Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 11:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,901 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have found so much information on these forums. I just wanted to thank everyone in advance!

I am a finalist for a paid internship with ABC Television/Disney. If I get it, I will have to re-locate to LA at some point in April 2008.

I currently live in Ohio and make $43K a year before taxes at a boring job.

Now, the paid internship is $50k with benefits. Can I live in LA for this? I mean I understand I won't have an apartment with space and an a/c... but I also don't want to live in a shady area.

Also, I am debating -- should I bring my car? I have a fairly new car (just a little over a year old). I'm fine with driving it to LA for my move.

I've only been to LA/Hollywood twice on vacation. But, I am ready for a change!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 02:43 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,480,203 times
You need a car in LA. Period.

$50k sounds doable to me; depends on your spending habits of course.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 PM

142 posts, read 754,727 times
Sounds excellent! Get a roommate and budget yourself, and I think you should be just fine... save yourself money and drive there, since your car is fairly new. Congratulations!

Old 01-02-2008, 07:15 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,490 times
Opportunities like this do not come around often. Seize it, if this is what you really want to do. However, keep in mind that $50,000 here will not stretch nearly as far as the money that you earned in Ohio. You might want to visit a website that does cost of living calculations between the closest large city in Ohio and LA to see how much less your salary will buy you here. Also, don't burn any bridges in Ohio because my experience here in LA is that many companies go through interns rather quickly. There is a new crop every year.

Yes, definitely bring the car. You'll need it. I'm very happy for you.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:39 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,581 times
That's awesome. Congratulations!!! Very few get such internships. You must be something special.

You should be able to find something to meet your budget. Maybe you could even get an apartment together with one of the other interns. I suggest you live in Burbank, Studio City, or the Toluca Lake area. Those are all nice areas close to Disney and ABC. You could even try looking in Hollywood too if you want to be a little more adventurous and closer to LA nightlife. I suspect Disney might have some housing suggestions/recommendations too.

Also you definitely want to bring your car along. LA is a car city and you will enjoy the experience of living here more if you have your own ride.

Old 01-03-2008, 04:03 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Ditto everyone above.

$50K won't allow you to live in a mansion, but you can get by on that in LA. An internship like this will open a lot of doors for you so you should definitely take it.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Joan View Post
However, keep in mind that $50,000 here will not stretch nearly as far as the money that you earned in Ohio. You might want to visit a website that does cost of living calculations between the closest large city in Ohio and LA to see how much less your salary will buy you here.
Excellent idea, I didn't think about a website like that. I have already started to re-budget here to save money just in case. Such as buying groceries at Wal-Mart instead of the more expensive chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
That's awesome. Congratulations!!! Very few get such internships. You must be something special.
Well, right now I am only a finalist as I said. There is still another round and then they pick from that group I'm told. If anything though, even if I do not get it, it has given me the confidence that I could probably obtain work somehow in a related field, so even if this doesn't happen, I am pretty sure I will continue to look for other work / opportunities and still move to the LA area.

Quote:
I suggest you live in Burbank, Studio City, or the Toluca Lake area. Those are all nice areas close to Disney and ABC. You could even try looking in Hollywood too if you want to be a little more adventurous and closer to LA nightlife.
Thanks for those suggestions on where to live. Do either of those three have any particular "shady areas" I should avoid?

Also, would it be easy for me to drive down to Hollywood for a little nightlife on the weekend? Parking I assume would be a hassle.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:48 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,655 times
Good Luck to you!!!

Having a car is nice because the public transportation is somewhat behind most other large cities. On the other hand I have a friend who has lived in Hollywood for 9 years and never owned a car. He tends to get jobs within a mile or so and he's also got the public trans schedule memorized and he gets along very well. Walks to work and home for exercise so it works out good for him. We are taking our car. Ohio and Indiana are basically the same so we get kinda spoiled in the way of having a car.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg25 View Post
Thanks for those suggestions on where to live. Do either of those three have any particular "shady areas" I should avoid?

Also, would it be easy for me to drive down to Hollywood for a little nightlife on the weekend? Parking I assume would be a hassle.
To my knowledge, not really. Burbank, Studio City and Toluca Lake are all quite nice. None have a rep for being dangerous or unsafe. Although you might find some streets/neighborhoods/apartment buildings more appealing than others. A lot of it will depend on your own personal taste and budget. For example, an apartment building that might seem perfectly fine to you might not be acceptable to somebody else and vice versa.

Hollywood is a relatively short drive from Disney Studios in Burbank. It's just over the hill. About a 15-20 minute drive. Could be more or less depending on traffic and time of day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: