U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,076 times

Advertisements

Hello ii plan to move to LA, what's the everyday weather like? Am from the uk and the weather is so ****. Like iknow about la. I just want to know a few things. What are the people like in la. Are they nice? Stuck up? I hope to become a hollywood make up artist .. What sort of culture people live there? are there any asains? Where's the best place to live in la? Where its nt to exspencive but a standrd place to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 AM

34 posts, read 69,598 times
How is the enviroment? Great! Love the people and different diversity of cultures. Great restaurants too!
Weather? Perfect.
Shopping? The best!
The Hollywood Hills is a nice place to live. It gives you that urban lifestyle and its cool!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:34 PM

16,615 posts, read 34,671,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmina islam View Post
Hello ii plan to move to LA, what's the everyday weather like?
Depends on where you are. There are many microclimates. You can't generalize the weather, other than to say there won't be torrential tropical downpours or cold and snowy Winters unless you're in the mountains.

Quote:
What are the people like in la. Are they nice? Stuck up?
There are 10 million people in L.A. County and 18 million in the GLAMA (Greater L.A. Metro Area). Many of these people are from somewhere else. Once again, impossible to generalize. Don't even try.

Quote:
are there any asains?
Holy ****, you DO have a lot to learn about L.A.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:29 AM

6 posts, read 6,762 times
I'm planning to move in LA too. I'm currently in England, studying and the weather is awful!

What do you guys mean by lots of $$$?? I'm planning to do my masters there. Besides the university costs...mmm...how much would a student spend a month.? Considering clubbing twice a week at least and transport etc etc...?

Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 PM

215 posts, read 434,017 times
Well Julies89c, rent in a decent neighborhood with not a ton of space (studio) will start around 1000 possibly more depending on how nice the neighborhood and complex are. You can save money by living with roommates.

Transportation is expensive unless you live really close to everything you want to do. A car is a must, unless again you live right by everywhere you want/need to go.

Food can vary in price, you can make it cheap if you want. Clubbing is always expensive unless you find people that are willing to buy you drinks.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:01 AM

313 posts, read 676,269 times
One week in Palms. 90% of my stress is parking. Nice place though.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:23 PM

164 posts, read 550,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julies89c View Post
I'm planning to move in LA too. I'm currently in England, studying and the weather is awful!

What do you guys mean by lots of $$$?? I'm planning to do my masters there. Besides the university costs...mmm...how much would a student spend a month.? Considering clubbing twice a week at least and transport etc etc...?
"Expensive" is all relative.

Basically, take the cost of London, convert to US dollars, and take off 20-30%, and that should be how much it'll cost to live in LA.

Yes you need a car in LA, but it's about the same cost (gas, insurance, repairs) as you'd spend on the tube/taxis in London. Only difference is that you'll need to buy a used car (but which you can then sell once you leave - so consider it a "deposit" where you'll lose maybe 20% of it assuming you buy a used car and resell it later).

But everything else: rent, food, clothing, entertainment (bars, clubs, dining, movies, concerts, etc) are all cheaper by around 20-40%. Only thing that is slightly more expensive is internet and cell phone plans (you pay more and get shoddier service in the US than the UK/Europe).

Old 11-19-2011, 05:32 PM

56 posts, read 110,658 times
You won't necessarily need a car. A lot of people do, largely to do with long commutes. But if you can plan around where you're going to school/working, you should be able to do without it. Even if you had to take the bus, that's still going to be cheaper than a commute.

Studios are probably going to be 800-1200, depending where and how large (make sure to check out the square footage!)

I'm a grad student and spend 5-800 a month on expenses, in addition to rent. However, I share some expenses with my boyfriend and I don't go clubbing AND I don't go out to eat much (don't know if you will), so that'll change things for you.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:43 PM

56 posts, read 110,658 times
@sharmina
the weather is mild - around 80-95 in the summer, 60-70 in the winter (depends where you live though), and the coldest it gets at night on a regular basis is around the low 40s. It doesn't rain much (maybe a few times per year), and never rains in the summer. Hail can happen now and then but isn't common... and there will be 0 snow unless you live in the high desert or something.
people - it's a city, but i've found that people here are friendlier than Portland and NYC (my sample size is small, what can I say), but not as friendly as a smaller place. people generally keep to themselves, but will talk to strangers.
culture - the image hollywood makes for itself is not true. it's not a city full of plastic, tanned, glamorous people (though there are some). WE HAVE NORMAL PEOPLE I guess one of the things that stands out to me in L.A. is there is ethnic food absolutely everywhere, a large variety of it, and largely affordable.
asians - uhhh. well, L.A. is very diverse, as you can probably see from the city-data info. Yes there are asians. There are a number of asian neighborhoods/areas, and of course, there are a lot of asian kids who go to the universities. There's a particularly large Korean population here, but there are people of many backgrounds (asian and non-asian).
best place - there's no best place... it all depends what fits your specific needs. it's going to depend on where you'll need to work/go to school, how much you can spend of course, etc.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:05 AM

10 posts, read 13,508 times
Hi,I plan on moving near Woodland Hills,LA this summer.I will start off college with my bestfriend and we have decided on getting into a studio.I have been accepeted to Pierce College in Pre-veterinary medicine,I wanted to know how is the community around there? Is it safe for two girl college students? Also,the public transportation (Buses/trains) is it a good service just like New York? I would really like to know now that I will be taking this big leap this summer.Thanks alot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or