your way around.
When you need to a disclaimer like that, then it's already not safe. "Safe" is being able to exist without worrying about it. It's like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:00 AM

705 posts, read 3,289,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertho View Post
When you need to a disclaimer like that, then it's already not safe. "Safe" is being able to exist without worrying about it. It's like being a woman, if you have to tell people you are, you aren't.
Yes I agree, but then what place in this world is really SAFE?
nowhere.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:18 AM

61 posts, read 257,525 times
i would consider most of los feliz to be upscale for the most part. i also wouldn't say it's mostly hispanic, although i haven't seen official stats, it doesn't strike me as largely hispanic from what i experience on a daliy basis.

there aren't really any bad parts of los feliz. right to the east of los feliz is silver lake, we're also adjacent to franklin hills.. a huge municipal park to the north. ourcommercial areas in the village (down on hillhurst and vermont) are more alternative and "edgier" because it's a younger crowd that lives here. you have a lot of musicians, actors, artists, gay couples, pierced people and tattooed people.

our area may be affluent, but it's far from pretentious.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:19 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,115,873 times
I like Los Feliz. We are planning to drive through that area tonight to look at the Christmas lights. (Hope they have some nice ones!)

As for safety, I've never felt unsafe in the area. It seems to me, most of the areas around Griffth Park are quite safe -- except maybe a small portion of Hollywood. Burbank, Glendale, Los Feliz -- all are quite safe.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:46 PM

413 posts, read 1,841,223 times
Stupid question...What is the correct pronunciation of Los Feliz?

Is is LOSS FELL-EEZ???

I hear so many people say it different.
Also, what about Sepulveda? What's the correct way on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles