U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 04:55 PM

4,610 posts, read 10,342,710 times

Advertisements

Thousand Oaks and the surrounding area is safe with great schools and a great place to raise a family. It is a very desirable area. I also like it's location to the beach and the Santa Monica mountains in your backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 05:25 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,633,188 times
I don't think TO is a desireable place to live if you work downtown. It's a really LOOOOONNG commute.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:46 PM

26,345 posts, read 84,821,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I don't think TO is a desireable place to live if you work downtown. It's a really LOOOOONNG commute.
That is probably one of TO's biggest downsides and part of the reason I don't live in TO anymore. Most job opportunities for me were in El Segundo and south (to as far south as Irvine). Even with my 6AM start time, driving from ES back to TO was nasty.

Unless you work in the 101 corridor (West San Fernando Valley to the Oxnard Plain), you will have a tough drive to work. A lot of people in TO work at Amgen, Farmers, Teradyne, and Countrywide as well as lots of smaller companies (biotech, dotcom, etc.)

Old 12-27-2007, 12:01 AM

10,408 posts, read 2,394,458 times
I live in TO and I love it. I have been here since the 70s when my parents moved us here & now I am raising my kids here.

It's safe, clean, has great schools, lots of parks, shopping, restaurants, etc. Its a master planned community, and some people think that makes us 'boring' and 'all the same' but it also makes it a nice place to live.

The homes are expensive, and its a bit of drive to downtown LA area. BUT there are plenty of places to work in the area. The weather is great. You can drive to LA/the valley/the beaches/the mtns, etc.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:15 PM

25 posts, read 160,024 times
Default T.O. Rules

Well...in March I will have lived here in T.O. a year...how sick is that to those such as SoCal Momma...and others who where on this thread to help me ease my way to Southern California life! The time has flown and we love it here. It is driving distance to anything you want/need to do. Yes the traffic into the Valley and further is a big pain....but you just need to time your trips. If you work too far down it really doesn't pay to live as far up as T.O. It is not there for a young, single person...but if you are looking for a town to raise a family...I can't imagine there is a better place to do it.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:44 PM

10,408 posts, read 2,394,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenB View Post
Well...in March I will have lived here in T.O. a year...how sick is that to those such as SoCal Momma...and others who where on this thread to help me ease my way to Southern California life! The time has flown and we love it here. It is driving distance to anything you want/need to do. Yes the traffic into the Valley and further is a big pain....but you just need to time your trips. If you work too far down it really doesn't pay to live as far up as T.O. It is not there for a young, single person...but if you are looking for a town to raise a family...I can't imagine there is a better place to do it.
HI Glen
So glad that you love TO as much as I do Wow, its been almost a year already - time does fly by!

Happy New Year!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter10 View Post
How is Thousand Oaks, CA in terms of affordability, safety, jobs, etc.?
Costs = very expensive. I work in the mortgage industry. Expect to pay between $600K on up for a home. Condos or course less. $350K can get you an OK condo. Safety, well it has been at the top of the best lists in the USA for many years, however, a couple of murders dropped it out of the best in class list recently. The #1 employer is Amgen, #2 Countrywide Home Loans, and both have had recent layoffs.

The home market in this area is the last to be hit by the housing market drop because of the safety and good quality schools. Sales have slowed and dropped, but not to the degree it has in other parts of the US. If you can afford it, do it!

Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles