Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 11:06 AM

6 posts, read 5,230 times

Advertisements

I'm not planning to go for another 10 months, but i just want some info from people who have recently moved. I see a lot of replies from people who moved 10 years ago, and though its helpful-times have definitely changed.

-How much money do you think is smart to move with? 5k? 10k?
(i live in NM and its wayyy cheaper here, so i want to prepare).

-What areas do you love most for mid 20s? and resonably priced, maybe like 1500 for a 1 bdrm, or less haha! Ive read that burbank and palms is relatively "cheap".

-Please shoutout any good apartments complexes or crossroads of good neighborhoods so i can research more!

As well as any advice, suggestions, etc. I am due for a change and desperately miss the beach and city vibe every time i leave LA!

I know this is a pretty generic post, but any and all responses would be appreciated!

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 11:22 AM

822 posts, read 1,283,791 times
To reduce the cost rent a U HAUL. If you can fit it into a van, its easier to drive. NM is not that far from El A. You will have to do an overnight stay at a motel. I would recommend researching that to find a safe place so you don't find the van gone the next morning or you get robbed etc.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:44 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,246,150 times
After I moved to LA from NYC, I think I spent almost 30k. (dead srs)

LOL.

few grand for moving company, 15k for a new car, 500 here, 500 there because now i have space and can actually buy stuff, etc etc.

Spent a lot of money but I'm a lot happier here.

Rule #1 of living here: live less than 5 miles from your work.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:24 PM

221 posts, read 347,544 times
I moved here three years ago for my job. They provided a relocation allowance, but it took 60 days to be reimbursed and it did not cover deposits, etc.

I spent approximately:
$200 on a cheap UHaul and moving help (I hired young cousins to help, drove the UHaul myself, and was moving from another So Cal location)
$1000 on furniture/household stuff (I borrowed most furniture for the first year or so because I blew $600 of my budget on an antique desk that I had to have... never regretted it! I was getting divorced and had almost no furniture.)
$700 deposit (50% of rent, I selected a guest house)
$1400 first month rent/utilities (again, guest houses rock because they usually come with all the utilities paid)
$1500 first month other bills

I had to be pretty skimpy for about 3-4 months while waiting for my relocation reimbursement and first pay check. But I did do the move on the cheap. (Not without a job already in hand though.)

Old 10-01-2014, 11:50 PM

57 posts, read 78,072 times
$1500 for a one bedroom? You should look at Sherman Oaks, Encino, Woodland Hills...MAYBE Culver City, but I think that might be a little out of your price range. The most realistic suggestion is Woodland Hills. Definitely nowhere on the westside, unless you would enjoy living in a 300 soft studio.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 11,017 times
Moved here 3 months ago from NYC. I sold everything I owned on craigslist (which wasn't much), got on a plane over here, stayed in a hotel for a week while apartment hunting, found a place in Sherman Oaks ($1100/m for a one bedroom with balcony and pool). Bought my "new" furniture from the Salvation Army and paid a stoned dude with a truck hanging around outside $40 to deliver it all.

I probably spent about 5k on hotels, car rentals, "new" furniture, eating out (hotel didn't have a kitchen), and security deposit for the new apartment. Then I spent additional money purchasing a new car (didn't have one in NYC).

I researched neighborhoods before I flew out here, and narrowed it down to Sherman Oaks. I parked my car on the street near Burbank/Sepulveda, and just started walking around the neighborhood, calling all of the "NOW RENTING" signs. Looked at about 5 places before picking one.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:04 PM

221 posts, read 347,544 times
I ditto the suggestion to walk around and look for the "rent" signs. In many desirable neighborhoods, they rent based on those signs before they are even marketed. I'd avoid Craigslist because it's full of scams and it takes forever to weed out the scams. I did have success on my most recent place through Westside Rentals. That was $60 well spent; took me only 3 days to find a place and I had two back-up places that would have worked as well.

On neighborhoods -- I currently pay $1500/month for a one-bedroom cottage with a garage and small yard/patio in South Pasadena. The Eastside has relatively cheap rent and you can get into a nice one-bedroom apartment or tiny house for your budget. The utilities will be cheaper in an apartment. While people talk about first/last/deposit... I have rented three homes in three different neighborhoods on the Eastside and none of them ever charged me last or a deposit more than 50% of rent. And I have two dogs. However, I also have a great job and credit. But just saying -- you might look around. Pick a neighborhood you really like, because all the communities have very different characters, and then if you have the luxury to hunt for a week or two and be choosy, do it.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:29 PM

31 posts, read 36,020 times
I haven't even moved yet and I will give you my opinion that going there with 5k/10k is cutting it EXTREMELY close. You may be able to get by if you land a job as soon as you get there.... but me personally I wouldn't go anywhere without at least half a years total expenses saved up. 5-10k might sound like it works but the truth is few people can predict every single expenses that arises, and you should have well above what you need.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:42 AM

6 posts, read 5,230 times
Thank you ALL! Really, really helpful information to consider in my moving plans!

I appreciate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles