U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:09 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,156,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Well, it's about time more started leaving than coming in!
How many years was the incoming ratio way higher than the outgoing... 20 years, 30, 40?

With over 30 million people in California, we can well afford to lose about 10 or 15 million!
( California's population did grow in fiscal 2007 -- but
> the growth rested on births and the arrival of more than 200,000
> immigrants from other countries. )

It looks like all these people moved out of California ( Working Class ) But the Cal. Population is about the same. What does this tell us?? California is growing from within. Illegals and their anchors are reproducing faster than they can be counted. It wouldn't be so bad if they stayed in Cal. but they are not. Every where they go begins to look like the you tube video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,684,817 times
Junkman--take the typical LA person and drop them off deep into the Ozarks/Ouachitas with only themselves to rely on and see how long they last without thier supermarket and Starbucks. Take the typical Razorback and drop him off in downtown LA and tell him to get his butt back to Arkansas anyway he can and I gaurantee he will not only make it back, but he will gain 10 pounds on the trip!!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:52 AM

5,835 posts, read 4,227,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
To me (and I've been in every Major city in the U.S.) it is simply the greatest.

But what you are asking cannot be answered in a few posts. It is deeply detailed, complex, varied, culturally mixed, HUGE. It has a metro area of 15 million people. You cannot go out and seek the essence of Los Angeles. It slowly reveals itself to you. You can look it up in Wikipedia and many other sources but it will take a couple of years of being here before it all starts to fall into place and make sense.
Your patience will be greatly rewarded.

It is a wonder beyond description.
Please make note that this picture is a rare day in L.A. Usually the air is brown colored and you cannot make out the mountains. Perhaps Charles has a more realistic picture of downtown L.A. to share?

Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 AM

1,287 posts, read 4,704,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Please make note that this picture is a rare day in L.A. Usually the air is brown colored and you cannot make out the mountains. Perhaps Charles has a more realistic picture of downtown L.A. to share?
During the winter months, the sight of the San Gabriel Mountains is not rare. You can see them nearly everyday. They are less visible usually in the spring, summer and fall depending on the air quality on any given day and the presence of coastal haze from the Marine layer.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:47 AM

26,345 posts, read 84,716,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Perhaps Charles has a more realistic picture of downtown L.A. to share?
If I did that then I would probably be accused of bashing. I'm trying to cut down on bashing by 3dB.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:15 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,156,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Dan View Post
Junkman--take the typical LA person and drop them off deep into the Ozarks/Ouachitas with only themselves to rely on and see how long they last without thier supermarket and Starbucks. Take the typical Razorback and drop him off in downtown LA and tell him to get his butt back to Arkansas anyway he can and I gaurantee he will not only make it back, but he will gain 10 pounds on the trip!!
That's the truth.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:17 AM

1,287 posts, read 4,704,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Ok you did a good job. Now do some more research and look into the California KKK head office and other Klan type groups. Maybe more than we think.
Thank for all your hard work.
How do you know so much about there being a California KKK head office?

You see, you don't have me fooled, junkman. I know you are more knowledgeable about this subject than you let on. You tried to play dumb as if you didn't think anyone could easily find info on the KKK in Arkansas, but I called your bluff.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:21 AM

132 posts, read 563,891 times
L.As smog has been reduced by over 50% in the last 25 years. I don't know who you have been talking to, but we now have 0-1 1st stage smog alerts a year. in the 50's-70's there were MANY stage 1 episodes. See Wikipedia (Los Angeles). Los Angeles and California lead the nation and the world in general in anti-pollution technology. Granted it is not perfect, and not always this clear, for sure. But JES guys, c'mon, give us a break. This is a natural condition that was here when only Indians lived here as the mountains captured the ocean air and was the "valley of the smokes". Now we have 10 million people and the cars trucks, factories etc. that go with it and are still able to accomplish this ongoing "clearing up" of the air. Yes, we still have a long way to go.
I am a native ANGELINO (that's an L.A. native), and when I was a kid in the 70's it was a rare day to see the San gabriel Mountains from the coast. Now it is very rare NOT to see them. People that have visited me from out-of-state for extended periods have often commented "what's the big deal about the smog? I don't see it?"
May you all be blessed and prosper in the new year and may we find peace! -Don

Old 12-27-2007, 10:39 AM

5,835 posts, read 4,227,368 times
Smoggiest cities for 2007

May 1, 2007 | Uncategorized (broken link) | No comments
Not surprisingly, Los Angeles is listed as the smoggiest major city in the United States. This is based on a report released today by the American Lung Association. Yet LA is much better than it was 20 years ago before the strict smog laws (if you can imagine that). I remember feeling a burning in the throat on hot summer days if you spent any time outside anywhere near the inland empire. It is surrounded by mountains and the onshore air currents would pin the smog in the valley.
Miami shows up as the city with the cleanest air. Of course, this is largely because it is flat area with no mountains to hold these pollutants in. Combined with the vast presence of water gives Miami a certain advantage over other US cities.
The 10 most polluted are (population 1mil+):
  1. Los Angeles, CA
  2. Pittsburgh, PA
  3. Fresno, CA
  4. Birmingham, AL
  5. Salt Lake City, UT
  6. Detroit, MI
  7. Cleveland, OH
  8. Washington, DC
  9. Sacramento, CA
  10. Chicago, IL

Old 12-27-2007, 12:29 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,615,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
During the winter months, the sight of the San Gabriel Mountains is not rare. You can see them nearly everyday. They are less visible usually in the spring, summer and fall depending on the air quality on any given day and the presence of coastal haze from the Marine layer.
There is also lots of wind now, pushing out the smog.

I love that photo. I like LA's downtown. It's compact compared to NYC but it's a nice downtown. It's fascinating to explore but you need a lot of time to do it because there are things to discover on almost every block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or