Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:45 AM

128 posts, read 781,992 times

Advertisements

California is broke. It's been like that for a while, and I blame YOU, the voters. You manage to elect one spendthrift politician after another, AND, vote for more spending come election time. Do you think bonds are free money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 04:32 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurekRZA View Post
If you were in their situation (inmates); you would realize what they are going through.
All of US have done something that is worth taking us to jail.
This is what people with criminal records always say. My response is ... speak for yourself.

As a licensed medical professional who works for CDCR ... and who has consequently have been through numerous background checks, criminal and otherwise both for my license and my job ... I can honestly say I've never done anything that would land me in jail.

As far as what the inmates are "going through" ... if prison was so bad for them and such a horrible experience, they wouldn't be coming back to us over and over again as soon as they are paroled.

The fact is ... many of them LIKE prison because it beats living on the streets. They get free food, free room and board, free healthcare ... all kinds of stuff they would NEVER get if they were on the streets.

If anything ... California coddles their inmates to a fault ... which is why the recidivism rate is so high.

Last edited by sheri257; 12-23-2007 at 04:47 AM..

Old 12-23-2007, 04:46 AM

705 posts, read 3,298,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
This is what people with criminal records always say. My response is ... speak for yourself.

As a licensed medical professional who also works for CDCR ... and who has consequently have been through numerous background checks, criminal and otherwise both for my license and my job ... I can honestly say I've never done anything that would land me in jail.

As far as what the inmates are "going through" ... if prison was so bad for them, they wouldn't be coming back to us over and over again as soon as they are paroled.

The fact is ... many of them LIKE prison because it beats living on the streets. They get free food, free room and board, free healthcare ... all kinds of stuff they would NEVER get if they were on the streets.

If anything ... California coddles their inmates to a fault ... which is why the recidivism rate is so high.
Yes, thats exactly what I USED TO SAY MYSELF.
The truth is that jail isnt what we think it is.
I have never been to jail and Im very grateful for that
but I know others who have and jail isnt "a free meal and a room"
I know a few who have been to jail, and it's a totally different story from what some of us think of it. That is why I stated that.

Old 12-23-2007, 04:51 AM

Quote:
The truth is that jail isnt what we think it is.
I have never been to jail and Im very grateful for that
Well ... if you've never been to jail then, how would you know? I know because I work in a state prison and I work with inmates every single day.

Look at the 70 percent recidivism rate and tell me ... if we were really mistreating these inmates so horribly ... why do they keep coming back over and over again?

Because the fact is: prison beats living on the streets. Where else are they going to get free healthcare (among many other benefits).

Old 12-23-2007, 05:00 AM

705 posts, read 3,298,115 times
Quote:
Well ... if you've never been to jail then, how would you know? I know because I work in a state prison and I work with inmates every single day.

Look at the 70 percent recidivism rate and tell me ... if we were really mistreating these inmates so horribly ... why do they keep coming back over and over again?

Because the fact is: prison beats living on the streets. Where else are they going to get free healthcare (among many other benefits).
Didnt I just say I knew a few who have been to jail?

So you're saying that freedom is better than being locked up?
obviously not.
Working with them is very different than actually being them.
My boss may think that what he pays me is enough, but I think it isnt.
Same difference.
Its not the same until you experice things yourself.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:13 AM

751 posts, read 1,178,536 times
Quote:
If you were in their situation (inmates); you would realize what they are going through.
Its easy for us to say "Keep them in jail" but all of us have wanted a second chance in something...whatever it is...it doesn't make it any better.
Sorry but this was a very ignorant statement. I am 30 years old and have never had any problems with the law except a few speeding tickets. I take pride in being a law abiding citizen and not a lowlife.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Working with them is very different than actually being them.
True but, I see a hellava lot more than you or the average person does first hand and I think I have a lot more insight.

There's no point in arguing about this I guess. People think they know what's going on but they really don't.

And if you believe everything you hear from inmates well then ... you must be really naive.

Afterall ... they got into prison by being incredibly honest in the first place ... right?

Old 12-23-2007, 08:33 AM

139 posts, read 300,604 times
Quote:
Its easy for us to say "Keep them in jail" but all of us have wanted a second chance in something...whatever it is...it doesn't make it any better.
Well I have done something that got me in L.A. County lockup/jail by not paying a speeding ticket and can tell you that the 5 days I spent in I saw more career criminals than anything else. I saw more guys that didn't mind doing a "bid" because they didn't have to worry about payng rent, finding food, they could sleep for the most part, etc. Many can't own up to the responsibility that comes with freedom therefore freedom looks like a burden to them.
Look at the entire picture and not just seeing it from your friends point of view. There are how many inmates versus your couple of friends, so yeah you know the whole perspective:sarcasm:

Old 12-23-2007, 10:29 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAAngel2008 View Post
Arnold is going to open the prison doors.there should be quite a few names added to the LA Times Homicide blog very soon.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-arnold22dec22,1,4350654.story?coll=la-headlines-california&ctrack=1&cset=true (broken link)
The very premise of this thread is materially false. Did you actually read the article you posted? The focus of the article is primarily on cutbacks in education and social services, but education is the key focus of the article.

Reducing the prison population is simply a proposal that has not been approved or adopted. You reference the Homicide Blog, however they are talking about releasing non-violent offenders, not murderers. The bottom line is that Arnold has already voiced his objection to early prison releases, as the article points out, so the likelihood of it happening seems slim.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:39 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,751 times
Quote:
Actually this is one of the great myths about LA. The crime rate is actually very low compared to cities like Las Vegas and Dallas ...

However, obviously that would change if this proposal became reality.
Bingo my friend! My little hick town of 50,000 has higher per capita crime than L.A. and MORE IMIGRANTS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles