Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:53 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_-qEzu1FW4
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
WHAT WOULD THE FOUNDING FATHERS DO? ...
That was a crack up, especially with the "I Love LA" music. You Tube has so much hilarious stuff on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 12:35 PM

50 posts, read 63,860 times
Los Angeles is a cesspool.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:40 PM

I'm here in Calabasas today enjoying the warm weather and sunshine. No graffiti, no gang members. Same as in Thousand Oaks. Not all of SoCal is bad.

One thing about Calabasas, no matter what public place you go to (today at de Anza Park), Calabasas Tennis and Swim Center, etc you are surrounded by foreigners: Russian, French, Middle Eastern, you name it. Something about Calabasas attracts lots of wealthy foreigners. Not only am I the only native Californian, I'm the only born American.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:26 PM

142 posts, read 754,756 times
That video does show the ghetto parts of L.A. I think I'm sticking to the West side :-)

Old 12-26-2007, 02:37 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm here in Calabasas today enjoying the warm weather and sunshine. No graffiti, no gang members. Same as in Thousand Oaks. Not all of SoCal is bad.

One thing about Calabasas, no matter what public place you go to (today at de Anza Park), Calabasas Tennis and Swim Center, etc you are surrounded by foreigners: Russian, French, Middle Eastern, you name it. Something about Calabasas attracts lots of wealthy foreigners. Not only am I the only native Californian, I'm the only born American.
Charles, you are absolutely correct but Im another local native. I love Calabasas. Having macadamia nut crusted halibut for dinner at Kings tonight with the (Russian) wife and some friends (Persian/Jewish and Jordanian). See you there?

Old 12-26-2007, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Their needs to be a BIG crack down of
people giving them jobs.
Not disagreeing but....

I wonder how high a $60/month gardening service would go to if Americans (who demand $50/hour just to show up to your front door) were performing the work?

How much would a head of lettuce cost?

How much for a car wash?

How much for a restaurant meal?

Old 12-26-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Not disagreeing but....

I wonder how high a $60/month gardening service would go to if Americans (who demand $50/hour just to show up to your front door) were performing the work?
Man, I pay $80.00 per month and I had to bargin for that. Next summer, the stepson will be 13 and will be taking on the jobs of Gardner and Pool Boy thus saving me $160.00 per month.

You know, one of the things I am beginning to hate about life in LA is that our kids nowadays have sense of entitlement (i.e., that they are owed something) and they lack a strong work ethic. When we were kids/teens we learned a lot by working what used to be transitional jobs (mowing lawns on our street, cleaning neighborhood pools, working fast food, having a paper route, etc.) and learning what it was like to be "hard working Americans" and developing the work ethic that Americans used to be known for. Nowadays, those "transitional" jobs have been taken over by immigrants and thier families as "career" jobs. The only place American kids (in LA) work in fast food is In-And-Out Burger. All other places have overwhelmingly minority (immigrant) workforce.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:49 PM

132 posts, read 596,602 times
To me (and I've been in every Major city in the U.S.) it is simply the greatest.

But what you are asking cannot be answered in a few posts. It is deeply detailed, complex, varied, culturally mixed, HUGE. It has a metro area of 15 million people. You cannot go out and seek the essence of Los Angeles. It slowly reveals itself to you. You can look it up in Wikipedia and many other sources but it will take a couple of years of being here before it all starts to fall into place and make sense.
Your patience will be greatly rewarded.

It is a wonder beyond description.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Charles, you are absolutely correct but Im another local native. I love Calabasas. Having macadamia nut crusted halibut for dinner at Kings tonight with the (Russian) wife and some friends (Persian/Jewish and Jordanian). See you there?
Sure, if you're paying.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Sure, if you're paying.
Uh........well.........enjoy your holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles