U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:36 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,159,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I haven't been up there in a while, but solvang, ojai, those places are so much slower paced, santa barbara isnt nearly as crazy as it is here. Or Redding, or almost anything north of san francisco. It cant be this crazy.
These towns are nice, So much better than the pits of LA. But they are very high rent much more than I could ever afford. Even if I could afford to live there I don't think I would have stayed in California unless I went way up north.
Here in Arkansas their is some freedom you just don't fined anywhere in cal.
Their are people on this thread that like to try to trash Arkansas, And probably have never been in the state and know nothing about it. I was born and raised and work in cal. in the Los Angeles county and city area. so I an not talking out my backside like someone else is about Arkansas. Their many people that have never been out of cal or out the ghetto, And have no idea what are country really is.

Happy new year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 03:27 PM

22,719 posts, read 28,394,159 times
I'm wondering what kind of "freedom" is found in Arkansas that is not found in California? Arkansas has laws, too.

And there are some very nice "pits" of L.A... Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Woodland Hills, Thousand Oaks, Sherman Oaks, Porter Ranch, the northern portion of Granada Hills, La Crescenta, etc.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:36 PM

312 posts, read 1,408,949 times
I'think is life in L.A. MARVELLOUS !
How is beaches ?
Are you can swim ?
Is sharks there ?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I'm wondering what kind of "freedom" is found in Arkansas that is not found in California? Arkansas has laws, too.

And there are some very nice "pits" of L.A... Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Brentwood, Pacific Palisades, Woodland Hills, Thousand Oaks, Sherman Oaks, Porter Ranch, the northern portion of Granada Hills, La Crescenta, etc.
I sure Arkansas has laws, Just not a many as cal.
I know about the nice pits but most people could never afford to live their. all my growing up was in La Crescenta and Glendale. La Crescenta is still nice but not to sure about Glendale. But retirement money goes allot further out of California. Housing and taxes are allot lower hear and so are many other things.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:53 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,819,918 times
It really isn't a contest between L.A. and Arkansas. Both can be nice places to live, given the right set of circumstances. L.A. offers a wonderful lifestyle, with much to offer and much fun to be had... but it takes bucks. Less bucks, less fun.

With beach shacks in Venice, MDR, PDR and SM going for $900K and up, then being torn down to build McShrines, it's becoming increasingly obvious that the coveted lifestyle that most associate with SoCal is becoming attainable only to an elite few. Living here without money is becoming harder, unless your needs are minimal or you're already in the housing game (with rent control, Prop 13 or roommates out the wazoo). It's far from a level playing field and that's what causes many who would love to stay to choose to leave. Sometimes, the choice is made for them, because when costs have tripled or quadrupled and incomes haven't even doubled-- over the past five years alone-- many just can't make it work.

Reality does indeed bite... which is why they come, they struggle, they leave. For better or worse.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,633,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
I sure Arkansas has laws, Just not a many as cal.
I know about the nice pits but most people could never afford to live their. all my growing up was in La Crescenta and Glendale. La Crescenta is still nice but not to sure about Glendale. But retirement money goes allot further out of California. Housing and taxes are allot lower hear and so are many other things.
La Crescenta is nice. I don't know when you left Glendale, but Glendale is nice too (most of it anyway). There is a new shopping/apartment/condo area going up that's being developed by the same person who did The Grove in LA. It's called Americana on Brand.

When did you leave Glendale? It might be a lot different now.

I've been to Arkansas. More than once. I don't think there is a state in the union that doesn't have some pretty areas -- but that isn't the real point of this thread.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:36 AM

15 posts, read 40,897 times
Honey, people out here are not that friendly. I have been in the same apartment complex for 4 years and I just learned my neighbors' names last year. Although I knew their dogs' names the first week I moved here. It costs big bucks to live here, so bring cash and savings. The weather is great, but it is the same everyday- nothing changes. There is soooooo much to do here, but yet I work so much that I don't have time to do anything.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemark View Post
Honey, people out here are not that friendly. I have been in the same apartment complex for 4 years and I just learned my neighbors' names last year. Although I knew their dogs' names the first week I moved here. It costs big bucks to live here, so bring cash and savings. The weather is great, but it is the same everyday- nothing changes. There is soooooo much to do here, but yet I work so much that I don't have time to do anything.
When you work you don't have the time to do anything, And when you retire you have the time but don't have the money to do anything..

Old 12-31-2007, 10:52 PM

8 posts, read 40,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I was fortunate to be born and raised in a good part of L.A. There are many good parts of Los Angeles...
That looks like Wilbur.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:34 PM
trm

41 posts, read 85,185 times
i am native and i hate LA. i would consider myself middle class...live in silver lake (not a cheap place to live)... the people here are fake and value all the things that shouldn't be valued. unless you are trying to get into a specific industry, i would not suggest moving here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or