Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2014, 10:38 AM

244 posts, read 628,456 times

Advertisements

Good morning LA!

Before making the thread, I made a look around but couldn't find an actual thread about it so decided to make one with hopes of getting a few answers that I might already know, BUT coming from actual people from Canada (I am actually from Montreal, Quebec) who probably started with the same questions and made the move. Maybe it can enlighten me a little easier...

I turned 26 on Monday, I am currently in University here, getting myself my 9 missing University credits in January for the semester until March and in September start a first Certificate in probably Administration and Communication for the 2nd. Nothing sure yet, but I know what I want to do just not 100% sure what to study for it and where it could lead me.

My studies will be done in Montreal, I'm working hard to get into radio and tv hosting which is working fine for me here, but I want to make it more solid before I do anything. If I happen to move out to LA or surrounding areas which I know in surrounding areas I would have a better chance of doing it (Bakersfield, Oxnard, Valley, San Bernandino and other smaller areas than actual LA)

I'm working to become a TV and radio host and even some acting, which here is working pretty good so far, been able to do a lot of great stuff which I am very fortunate.

IF it doesn't workout, my main objective while working with communities in either politics and local city counsils such as anything community related would be in Sports & Entertainment companies such as market developpement, media, customer/business partner relations, expansion, publicity and such but I'm not exactly sure what kind of degree/certificate could get me there to work for these type of companies.

Could be anything from smaller companies to bigger companies.

Going back on my first question, anyone from out of America came here with their degrees and were able to make a decent living and come in to work and live? How did the process go, how did you do it, where did you apply such as government and such?

I'd be very interested, maybe the questions could enlighten me a little more!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 10:54 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,480,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
Good morning LA!

Before making the thread, I made a look around but couldn't find an actual thread about it so decided to make one with hopes of getting a few answers that I might already know, BUT coming from actual people from Canada (I am actually from Montreal, Quebec) who probably started with the same questions and made the move. Maybe it can enlighten me a little easier...

I turned 26 on Monday, I am currently in University here, getting myself my 9 missing University credits in January for the semester until March and in September start a first Certificate in probably Administration and Communication for the 2nd. Nothing sure yet, but I know what I want to do just not 100% sure what to study for it and where it could lead me.

My studies will be done in Montreal, I'm working hard to get into radio and tv hosting which is working fine for me here, but I want to make it more solid before I do anything. If I happen to move out to LA or surrounding areas which I know in surrounding areas I would have a better chance of doing it (Bakersfield, Oxnard, Valley, San Bernandino and other smaller areas than actual LA)

I'm working to become a TV and radio host and even some acting, which here is working pretty good so far, been able to do a lot of great stuff which I am very fortunate.

IF it doesn't workout, my main objective while working with communities in either politics and local city counsils such as anything community related would be in Sports & Entertainment companies such as market developpement, media, customer/business partner relations, expansion, publicity and such but I'm not exactly sure what kind of degree/certificate could get me there to work for these type of companies.

Could be anything from smaller companies to bigger companies.

Going back on my first question, anyone from out of America came here with their degrees and were able to make a decent living and come in to work and live? How did the process go, how did you do it, where did you apply such as government and such?

I'd be very interested, maybe the questions could enlighten me a little more!

Thanks in advance!
I don't know much about the field you want to get into, but as a Californian, let me tell you that moving to cities like Bakersfiled, Oxnard and San Bernardino (unless you are an agriculturist or a social worker) will do nothing for your career, and you would be much better off staying in Canada than moving to any of those places. San Bernardino is also one of the most crime ridden, destitute places anywhere in the country and you want nothing to do with that place.

Los Angeles is the second largest television market after New York, so try to find your place within the metropolis. There's no need for you to go to the fringes like youre some new age cowboy. Also, the valley and cities like Burbank is where it's at for what you want to do.

Good luck

Old 10-03-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I don't know much about the field you want to get into, but as a Californian, let me tell you that moving to cities like Bakersfiled, Oxnard and San Bernardino (unless you are an agriculturist or a social worker) will do nothing for your career, and you would be much better off staying in Canada than moving to any of those places. San Bernardino is also one of the most crime ridden, destitute places anywhere in the country and you want nothing to do with that place.

Los Angeles is the second largest television market after New York, so try to find your place within the metropolis. There's no need for you to go to the fringes like youre some new age cowboy. Also, the valley and cities like Burbank is where it's at for what you want to do.

Good luck

I mentioned those cities because (being realistic, you make it into the big city once you made it) meaning can't expect to start off in a big city right away without making your mark in smaller markets. That's why I was throwing it out there!

LA is def. where I want. One of the big 3 of Cali and surrounding areas. I'm not happy here in Montreal although I enjoy it...

Old 10-03-2014, 11:15 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,480,047 times
Quote:
I mentioned those cities because (being realistic, you make it into the big city once you made it) meaning can't expect to start off in a big city right away without making your mark in smaller markets. That's why I was throwing it out there!

LA is def. where I want. One of the big 3 of Cali and surrounding areas. I'm not happy here in Montreal although I enjoy it...
Yeah I understand where you were going with it, but just trust me when I tell you that those markets are too insignificant for you to gain any real career traction. Some smaller markets to look at in the surrounding areas that have their own radio/television networks and can lead you into L.A.: Riverside (IE), Santa Barbara, San Diego, Las Vegas. I would recommend Orange County, south of L.A., but we get all the stations that LA gets, so it is essentially the same market.

BTW, one of my best friends is a news producer, who started in the Las Vegas market and then moved to San Francisco. She's been wanting to get back to L.A. where she is from, but she says it is much more competitive than even SF. Then again, I get the feeling that she has become complacent and isn't not necessarily pushing her hardest to come back down here.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Yeah I understand where you were going with it, but just trust me when I tell you that those markets are too insignificant for you to gain any real career traction. Some smaller markets to look at in the surrounding areas that have their own radio/television networks and can lead you into L.A.: Riverside (IE), Santa Barbara, San Diego, Las Vegas. I would recommend Orange County, south of L.A., but we get all the stations that LA gets, so it is essentially the same market.

BTW, one of my best friends is a news producer, who started in the Las Vegas market and then moved to San Francisco. She's been wanting to get back to L.A. where she is from, but she says it is much more competitive than even SF. Then again, I get the feeling that she has become complacent and isn't not necessarily pushing her hardest to come back down here.
The hardest part for me is how to get a work visa, I know it's duable that's why I made the thread to find out the experience of people who made it.

I been thinking a lot, actually i'm not really focused on one area only, Riverside, SB, SD, LV, OC, SF and areas anywhere would be fantastic. My plan is to finish studies here first, re-make my portfolio and send it.

If it doesn't work as I said, apply to companies and office work as in marketing, communication, business developpement, customer/business relations and such anything that I can have my creativity get into play, have fun and make something special!

Old 10-05-2014, 03:28 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,574,188 times
Quote:
The hardest part for me is how to get a work visa, I know it's duable that's why I made the thread to find out the experience of people who made it.

I been thinking a lot, actually i'm not really focused on one area only, Riverside, SB, SD, LV, OC, SF and areas anywhere would be fantastic. My plan is to finish studies here first, re-make my portfolio and send it.

If it doesn't work as I said, apply to companies and office work as in marketing, communication, business developpement, customer/business relations and such anything that I can have my creativity get into play, have fun and make something special!
It would be easier to finish your studies here, and get a student visa. Plus, that would enable job contacts and give you knowledge about the area. It's easier to get a student visa than it is a work visa. IMO.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:02 PM

8,452 posts, read 14,996,726 times
Quote:
Try this forum re getting the work visa, and BTW, "def" don't call it Cali. Sounds like a wanna-be rapper.

//www.city-data.com/forum/legal-immigration/

Old 10-05-2014, 04:40 PM

It would cost me a whole lot of money to do my studies in LA, a whole lot since im foreign... I has thought about Sana Monica College for like 6k. But now its not worth it for me anymore.

University there I'd be in 100k student debts easy and I can't get into I unless I have the cash to do so. I thought finish my studies here while networking with people and when I'm ready one off semester do an intenship (try my best for one) on a summer or off season of school semester and go from there.

I'll look the thread and read it, I heard a work visa can cost up to 10k if I know I can get a good job if prefer go invest in that eventually.

I'm surprised no one for here knows or is Canadian or foreign!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:25 PM

105 posts, read 316,651 times
I am a Canadian and in the business here in Los Angeles. Follow your dreams and your visa will follow…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles