Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2014, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,723 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
I wanted to get your opinion on what car to get, it would be a first car and i don't have the biggest wallet (10,000). I want a car that you can pull over with my girlfriend and just sleep the night there.

I was thinking:
Kombi----- it is my dream car but all good ones are just too expensive and arent the most reliable or fastest cars.

ANY other ideas could be great.

Thanks C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 03:02 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,649 times
This post should go well. OP, run. Angelenos don't like people bumming on their streets.

Old 10-06-2014, 06:12 PM

401 posts, read 767,712 times
Dear OP,

Most trolls post ridiculous questions on an account with very few posts (like 1).

If you're not a troll and you want people to take you seriously, post non-ridiculous posts for a while .. then come back with this stuff.

Thx.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:46 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carno11 View Post
Hey guys,
I wanted to get your opinion on what car to get, it would be a first car and i don't have the biggest wallet (10,000). I want a car that you can pull over with my girlfriend and just sleep the night there.

I was thinking:
Kombi----- it is my dream car but all good ones are just too expensive and arent the most reliable or fastest cars.

Thanks C
Since the OP is using the term "Kombi," I'm assuming s/he's not an American (VW nuts will recognize the term for the Type 2/Vanagon/Bus). VW Buses are premium vehicles; you can get a used minivan or old Volvo wagon for much less than $10,000.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but in LA, it isn't legal to sleep in your car. You'll have to go to a campsite or RV (recreational vehicle) park.

Naturally, lots of people do live in their cars but they run the risk of being harassed or ticketed. I think Walmart allows people to sleep overnight in their parking lots.

I googled and found a couple sites that might help you out:

A Guide to Car-Camping – in Walmart Parking Lots - The Morning Fresh

Free Campgrounds for RVs

Wal-Mart stores that do not allow overnight RV parking

If your primary aim is to travel around the US, you could try couchsurfing/Airbnb.

City-Data has its own Camping and RVing Forum.

Vehicle specific questions can be better directed to the Automotive Forum.

Good luck.

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 10-06-2014 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: added links

Old 10-07-2014, 11:26 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,635,455 times
Since you are posting this in the L.A. forum, my advice would be to avoid pulling over and sleeping anywhere in L.A. You could be visited by the LAPD, or by someone who will make you wish for a visit from the LAPD. If you absolutely must sleep in a vehicle, try not to make it obvious that someone is inside.

Old 10-07-2014, 12:37 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,388,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carno11 View Post
Hey guys,

I was thinking:

Thanks C
'59 Mercury wagon.

Don't ask how I know

Old 10-07-2014, 02:00 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Op, I had a kombi for a few years, (1979 VW Westfalia bus), and it was the most fun and practical vehicle I have ever owned. I regret the day I sold it. I'm pretty close to purchasing a Eurovan camper so that I can once again experience the joy of freedom again. No, they are not 'fast', but they will get you there. Half the fun is in the journey. Maintain them, and they are reliable enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles