Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 05:20 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
HA! A great tip, Bunjee!! I might just do that!! Love duck, but even more a goose. But the chance to eat any is pretty slim...
You can call Tam O'Shanter in Los Feliz and see if they're serving goose. Closer to Christmas for sure. Someone was doing goose tacos for the holidays last year. Still, more like a Christmas thing.

Ah, I'm recalling living in a more rural area around Sacramento and seeing THOUSANDS of geese flying way up overhead. And me (not much of a gunsman) still thinking hmmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 10:43 PM

61,651 posts, read 87,023,434 times
^^^^^ ... LOL...

Old 11-22-2014, 06:30 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,080 times
I haven't gone back to re-read the thread so some of these will be repeats:

Since New York City stole the Space Shuttle that was rightfully Houston's, you should check out Endeavour at the California Science Center at Exposition Park. The Natural History Museum, California African-American Museum, Rose garden, Sports Arena and LA Memorial Coliseum (site of two summer Olympics) are all there as well.

Page Museum at the La Brea Tar Pits is literally unique for any urban area in the U.S. It's next door to LACMA (LA County Museum of Art) with popular outdoor art such as "Urban Light" and "Levitated Mass."

The Magic Castle in Hollywood would be a one-of-a-kind stop.

Museum of Jurassic Technology, Museum of Death in Hollywood or Venice Beach Freakshow if your tastes run into the bizarre.

If you swing through Little Tokyo in DTLA, you could check out Hello! Exploring the Supercute World of Hello Kitty, "the first large-scale Hello Kitty museum retrospective in the United States" at the Japanese American National Museum. The first ever Hello Kitty Con was a sold out event at the Geffen Contemporary Museum next door.

The LA Auto Show is going on from November 21-30 at the Convention Center. Grab a bacon-wrapped hotdog from one of the many street vendors in the area.

Enjoy your trip.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:40 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,014,069 times
Quote:
I will be going to LA in November. The company is paying for 5 days stay (Thur-Mon), but I will be busy only few hours each workday. This is my first visit to LA, and probably a last, and I want to see as much as I can.
I will have rental car, so reasonable distances are not a problem.
While it seems that I have many days for planning, I want to start making a list, coordinate routes, find out visiting hours if applicable, etc. I am determined to use my time there to the max - see the most interesting things, eat, drink and take lots of pictures
I would hate to discover later on, that I missed something I really should see. It happened in the past
I am OK with moving around by myself, and I don't mind visiting places that are less safe, as long they are worth it.
Interested in spots for good aerial pictures of LA, (skyscapers with public access, even multi-level parking garage with a great view will do). Places to see the mountains, the ocean, sunsets, interesting landscape, landmarks, historical buildings/neighborhoods etc....
Where to go to eat good food, or places famous for local specialty, location or architecture.
Please help me make my stay memorable.
Keep this thread going - I appreciate any input.
Thank you!!!
Hey Elnina. I hope you enjoy your upcoming trip to Los Angeles. There are so many things to do and many of the posters have given excellent suggestions so far.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:58 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
Most tourist spots (museums, etc.) will probably be closed on Thursday. Unfortunately, Thanksgiving is one of those holidays where nearly everybody closes. I would take a nice long drive down Pacific Coast highway -- start in Malibu and just drive until you're bored with it all.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:39 PM

Leaving next week, and wondering if someone can suggest a good Metro (local transit) app for Android or Windows Phone 8.1
I checked the store, but there are so many - and I don't know which is best and easiest to use.
https://play.google.com/store/search...s&c=apps&hl=en

Also, for a back up - if someone knows a good LA travel guide app - I would really appreciate it!
I downloaded Trip Advisor LA, but not sure if that's the best.
Local people could justify it better

Thank you all, again!!

Old 11-23-2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Most tourist spots (museums, etc.) will probably be closed on Thursday. Unfortunately, Thanksgiving is one of those holidays where nearly everybody closes. I would take a nice long drive down Pacific Coast highway -- start in Malibu and just drive until you're bored with it all.
That's should be a good day to go Downtown (less traffic?) and explore.
Forecast says rain on Monday. Getty Museum will be closed, so I have to figure out where to go and stay dry.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:16 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,166,855 times
Quote:
That's should be a good day to go Downtown (less traffic?) and explore.
Forecast says rain on Monday. Getty Museum will be closed, so I have to figure out where to go and stay dry.
If you want to take a nice drive, drive all the way down Sunset (from Pacific Coast Highway) to Downtown. That will take you by lots and lots of famous places and you can just see what is open. You can then take Wilshire Blvd. back -- which will take you by a lot of other things like the LaBrea Tar pits, Farmer's Market, The Grove (they are all a few blocks north of Wilshire on Fairfax).

Traffic will be light that day.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
If you want to take a nice drive, drive all the way down Sunset (from Pacific Coast Highway) to Downtown. That will take you by lots and lots of famous places and you can just see what is open. You can then take Wilshire Blvd. back -- which will take you by a lot of other things like the LaBrea Tar pits, Farmer's Market, The Grove (they are all a few blocks north of Wilshire on Fairfax).

Traffic will be light that day.
Light traffic on Monday?

You're right! So many places to see!!! Thank you!!
I bookmarked this map, and oh man! this is just amazing!
https://www.laconservancy.org/explor...istoric-places

BTW: isn't Magic Castle an upscale club? It says "by invitation only"
"You must be a member of the club or have a guest card from a member in good standing. You must have your guest card with you when you arrive at the Magic Castle."
http://magiccastle.com/visiting/dresscode.cfm

Last edited by elnina; 11-24-2014 at 12:43 AM..

Old 11-24-2014, 12:46 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,209 times
Quote:
Leaving next week, and wondering if someone can suggest a good Metro (local transit) app for Android or Windows Phone 8.1
I checked the store, but there are so many - and I don't know which is best and easiest to use.
https://play.google.com/store/search...s&c=apps&hl=en

Also, for a back up - if someone knows a good LA travel guide app - I would really appreciate it!
I downloaded Trip Advisor LA, but not sure if that's the best.
Local people could justify it better

Thank you all, again!!

Metro's page, Metro.net has the link under the tab GO -->mobile apps. I think from the link above the main one is Go Metro by Axiom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles