U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 09:47 PM

11 posts, read 95,413 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving there and I need to know what life is like there. How is the enviroment? Weather? People? Shopping? I just need a detailed overview of the daily life in present- Los Angeles. I also need to know what is like in Hollywood Hills. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2007, 10:02 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,712,190 times
I suggest you search through this forum first. All of those questions have been answered. Once you do that, come back with more specific questions about more specific areas. I could literally write a couple thousand words describing "LA" because there are so many different areas all with different things to do and all with different weather.

Please, search this forum first.

Old 12-23-2007, 10:08 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,712,190 times
Now, if you specifically need info on the Hollywood Hills, let me start with that until you can decide on other, most specific areas.

Let me just give you a broad overview. The Hollywood Hills, as you can tell by the name, is the area of Hollywood up in the hills. Several rich people live up there, such as Lindsay Lohan, but the area is still a huge bargain compared to Beverly Hills. I really like that area and plan on living there someday. I like it because if you get high enough in the hills, you can have views of all of the LA Basin. But, you can also get a home on the other side of the Santa Monica Mountains facing the San Fernando Valley, which I would say is the less desirable side. For me, that's because the SFV has worse smog than the basin, and I don't want to be breathing that. Also, the SFV side is much hotter. I like the weather of the HH. The summers are nice and warm, always in the 80's, while the winter nights can dip into the upper 30's and lower 40's, which is a nice change. You will have easy access to almost anything in LA by living there-Downtown LA, West LA, the beach, Pasadena, the SFV, the Hollywood Bowl, the LA Zoo, Griffith Observatory, the Getty Museum, and several other things and places.

Now, do you have any more specific questions?

Old 12-23-2007, 10:12 PM

2,493 posts, read 3,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dx000 View Post
I plan on moving there and I need to know what life is like there. How is the enviroment? Weather? People? Shopping? I just need a detailed overview of the daily life in present- Los Angeles. I also need to know what is like in Hollywood Hills. Thanks for your help.
Weather is awesome, if you like warm temps and sunshine.

Shopping is the best in the world! I used to live near three major malls!

Plenty to do, all the time.

Downside is the pollution, traffic, and high cost of living.

Old 12-23-2007, 11:26 PM

2,197 posts, read 6,813,204 times
L.A. is great if you have bucks. Lots to do, lots to love. If you don't commute, have breathing problems or a shortage of cash, you'll be a happy camper.

You're going to need that cash to live in the hills... the canyons... near the beach... anywhere with a view, peace, quiet or security.

I'm being tongue-in-cheek, but really bring cash, forget the hills or plan on having lots of roommates. Four or five should do it. I do love L.A., though. Good luck to you!

P.S. Hey, Greenie! How was the trip?

Old 12-25-2007, 02:13 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,413,994 times
Default Yep....you need major bucks to have a decent life in LA

These guys just said it but I gotta say it too: If you do not have a lot of $$$ here you will likely be miserable. Hard to explain or describe but if you come to LA for a long visit or just move here you WILL catch on to this aspect real fast. There are just a lot of problems/aspects to life here that having a lot of cash in had will solve...if you don't have the money, these problems/aspects will trip you up real bad....real bad !

Old 12-26-2007, 12:58 AM

29 posts, read 116,927 times
It's a lot like NYC in the fact; If your rich, it's amazing, and if you anything but rich, it's not the same standard of living as many other large cities. Definitely a playground for the rich. Average houses start at 600k, and they aren't really anything special at that price. 2500+ rent will get you into a good apartment in a decent neighborhood. Make sure you have some money to throw around. You need to be very patient, because you will wait 3 times as long for everything out here. Service is horrible. Don't get me wrong, there are some upsides to it here. If you have purple hair and are a tattooed freak, no one will look twice at you. Although this city is very racially diverse, races here are not too accepting of each other. Every neighborhood is extremely segregated here; especially in the valley and outskirts. Try to live in the O.C. or the West Side. When I first came here, I thought people were snobs about the valley. I lived in the valley for 5 years, and it's true -> so ghetto...

DO YOUR RESEARCH. L.A. has it's ups and downs. One thing for sure, it ain't like on TV. If your going to move here, try it out for several months. Stay with a friend or in an extended stay lodge. This place is very different than the rest of the United States. It's more like another country than the U.S..

g' luck...

Old 12-26-2007, 06:38 AM

419 posts, read 1,874,924 times
I do not understand postings like this. This board is full of postings saying how terrible it is in LA unless you live in an elite neighborhood and have lots of money, but people keep posting saying they are moving to the City expecting it is still like it was in the 1960s.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:42 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,156,590 times
Default LA or MEXICO? Take a Guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_-qEzu1FW4
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
WHAT WOULD THE FOUNDING FATHERS DO? ...

Old 12-26-2007, 10:26 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,197,142 times
Junkman, this is a great "wake up"/trade-offs vid for potential relocators. I recognize so many of these areas depicted. To everyone else, ignore the rhetoric around it and watch the video. This is what you'll always be driving through in our long distance commuting city (particularly when you're detoured off the freeways east of downtown) and what you'll be living in (and having this music blasted at you at stadium volumes 24/7) on the equivalent of other cities' middle class incomes... unless you have one of those fabled, fabulous incomes and can cocoon yourself in the richest areas on the West side (or the 4-roommates to a 1-bedroom apartment in a better area solution, yadda yadda.)

Granted, I saw spots of hope in this video (poor people trying to brighten up their dire hovels with plastic flowers) but it does realistically depict what the now, new majority of Los Angeles considers acceptable. None of the this can ever be legislated away, due to L.A.'s peculiar laws protecting illegals.

I also recommend the first "Fast and Furious" (the Diesel one) as a companion piece to videos of this kind (and it's a lot more fun!) Despite its exciting action/adventure fantasy elements, it's a good depiction of sorts of what RIGHT NOW Los Angeles is, which, as the other posters point out, is far, far, far, from the old 1960's illusion one peddled by the entertainment PTB to this day. The locations and demographics picked for this film are spot on for present day L.A.

Last edited by fastfilm; 12-26-2007 at 10:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or