Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2014, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,304 times

Advertisements

Been watching peoples advice on places like Compton, Crenshaw, Iglewood, Long Beach etc.... And the most asked reply is "why as a tourist would u want to visit these areas" as they are not tourist areas and NOT places to go.... Well actually they are! Dangerous or not our most World Famous Rappers rap about these places constantly and have therefore made EVERYTHING about these places not only interesting but a HUGE tourist attraction for ALL fans of Hip Hop..... Fans if anything are gonna be the biggest visiters which im sure are visiting everyday even if its just to get a few quick pics of the Compton roadside sign etc....lol but still i aint heard of no visiters being harrassed, robbed or even killed. sometimes the bad always out does the good and im sure theres a lot of good people there too xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 08:19 PM

822 posts, read 1,283,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnickyshakurx View Post
Been watching peoples advice on places like Compton, Crenshaw, Iglewood, Long Beach etc.... And the most asked reply is "why as a tourist would u want to visit these areas" as they are not tourist areas and NOT places to go.... Well actually they are! Dangerous or not our most World Famous Rappers rap about these places constantly and have therefore made EVERYTHING about these places not only interesting but a HUGE tourist attraction for ALL fans of Hip Hop..... Fans if anything are gonna be the biggest visiters which im sure are visiting everyday even if its just to get a few quick pics of the Compton roadside sign etc....lol but still i aint heard of no visiters being harrassed, robbed or even killed. sometimes the bad always out does the good and im sure theres a lot of good people there too xx
The Watts towers by Simon Rodia is a legitimate tourist attraction and historical site for educational purposes. I recall going there on a field trip in grade school.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:31 PM

221 posts, read 347,544 times
We went to the Watts Towers last year; it and the art museum on-site were excellent. We also had phenomenal Mexican food in Compton.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:34 PM

150 posts, read 281,577 times
Those places have changed quite a bit since they were made famous by rappers. Mostly, I don't see a problem with going to these place. They mostly are safe. For me, LA has a lot to offer and I don't have a big reason to go there.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 AM

555 posts, read 803,832 times
Long Beach has the aquarium and some charming neighborhoods; I've always seen it as a tourist destination.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:58 PM

822 posts, read 1,283,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlee View Post
Long Beach has the aquarium and some charming neighborhoods; I've always seen it as a tourist destination.
I recall going to the Pike as a kid! And the Queen Mary (kid of boring). But the Pike was fun!

Old 10-01-2014, 05:29 AM

671 posts, read 1,189,851 times
"South Central" Los Angeles no longer exists. The residents fought for and got the name of the City of Los Angeles district officially changed to just "South Los Angeles" because the whole "South Central" brand was so negative.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:47 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,795,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
"South Central" Los Angeles no longer exists. The residents fought for and got the name of the City of Los Angeles district officially changed to just "South Los Angeles" because the whole "South Central" brand was so negative.
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is still a duck...

Old 10-01-2014, 06:58 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryKerryJr View Post
Because the area's problems could be changed merely by renaming it....

Old 10-01-2014, 07:06 AM

404 posts, read 433,446 times
Actually its because many of the criminal elements moved away into the Inland Empire and turned my hometown from a nice peaceful retirement community into a hellhole. I now live near Detroit, Michigan (didnt go there for that reason) and ironically feel much safer. I dont think theres anything wrong with visiting these places as a tourist. Dont dont walk the streets at night, be street smart and aware, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles