Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 07:11 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,016,545 times

Advertisements

People are still waiting in 15-20 minute lines just to get into that Dunkin Donuts in Santa Monica that opened up a week or two ago. I grew up in the midwest and I don't understand what the big deal is with Dunkin Donuts. Helpful tip - the Krispy Kreme one block away has no lines LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 07:46 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,311,225 times
I'm not going to rush there, but it is refreshing to see a place open here that is affordable for ordinary people.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:53 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,187,386 times
The town I grew up in had no 7-Eleven's at all for many years. Then one opened up at the edge of town and it was packed most of the day, every day for a month. Why? It is just 7-Eleven after all. Because it's new and we were basically told "No, you can't have 7-Eleven." for 25 years.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:58 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,492,073 times
We were thoroughly disgusted to see Dunkin Donuts in L.A. during our visit this past summer. Being from New York City our only choice for donuts is Dunkin Donuts. The donuts are small, dry and generally disgusting and the stores are smelly, poorly stocked and expensive. They often pair up with a Baskin Robbins or operate in conjunction with a gas station.
We were ecstatic to discover the variety and quality of donut shops in L.A. with their fine service and fresh, big donuts at a reasonable price.
Hopefully, the folks in L.A. will realize how pathetic D.D. is and will learn to avoid them so they shrivel up and die.

Old 09-12-2014, 09:43 PM

559 posts, read 1,380,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
I'm not going to rush there, but it is refreshing to see a place open here that is affordable for ordinary people.
You find those Cambodian-owned donut shops that dot the LA metro at one-block intervals to be unaffordable? I can get a baker's dozen+ for around five bucks without much trouble. They're often open 24hrs to boot.

On the other hand, people from other parts of the country have a soft spot for Dunkin' Donuts so I'm sure they'll find a niche. Plus, I've heard that many go for their coffee.

I remember when Krispy Kreme had the same long lines, even without social media. Many of those locations went out of business when the novelty wore off.

Until recently, I didn't realize that LA is the donut capital of the US.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:16 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,957,865 times
People go to Dunkin Donuts for the coffee.

The first time I ever saw one was in Milwaukee, and since I saw it, I had to try it. I am not a coffee drinker, so I obviously missed the fuss.

They opened in my area about a year ago, I've only been a few times, but that was mostly because that's what I was near, and that's what was open.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:19 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,946,275 times
I was going to opine about DD opening, but considering my screen name, I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
I was going to opine about DD opening, but considering my screen name, I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression.
Yeah, as soon as I saw you responded to the thread, I had my joke ready.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:21 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,016,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
The Krispy Kreme literally one block away is just as affordable and never has lines out the door. One summer in college I frequently went to Dunkin Donuts for 'breakfast' and I don't remember the donuts or the coffee being that great.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
The Krispy Kreme literally one block away is just as affordable and never has lines out the door.
It probably did when it opened.

The two aren't even comparable. Krispy Kremes are either gooey, or slightly hard and stale. Dunkin's are either hard and stale, or harder and stale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles