Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 11:23 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,862,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I tell people this all the time. I say don't believe the hype or what you see on TV, because it's not true. The majority of LA is poor and LOOKS poor. Almost everyone has several roommates, even rich people living in mansions. Roommating seems to be a way of life in California and when you don't have one, you're seen as "strange" or having "too much space" to yourself.
Rich people who live in mansions need roommates? LOL.

I don't make a huge salary by any means and I don't have roommates. No one has called me strange for not having a roommate either.

You have some strange ideas!

Quote:
Millions of homeless EVERYWHERE. All over the state. Like...just EVERYWHERE.
The homeless population in California is around 136k. It's a lot. But not millions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 AM

6,587 posts, read 17,588,489 times
There is an interactive map on the L.A. Times website; you can plug in your income and how much your down payment would be to buy a home, and the map turns different colors to show what areas you can afford to either buy or rent. However, they're using the median rents, which have nothing to do with affordability, i.e. my area's median rent for a two-bedroom apartment is listed at $2,370. I can find places that are $1,600 to $1,700. According to that map, I can't afford to rent or buy. Strange, because I've been here for seventeen years now!

http://graphics.latimes.com/rent-or-buy-los-angeles/

Old 09-01-2014, 09:14 AM

24 posts, read 32,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
There is an interactive map on the L.A. Times website; you can plug in your income and how much your down payment would be to buy a home, and the map turns different colors to show what areas you can afford to either buy or rent. However, they're using the median rents, which have nothing to do with affordability, i.e. my area's median rent for a two-bedroom apartment is listed at $2,370. I can find places that are $1,600 to $1,700. According to that map, I can't afford to rent or buy. Strange, because I've been here for seventeen years now!

http://graphics.latimes.com/rent-or-buy-los-angeles/
Nice site.. nice idea.. but I found it to be not very useful.

LOL... just like you, the map says I can't afford to rent or buy!

Old 09-01-2014, 10:06 AM

7 posts, read 18,655 times
Me too, the same result.
This may be a device designed to discourage people from moving here. Frankly, we are maxed out with humans.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:24 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,061,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post

The homeless population in California is around 136k. It's a lot. But not millions.
Do you mean SOUTHERN california, because I'm sure the homeless in the entire state approaches the 1 million mark.

Also, I realize that people like to play semantics when it comes to what classifies as 'homeless' in this state, but sleeping in your car, going to the gym for showers and change clothes for work is considered homeless too.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:30 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,500,838 times
I don't claim to be an expert about living in LA but when visited LA locals have told me that renting or buying a house in LA is way cheaper than NYC or SF because I told them I might want to move here someday. You can sometimes find a buy in the Valley or LA proper in Hollywood because its a transient area and they are always looking for renters. The taxes are too high in California and the cost of living is too far for me. If I ever moved out West I would move to Vegas or Phoenix.. still close enough to LA and SD to road trip it but not as high for buying a home. Just my two cents. Have a blessed day.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:52 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,104,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Quote:
Do you mean SOUTHERN california, because I'm sure the homeless in the entire state approaches the 1 million mark.
No, marilyn220, you're way off. Aldous9 is correct, close to 2013 figures in the Federal Report to Congress:

"California accounted for 29 percent of
homeless individuals in the United States
(111,732 people)."

https://www.hudexchange.info/resourc...2013-Part1.pdf

Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,500,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
No, marilyn220, you're way off. Aldous9 is correct, close to 2013 figures in the Federal Report to Congress:

(111,732 people)."

I agree with Nightly Sparrow it has to be higher. California has a lot of homeless for a few reasons. One the weather is near perfect year round to live outside and not as hot and humid as Florida. It is so damn expensive in California to buy a house or rent that you could lose your job and be homeless if you couldn't find another job in a year or two. California is a socially liberal place where anything goes... that favors the homeless population they have more social programs in California than any other state. Its sad that there would so many homeless people in Skid Row and in the Hollywood and East Hollywood sections of LA. Its sad we don't understand mentally illness in America as much as we should. Have a blessed day.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:18 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,104,448 times
To clarify: California has about 136,000 homeless persons. It may seem like more, but it's not.

Skid Row has been estimated at about 4,000 last count.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:59 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,061,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post

(111,732 people)."

There are "reported" homeless that they are aware of.

I remember visiting the beautiful city of Santa Barbara and saw homeless in that city. They didn't look as bad as the homeless in LA, but they were still there.

I'm sorry, but there is no way that there is only 100,000 homeless in the entire state of California. I've read threads on here from so many cities reporting seeing an INCREASE over the years.

NYC and San Franciso knows how to organize and register their homeless properly. They have so many services for them. LA and the other counties in the state do not and don't care to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles