U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 983 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Iam Candaian and ive been planning to move to LA. I read all of your post so i pretty much got an idea of what LA is like. I would like to ask more specificly about the prices (rent and appartement , or rent a house ) . Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 06:58 AM

1,420 posts, read 2,718,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaviie View Post
Hi everyone. Iam Candaian and ive been planning to move to LA. I read all of your post so i pretty much got an idea of what LA is like. I would like to ask more specificly about the prices (rent and appartement , or rent a house ) . Thank you !

Apartments for Rent - PadMapper Apartment Search for Oodle, Apartments.com, Rent.com, Kijiji, and Craigslist Apartments

Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 AM

377 posts, read 446,030 times
how are things in candaia?

Old 11-27-2013, 11:51 AM

252 posts, read 416,321 times
The weather is usually good in Los Angeles , there are some overcast days but it's mostly good , I can't complain its excellent.. The people hmmm it depends where your are at it can shady or sketchy in Los Angeles sometimes especially in bad neighborhoods highland park , east Los Angeles , etc. A lot of Hollywood types tend to live or hangout in wealthy areas. Los Angeles is really overcrowded, i mean really overcrowded, this state roads were built to handle 18 million people and its grown twice as much.. as a result there is traffic everywhere everyday of the week, actually people need to stop moving here and do something about the border pronto or they need to fix the infrastructure problem with roads and housing because it's making the standard of living worse for California residents.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:30 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,661,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaviie View Post
It depends on what part of the city you are. You'll enjoy the mild winters over here as it rarely gets below freezing in the basin.

The trendy areas(Santa Monica, West LA, West Hollywood, Hollywood) tend to be safe and nice. But the housing is usually expensive as most people tend to rent or share rooms with other people. The traffic is usually terrible from 5-8 in the morning, and from 5-7 at night, especially on the freeways when people are getting back from work. Hollywood also has a large homeless population who tend to beg alot.

The South Bay Beach Cities in my opinion is cleaner and nicer than the trendy areas of LA. But it's a bit isolated from the rest of the country. The prices of housing tend to be on the expensive side over there too, and the weather is milder than the inland areas all year. There does tend to be a fog in the mornings.

The areas of LA to avoid is generally East Of La Brea, South of the 10 Freeway, West of the 710, and North of the 105. As these are the lower income neighborhoods which tend to have a large gang problem. Most people in those areas are getting by, and the weather tends to be a bit hotter than on the coastal cities.

I don't know much about the SFV, so I'll leave that to other poster. But yes, the LA area is a bit overcrowded.

Old 11-27-2013, 12:42 PM

25,306 posts, read 16,477,571 times
I definitely agree that it depends on where you live and commute times too.

Regarding lower income areas , I think gangs are less a concern compared to just living in run down areas that the city doesn't care much about. Also the lack of quality places to go also sucks.

Gentrification definitely hasn't reached enough neighborhoods in my opinion for the value of properties.

You have homes selling for $300k or more in areas that many consider Ghetto...it's nuts!

In other cities across the country the ghetto places are under $50k sometimes. aka 800% cheaper .

Renting is a different story though and you can get more for your money (cheaper to rent) , this is why people are able to rent in neighborhoods that they would never be able to buy in.

If you look back some years properties were 1/3 the price about 15 years ago.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 PM

889 posts, read 562,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevopolis View Post
"Charles
Not disagreeing but....
I wonder how high a $60/month gardening service would go to if Americans (who demand $50/hour just to show up to your front door) were performing the work?
How much would a head of lettuce cost?
How much for a car wash?
How much for a restaurant meal?"

Answer: Nothing; get off you lazy butt and do it yourself. This is why we have an illegal problem in the U.S.. Mow your own lawn, clean your own car; that's the difference between L.A. and most of the country. I was 13 years old, and I mowed lawns for a living when I was younger. We don't need illegals here in the U.S. to keep this country great. Look around, the illegal problem is only making Los Angeles and the U.S. worse.
Nail hit right on head.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 662 times
but isn't it great that foriegners bring diversity in our surroundings which in turn make our life a bit more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or