U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 02:13 AM

22,693 posts, read 28,338,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadoavo View Post
That looks like Wilbur.
You are very close; it was taken from near the top of Reseda Blvd., looking south-southwest.
Incidentally, in the distance, past the mountain range and just right of center, you can see the buildings of downtown L.A., about 30 or so miles from the location of this pic.

(Welcome to the boards!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trm View Post
i am native and i hate LA. i would consider myself middle class...live in silver lake (not a cheap place to live)... the people here are fake and value all the things that shouldn't be valued. unless you are trying to get into a specific industry, i would not suggest moving here...
There are many helpful people out here. Below is a letter printed in the Daily News in 1998:

"On May 9, my roomate and I were traveling west on the Ventura Freeway around 8:30 p.m. when the car we had just purchased broke down at the Haskell Avenue turnoff.

Unable to start the car, we found ourselves in a very frightening and dangerous position. Fortunately, an extremely kind family pulled over and helped us push the car to the side of the freeway. They then waited until I had called the California Highway Patrol for assistance.

The CHP was extremely prompt in answering, as was the tow truck.

For two Englishwomen visiting your country, this was wonderful. To receive such kindness and courtesy from people we don't know was very uplifting.

We don't know the name of the family, CHP officer or tow-truck driver, but would like to thank them for their help and consideration. It turned a nightmare into something positive."

- Jane Vaughn
Sharon Lloyd
Tarzana

Old 01-01-2008, 11:07 AM

132 posts, read 563,891 times
LA as any other place is just as friendly as any other place. It is up to you. Do YOU ever say Hi to any one? Smile? The people with the "unfriendly" bull are the ones who never say hello, good morning or anything but just wait around for the other to initiate and exchange. This I have found is a universal truth anywhere. People here are very friendly to me, and I to them, sorry about your situation.

I'd rather have a little less money for the Dairy Queen in Little Rock and live here.
Happy New Year

Old 01-03-2008, 02:54 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,812,671 times
"Here" is relative. Alas, that pretty picture posted above is far beyond the reach of most residents of L.A., who don't live anywhere near the water... or the hills... or anything remotely postcardworthy. A "pretty" picture of Inglewood or the Inland Empire is what most people of average income can relate to. And by the time you pay the rent in those lovely areas, dinner at the Dairy Queen is a slim possibility.

Right on point with the comments about people being friendly, though. You generally do reap what you sow.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:42 PM

11 posts, read 29,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
Please make note that this picture is a rare day in L.A. Usually the air is brown colored and you cannot make out the mountains. Perhaps Charles has a more realistic picture of downtown L.A. to share?
I though that was photoshopped, and I've lived here all my life. hee hee.

Anyhoo, to the O.P.:

L.A. is expensive if you want to live with minimal necessities. If you want a decent house, you'd better be making a very decent living (at least over 100k in today's market), or have a dual income with a spouse, or partner. Having a vehicle is a must, because our public transportation system is pitiful when you compare it to some of the internationally recognized major cities of the world. I graduated from an L.A. area university, and noticed many of my fellow graduates moved to the Valley area after graduation because rents, and prices of homes at that time were still decent (i.e., Encino, Sherman Oaks, Tarzana, Northridge - although that area is becoming a little sketchy in some parts, etc.). There is an area that is becoming more developed, and looks promising in the way of arts, culture, and general progress, called NoHo (North Hollywood) that you may want to check out. Like someone said earlier, if you have money, L.A. can be quite fun, but there are some pockets on the outskirts that are decent, accessible and somewhat affordable. There is a lot to do here, and I have to say growing up in L.A. has made me who I am, and now I know it's time to leave.

Old 01-03-2008, 05:16 PM

422 posts, read 1,651,707 times
I am originally from Arkansas and grew up there. Have since lived in Tulsa, Houston, Miami, Phoenix, Atlanta and Los Angeles. I had to leave LA twice for family reasons and have come back twice. I love it here and would not move back to Arkansas. Life is what you make it, no matter where you live.

Old 01-05-2008, 07:54 PM

31,401 posts, read 17,551,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubancoffee View Post
I am originally from Arkansas and grew up there. Have since lived in Tulsa, Houston, Miami, Phoenix, Atlanta and Los Angeles. I had to leave LA twice for family reasons and have come back twice. I love it here and would not move back to Arkansas. Life is what you make it, no matter where you live.
I wholeheartedly agree with this statement 100%.

Old 01-06-2008, 05:35 AM
trm

41 posts, read 85,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
There are many helpful people out here. Below is a letter printed in the Daily News in 1998:

"On May 9, my roomate and I were traveling west on the Ventura Freeway around 8:30 p.m. when the car we had just purchased broke down at the Haskell Avenue turnoff.

Unable to start the car, we found ourselves in a very frightening and dangerous position. Fortunately, an extremely kind family pulled over and helped us push the car to the side of the freeway. They then waited until I had called the California Highway Patrol for assistance.

The CHP was extremely prompt in answering, as was the tow truck.

For two Englishwomen visiting your country, this was wonderful. To receive such kindness and courtesy from people we don't know was very uplifting.

We don't know the name of the family, CHP officer or tow-truck driver, but would like to thank them for their help and consideration. It turned a nightmare into something positive."

- Jane Vaughn
Sharon Lloyd
Tarzana
hhhmmm 1998, its 2008. This is an exception! It's a wonderful story but I am being realistic in my posting. Nice story though!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trm View Post
hhhmmm 1998, its 2008. This is an exception! It's a wonderful story but I am being realistic in my posting. Nice story though!
Good Samaritans did not become extinct after 1998.
I'm out biking quite a bit and when I see a car on the side of the road with the hood open, many times I see other drivers pull over and offer to help.

It is not an exception.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:15 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,716,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Good Samaritans did not become extinct after 1998.
I'm out biking quite a bit and when I see a car on the side of the road with the hood open, many times I see other drivers pull over and offer to help.

It is not an exception.
Here's a good example:

About 15 years ago my girlfriend and I were on my Harley on Soledad Canyon Road out past Canyon Country. I lived in Moorpark at the time. Beautiful day.

All of a sudden..vooommmmmmaaaaah... the engine dies.

Moorpark is about 40 miles away.

I walk the bike to the side of the road and in those days I didn't have a cell phone. What the hell was I going to do?

About ten minutes later some guy in his early fifties sees us and pulls over and asks if we have a problem. I explained what happened. I tell him where I live. He tells us he'll be right back. Fifteen minutes later he drives up with a flatbed trailer. We load the bike on to the trailer and he takes us all the way back to Moorpark. Wouldn't accept any money. He simply tells me that I can help him out someday if he ever breaks down on the side of the road.

Imagine that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or