U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:46 PM

27 posts, read 139,022 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the city of El Sereno. Is it a safe area to live in? What is the closest city near El Sereno?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 PM

67,665 posts, read 16,650,967 times
The closest city is South Pas. What do you want to know? as safe as anywhere else.
renting? buying?

Old 12-30-2007, 11:17 PM

116 posts, read 574,989 times
First off, El Sereno is not a city, but a neighborhood located within Los Angeles. As for overall safety, it varies greatly within the neighorhood. There are some okay areas, and other areas I would definitely not want to live.

Generally speaking, there are about five nice blocks of houseing bordering Alhambra's Emery Park neighborhood. Anything East of Dorchester all the way to Winchester will be okay. The area is filled with single family 1920's era spanish and tudor homes. There is another nice area near Wilson High School and Cal State L.A.. The last pocket of nice homes is North of Huntinton Drive adjacent to South Pasadena. In between all of the above areas is some serious blight...all the homes with chain-link fences (a red flag), bars on windows, dead grass, graffiti and tagging, etc...

That being said, the location of El Sereno is excellent. It's about a ten minute drive, via Huntington/Broadway, to Downtown. South Pasadena and Pasadena are ten or fifteen minutes northeast. It is freeway accessible too.

My wife and I used to live in the area before having children, and found it to be fine. It's close proximity to downtown, and Northeast L.A. (Silverlake/Hollywood) made it great. It's not child friendly though and I would have concerns if I wanted to raise a family. Safety wise, it's all relative. If you find Silverlake and parts of Echo Park safe, then the good parts of El Sereno will be fine. If not, beware...

Good luck to you

Old 03-10-2008, 11:20 AM

1,714 posts, read 5,541,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucero32 View Post
My wife and I used to live in the area before having children, and found it to be fine. It's close proximity to downtown, and Northeast L.A. (Silverlake/Hollywood) made it great. It's not child friendly though and I would have concerns if I wanted to raise a family. Safety wise, it's all relative. If you find Silverlake and parts of Echo Park safe, then the good parts of El Sereno will be fine. If not, beware...
I know this is an old thread, but I would like to follow up on the above. In what way is El Sereno not child-friendly? I would love to know more about this, as I have located a house that I like in the Monterey Road area... and, as I've posted in other threads, we are looking for something safe for our children.

Thanks...

Old 03-10-2008, 11:23 AM

1,714 posts, read 5,541,807 times
Also, please tell me about Debs Park. What kind of a park is it? Anything special to set it apart from other parks? Is it nice for families?

Old 03-10-2008, 01:09 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,964,385 times
Thumbs up Montecito Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Also, please tell me about Debs Park. What kind of a park is it? Anything special to set it apart from other parks? Is it nice for families?
Oh, Debs Park is great- I used to take my dogs all over that park. They have a little pond at the top, near Monterey Road. I lived adjacent to it in Montecito Heights and never had a bad time. I DID read years ago about gangs in that area, but never encountered anything of the sort. I believed they closed off access by the Audubon Center (have you been there? Really nice- completed off the grid), but I'm sure you can access it through the main gate off Monterey.

It is pretty hilly, not as much so as Griffith, but you will need to tackle a fairly steep grade to get to the pond. Once up there, they have paved trails that head north toward So Pasadena and meander west and east.

Old 03-10-2008, 06:05 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,541,667 times
ES is a nice old part of the east side. it is very hilly and has lil gang activity. most homes in the hills are nicer than on the flat streets. some areas were considered the beverly hills of the east back in the day. the areas by wilson are nicer and some parts higher up in the hills also. it is a relatively safe place. they are trying to revitalize huntington into a more pedestrian area with specialty shops and such, so pretty soon it might be the next eagle rock...

Old 03-10-2008, 07:49 PM

Default NELA fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I would like to follow up on the above. In what way is El Sereno not child-friendly? I would love to know more about this, as I have located a house that I like in the Monterey Road area... and, as I've posted in other threads, we are looking for something safe for our children.

Thanks...
I would say Monterey Road is the farthest west of El Sereno you can get, it is actually Monterey Hills/Montecito Heights area. I used to live up Montecito Drive, looking out over the Heights at County USA and Rose Hill down below. Rose Hill is an old housing project but we never had any trouble with the residents- there is a Catholic Church next door as well. I think the area around Monterey Road is rather nice, tho the street is a little busy. But having Monterey Hills behind you, and the park in front is pretty cool.

The parts of El Sereno south of Huntington are fine, for the most part and abut Alhambra south and east. The REALLY nice part of El Sereno (out of my range at least) is the northernmost area behind Charlie's Trio. I think they call it the Berkshire tract. They are right next to So Pas and Alhambra.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
I would say Monterey Road is the farthest west of El Sereno you can get, it is actually Monterey Hills/Montecito Heights area. I used to live up Montecito Drive, looking out over the Heights at County USA and Rose Hill down below. Rose Hill is an old housing project but we never had any trouble with the residents- there is a Catholic Church next door as well. I think the area around Monterey Road is rather nice, tho the street is a little busy. But having Monterey Hills behind you, and the park in front is pretty cool.

The parts of El Sereno south of Huntington are fine, for the most part and abut Alhambra south and east. The REALLY nice part of El Sereno (out of my range at least) is the northernmost area behind Charlie's Trio. I think they call it the Berkshire tract. They are right next to So Pas and Alhambra.
Oops, make that County USC (Hospital).

Old 03-10-2008, 10:46 PM

5,031 posts, read 11,494,559 times
Also lived several years in El Sereno in a house over 100 steps above the street [great workout]. Agree with others that down on Huntington Drive/Eastern Ave you will see some gang members. Up in the hills it is quiet & stays warm at night. I enjoyed living in El Sereno for is great location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles