Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:36 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,118,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
L.As smog has been reduced by over 50% in the last 25 years. I don't know who you have been talking to, but we now have 0-1 1st stage smog alerts a year. in the 50's-70's there were MANY stage 1 episodes. See Wikipedia (Los Angeles). Los Angeles and California lead the nation and the world in general in anti-pollution technology. Granted it is not perfect, and not always this clear, for sure. But JES guys, c'mon, give us a break. This is a natural condition that was here when only Indians lived here as the mountains captured the ocean air and was the "valley of the smokes". Now we have 10 million people and the cars trucks, factories etc. that go with it and are still able to accomplish this ongoing "clearing up" of the air. Yes, we still have a long way to go.
I am a native ANGELINO (that's an L.A. native), and when I was a kid in the 70's it was a rare day to see the San gabriel Mountains from the coast. Now it is very rare NOT to see them. People that have visited me from out-of-state for extended periods have often commented "what's the big deal about the smog? I don't see it?"
May you all be blessed and prosper in the new year and may we find peace! -Don
I find the smog is the worst when you go inland -- around San Bernardino and those areas. If you take Main Street from downtown LA and drive to Alhambra (via surface streets) you can actually see where the smog is on the far side of the San Gabriel Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 03:42 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,870,623 times
What gets me about LA, besides traffic and cost of living, is how fast paced it is.

If you've lived here for a while, people just sort of scurry away and go into their own little hole, world, and you may not see them again for a few years. I know people that live a few miles from me, or 15 minutes, and I havent seen them in 3 or 4 years, and thats normal.

The pace of life makes your head spin. It makes me wonder what's "normal" in a slower paced city like Santa Barbara, SLO, or a place up north.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:33 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,484,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
What gets me about LA, besides traffic and cost of living, is how fast paced it is.

If you've lived here for a while, people just sort of scurry away and go into their own little hole, world, and you may not see them again for a few years. I know people that live a few miles from me, or 15 minutes, and I havent seen them in 3 or 4 years, and thats normal.

The pace of life makes your head spin. It makes me wonder what's "normal" in a slower paced city like Santa Barbara, SLO, or a place up north.
I think you Will need to go allot further north than Santa Barbara to fined that slower pace. Santa Barbara is for the rich and SOL is by far better than the pits of Los Angeles But It has it's illegal mexican problems.
Maybe the biggest problem no matter how far north you go its still California, And you pay BIG tax $$$$ that go to south California to pick up the welfare tab.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:49 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,592,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Please make note that this picture is a rare day in L.A. Usually the air is brown colored and you cannot make out the mountains. Perhaps Charles has a more realistic picture of downtown L.A. to share?
It's true. The skies only clear sufficiently from the smog to see the mountains on the windy days immediately after a rainstorm due to the entire L.A. basin being a smog-trap, and we have very little rain as is, less than two weeks worth per annum in a non-drought year. The snowy San Gabriels are also a rarity, dependant upon aforementioned two weeks of rainy weather to deposit snow up there. This photo is the equivalent of showing a rainbow, an inordinately rare occurence outside of Hawaii, to promote a city. Only the beaches and their immediate environs have consistently smog-free skies here in L.A. Every newsmedium will verify that on cooler "winter" days, most areas outside the beaches have "only" moderately bad air quality.

I'm presuming the posters slagging Arkansas never have been there. Once while driving cross country, we stopped in a motel in AR at night, figuring it to be the interchangeable cheapie we usually stayed at. Imagine our surprise the next morning to look out onto a misty lake with Canada geese rising, against a serene, forested foothill. That's Arkansas too.

My family is from the deep South, and in the five decades of visiting that part of the country, I've found the segregationist/xenophobia of present-day foreign nationals in Los Angeles to be very close in mindset to the bad ol' days in the South. These people really, really despise American citizens, whether born or naturalized, and don't hesitate to make it known. Many, many posters on this forum verify that this is a pecularly Los Angeles' characteristic, so relocators be warned. If you live in a non-rich area here, you are more likely to be amongst them as a majority.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:59 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,165,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
It's true. The skies only clear sufficiently from the smog to see the mountains on the windy days immediately after a rainstorm due to the entire L.A. basin being a smog-trap, and we have very little rain as is, less than two weeks worth per annum in a non-drought year. The snowy San Gabriels are also a rarity, dependant upon aforementioned two weeks of rainy weather to deposit snow up there. This photo is the equivalent of showing a rainbow, an inordinately rare occurence outside of Hawaii, to promote a city. Only the beaches and their immediate environs have consistently smog-free skies here in L.A. Every newsmedium will verify that on cooler "winter" days, most areas outside the beaches have "only" moderately bad air quality.

I'm presuming the posters slagging Arkansas never have been there. Once while driving cross country, we stopped in a motel in AR at night, figuring it to be the interchangeable cheapie we usually stayed at. Imagine our surprise the next morning to look out onto a misty lake with Canada geese rising, against a serene, forested foothill. That's Arkansas too.

My family is from the deep South, and in the five decades of visiting that part of the country, I've found the segregationist/xenophobia of present-day foreign nationals in Los Angeles to be very close in mindset to the bad ol' days in the South. These people really, really despise American citizens, whether born or naturalized, and don't hesitate to make it known. Many, many posters on this forum verify that this is a pecularly Los Angeles' characteristic, so relocators be warned. If you live in a non-rich area here, you are more likely to be amongst them as a majority.
Sorry to get off topic for a moment..just wanted to say hi to my old friend Fastfilm. Hope all is well at your house and that your endeavours are going well.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:11 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,592,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Sorry to get off topic for a moment..just wanted to say hi to my old friend Fastfilm. Hope all is well at your house and that your endeavours are going well.
Puffle, to quote Chief Dan George in "The Outlaw Josey Wales," I must continue to endeavor to persevere...

Old 12-27-2007, 07:17 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,012,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPalms View Post
L.As smog has been reduced by over 50% in the last 25 years. I don't know who you have been talking to, but we now have 0-1 1st stage smog alerts a year. in the 50's-70's there were MANY stage 1 episodes. See Wikipedia (Los Angeles). Los Angeles and California lead the nation and the world in general in anti-pollution technology. Granted it is not perfect, and not always this clear, for sure. But JES guys, c'mon, give us a break. This is a natural condition that was here when only Indians lived here as the mountains captured the ocean air and was the "valley of the smokes". Now we have 10 million people and the cars trucks, factories etc. that go with it and are still able to accomplish this ongoing "clearing up" of the air. Yes, we still have a long way to go.
I am a native ANGELINO (that's an L.A. native), and when I was a kid in the 70's it was a rare day to see the San gabriel Mountains from the coast. Now it is very rare NOT to see them. People that have visited me from out-of-state for extended periods have often commented "what's the big deal about the smog? I don't see it?"
May you all be blessed and prosper in the new year and may we find peace! -Don
Yes, I would agree. Before relocating back to LA this month, I could see the San Gabriels nearly every time I visited, even on days when it was hazy or smoggy. However, there are many days, particularly in the summer, when they are not visible.

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 12-27-2007 at 07:29 PM..

Old 12-27-2007, 08:03 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,500,487 times
I have had to delete a number of off topic posts from this thread. Please keep this discussion on topic, which is namely, "life in Los Angeles". If this thread continues to veer off course, it will be closed.

Thank you,

Your friendly neighborhood moderator!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:58 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,012,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I think you Will need to go allot further north than Santa Barbara to fined that slower pace. Santa Barbara is for the rich and SOL is by far better than the pits of Los Angeles But It has it's illegal mexican problems.
Maybe the biggest problem no matter how far north you go its still California, And you pay BIG tax $$$$ that go to south California to pick up the welfare tab.
What welfare tab are you referring to junkman? What evidence do you have that N. California is paying for S. California?

Old 12-28-2007, 01:13 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,870,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I haven't been up there in awhile, but solvang, ojai, those places are so much slower paced, santa barbara isnt nearly as crazy as it is here. Or Redding, or almost anything north of san francisco. It cant be this crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles