U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 9,150 times

Advertisements

can a tenant break a rental agreement before the contract commences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 11:30 PM

27,076 posts, read 54,279,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by change of heart View Post
can a tenant break a rental agreement before the contract commences?
A tenant can always break a rental agreement. The questions really is, "What are the consequences of doing so."

Once the agreement has been signed, both parties are bound by the terms of the agreement. The only enforcement exceptions I've encountered is when a term is prohibited by law, either party is not able to contract as would be the case with a minor that is not emancipated, or the unit is destroyed through no fault of the owner.

If I understand your question, I would say no, not without consequences.

Many years ago, I had a tenant get cold feet right after signing and before move-in. She had separated from her husband and now they were getting back together.

I let her cancel for two reasons... the first was I had someone else to take the unit and second, I did not want to have someone move-in that I know didn't want to be there... it just sounded like trouble.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:24 AM

2,072 posts, read 11,243,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
A tenant can always break a rental agreement. The questions really is, "What are the consequences of doing so."

Once the agreement has been signed, both parties are bound by the terms of the agreement. The only enforcement exceptions I've encountered is when a term is prohibited by law, either party is not able to contract as would be the case with a minor that is not emancipated, or the unit is destroyed through no fault of the owner.

If I understand your question, I would say no, not without consequences.

Many years ago, I had a tenant get cold feet right after signing and before move-in. She had separated from her husband and now they were getting back together.

I let her cancel for two reasons... the first was I had someone else to take the unit and second, I did not want to have someone move-in that I know didn't want to be there... it just sounded like trouble.
Ultra,

As always I agree with your excellent advise

Paula

Old 05-14-2009, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 6,544 times
My tenant, after 2 1/2 years, is moving out. She signed the original lease in September 2005. Since that time, she signed and returned an addendum to extend her lease in 2007, but, she did not return the one I sent to her in 2008. She now claims she does not have a lease and therefore can move out prior to the end of the lease period (August 31, 2009) Do I have any recourse?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:22 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,919,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecollins View Post
My tenant, after 2 1/2 years, is moving out. She signed the original lease in September 2005. Since that time, she signed and returned an addendum to extend her lease in 2007, but, she did not return the one I sent to her in 2008. She now claims she does not have a lease and therefore can move out prior to the end of the lease period (August 31, 2009) Do I have any recourse?
If she didn't sign the lease in 2008 it sounds like she's month to month now. If you didn't get it back, why didn't you press the issue?

How do you figure the end of the lease is August 31,2009 if the last lease she signed was in 2007? Was it a 2 year lease?

Edit: and how is she only a tenant of 2.5 years if she moved in September 2005? You realize it's 2009 right?

Old 01-16-2010, 05:12 PM

1 posts, read 5,004 times
I had a couple sign a one year lease agreement, however a few days before they were to move in, they told me that they were not moving in afterall. I had originally given them an opportunity to cancel the lease after signing it because the wife was not entirely happy with the property, but they said that they were happy with it and would move in. I had to immediately advertise to rent it and now she feels that she it was an unbinding agreement because I did not give her a copy of the agreement after she signed it.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:00 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,579,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by letynavarro View Post
I had a couple sign a one year lease agreement, however a few days before they were to move in, they told me that they were not moving in afterall. I had originally given them an opportunity to cancel the lease after signing it because the wife was not entirely happy with the property, but they said that they were happy with it and would move in. I had to immediately advertise to rent it and now she feels that she it was an unbinding agreement because I did not give her a copy of the agreement after she signed it.
I would just let it go. Sounds like a lot of wasted time with this couple. JUst rent it to someone else its a Renters market you will find someone fast and maybe better.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:07 PM

448 posts, read 1,422,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
I would just let it go. Sounds like a lot of wasted time with this couple. JUst rent it to someone else its a Renters market you will find someone fast and maybe better.
If it's a renters market (and it is), then that means there is a lot of supply and little demand. Just like when someone says it's a buyer's market. There are tons and tons of apartments up for rent because many teens and early twenty year olds are moving back in with their parents due to this economy. Main point, the poster is most likely asking because they do not have a lot of other prospective tenants and wants to know if the renter can be held legally.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:19 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,579,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABornandRaised View Post
If it's a renters market (and it is), then that means there is a lot of supply and little demand. Just like when someone says it's a buyer's market. There are tons and tons of apartments up for rent because many teens and early twenty year olds are moving back in with their parents due to this economy. Main point, the poster is most likely asking because they do not have a lot of other prospective tenants and wants to know if the renter can be held legally.

Pardon I am from France, Its a Landlords market. Lets not assume about the Landlord he or she may have many prospective tenants since this is a Landloard market and most Americans are losing their homes or can't afford to by one...

Old 02-19-2011, 04:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,665 times
What if i gave a security deposit to a landlord before the tenant actually moved out. The tenant moved out and i got the keys and the place was not in moving conditions....it was terrible. Now i do not want the place and he says i can't give me back my full deposit due to the fact he could have rented the place out to someone else. Is this true?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or