Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 10:34 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
In answer to your question about if we have to drive in the snow the answer is no. The streets are cleared immediately and then they sand and salt them to melt the snow and ice so it's safer. The great thing about condo living here is we don't have to shovel anything and our car is garaged. It's really a change to also live where the famous aren't the current rock stars of movie stars but instead the most famous authors of our time and our forefather's that helped create the Bill of Rights and those that fought in the American Revolution. I live down the street from where Louisa May Alcott who wrote Little Women, from Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ralph Waldo Emerson, etc. My son's school is across the street from Walden Pond. It's just such a change to be surrounded by American history with homes dating back to the 1700's! I hope that those of you that have kids can bring them here some day to appreciate the history of how America gained their freedom and the birthplace of some of the great writer's of this nation.
Got nothing but respect for all that. Totally understand your views. Still hate snow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 10:37 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,118,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
That picture reminded me of one of the things I disliked most about Boston during my two years there. And I am sooooo glad I don't live there anymore. I enjoy visiting (when the weatehr is nice), but don't miss living there one bit.
Each to their own; home is where the heart is.

That stated; I am a Wash DC native; born and raised in that area whereupon I left that '4 season' place for California than Arizona. Suffice to say; I have never returned to the DC area even for a visit in almost 30 years.

Needless to say; I detest cold, icy days.........if it is too cold for palm trees; it was too cold for me

Old 12-23-2007, 10:44 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,606,976 times
Yuck!

That snowy picture just reminds me of one of the many reasons why I'm leaving the DC area and the four seasons for Los Angeles. I'm a warm weather person. Never cared for the "variety" that fall or winter provide.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:34 AM

61 posts, read 258,293 times
yeah i'm not feelin' the snow at all. i mean i like to snowboard or whatever, and no one enjoys a good trip down a snowy hill on a boogie board as much as i. however, i'd NEVER, EVER want to live in snow. my nose gets cold, i hate bundling up, the air is too cold to breathe, the salt EFFs up your car, it's not easy walking in snow with heels on (the list goes on and on.)

we have seasons too. fire, flood, summer and spring.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:47 AM

479 posts, read 1,236,384 times
Puffle,

As someone who grew up in PA and lived on the east coast until I was 28, I think that your home looks beautiful. I'll admit, I don't miss all that snow that was shown in your picture. I like the trees, and pond. It's a more natural setting than the concrete jungle that is most of LA. I've lived now in the San Fernando Valley since 1977. I do miss the varied weather and change of seasons on the east coast. Out here, I keep my feelings to myself most of the time because I'm put down by others saying that LA is the greatest and the east is a terrible place. If I could, I'd like to move back, but it's unlikely that I will do to family reasons. If I could choose a place to live in the country, it would never be the San Fernando Valley.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new home and I'm a little jealous. I don't really know much about Boston, though, being from Pittsburgh, and having lived in the VA Beach area for a couple of years before moving to LA.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:07 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosFeliz_Diva View Post
yeah i'm not feelin' the snow at all. i mean i like to snowboard or whatever, and no one enjoys a good trip down a snowy hill on a boogie board as much as i. however, i'd NEVER, EVER want to live in snow. my nose gets cold, i hate bundling up, the air is too cold to breathe, the salt EFFs up your car, it's not easy walking in snow with heels on (the list goes on and on.)

we have seasons too. fire, flood, summer and spring.
Feeling as you do, I'm surprised that you even like to go up to the snow. I know living in it is different though.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:34 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,197,657 times
So sorry to hear about your friends. That's terrible. How did the snow kill them?

Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 PM

goodgirl I feel your pain about living in the SFV! Was raised in Sherman Oaks/Van Nuys till I left in my mid-thirties and moved to Westlake Village. I know what you mean about keeping your mouth shut, but everyone has an opinion and you are allowed yours. Barely anyone is originally from California, so I don't understand the die hard loyalty sometimes. There are some very nice areas of California, mostly Northern California for me. It's funny. Even though snow can be a pain and it is cold, it's something that most people here never complain about but just go about there day business as usual. Not like the whinning I use to hear in L.A. about a couple of drops of water that would be considered rain. Or the weather people on tv calling a "storm watch" when there is some moisture in the air! People are just hardier and made of thicker skins here than in L.A. O.K. Don't want to upset any more Angelinos so I'll go back to making my snowman. Hi Sandyco and Fastfilm and the other regulars!

Old 12-23-2007, 02:04 PM

61 posts, read 258,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl49 View Post
Feeling as you do, I'm surprised that you even like to go up to the snow. I know living in it is different though.
naaah, i like the snow, just in doses. i can appreciate the change of the trees and snow and all that good stuff. but at the end of the day when all of the leaves fall off the trees it's creepy! sorry, even the most beautiful areas look barren and freaky.

the first time i went to upstate new york was during winter (but no snow on the ground.. just REALLY bloody cold) and i was like what the hell is up with the trees? i thought they had endured a wildfire. because everything looked dead and like barren.

that was my first time seeing deciduous trees en masse. i'm sorry, i'd rather have evergreens and snow when i feel like driving up to the snow.

i don't want to have to LIVE in snow. and nor is my area a concrete jungle. i live in griffith park and i back up to over 4,000 acres of wildnerness. i'm in the largest municipal park in the united states.

i love nature and i have no aversion to "experiencing" it... i don't want to LIVE in adverse weather conditions.

snow sucks when you have to shovel that crap day after day. when you have to bundle up like you're in the tundra and sh*t. yes i like wearing high heels and walking in snow isn't conducive to wearing heels. i also like having the option to wear pretty much whatever i want and not having to really take into account "survival."

sorry, i won't get hypothermia in the winter if i wear sandals or heels or go barefoot in so cal.. and that's my choice, that's why i live here.

i wouldn't apply for a job as a rocket scientist nor would i attempt to live in a climate that doesn't suit me. but it doesn't mean i'm close minded or that i don't like other climates.

ever heard of the phrase.. nice place to visit, wouldn't wanna live there?

i can visit back east and appreciate it for what it's worth, or go to the snow or visit the sticks.

wouldn't wanna live there.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:10 PM

There are some other postive things about living here though. The Patriots and the Red Sox. The Bruins aren't too shabby either. An unbelievable sports town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles