Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,511 times

Advertisements

In a couple of weeks, my mom and I are going to start over by moving to North Hollywood from Louisville, Ky. On paper it looks great but is there any good paying jobs in that area how we could get to and from work without dealing with the traffic? How far is Hollywood from North? How far is Downtown Los Angeles? Right now our plan is to try to find a job as quick as possible and then go on from there trying to find a place. Thanks to those who responds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:20 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Born View Post
In a couple of weeks, my mom and I are going to start over by moving to North Hollywood from Louisville, Ky. On paper it looks great but is there any good paying jobs in that area how we could get to and from work without dealing with the traffic? How far is Hollywood from North? How far is Downtown Los Angeles? Right now our plan is to try to find a job as quick as possible and then go on from there trying to find a place. Thanks to those who responds.
Is sounds like you have never been to Los Angeles or California before. What a surprise you are in for. If it is possible for you, the best thing you could do is go their for a vacation and see what the place is all about before it's to late.
I have been in Louisville before it was a long time ago but then it was not a bad place to be, A darn site better than Los Angeles.
You may want to take a look at this video It showes things the way they are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_-qEzu1FW4

Last edited by junkman18; 12-30-2007 at 08:11 AM..

Old 12-30-2007, 08:43 AM

413 posts, read 1,845,459 times
Proof that racism is alive and well even in California.

Make the move! Kentucky sucks compared to California. Don't listen to the naysayers, they are just bitter because things may have not went as planned for whatever reason so they get off on shooting other peoples hopes and dreams down.

On the other hand the above poster made 1 decent point, you SHOULD visit first. North Hollywood would not be my choice. Maybe just look into some other areas. I know the rent in NH is cheaper but really it's not worth it. If your not dead set on L.A. you could always look at Fresno. It's only a few hours north of L.A. and a $1200. one bedroom in L.A. will only cost around $700. in Fresno. That's where we are moving if L.A. don't work out.

CA is a great state with alot of opportunity if your determined and focused.

Just explore your possibilities and go for it!!!!! Good Luck!!!

PS- It's not like it is on TV......but close

Old 12-30-2007, 10:07 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,494,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Proof that racism is alive and well even in California.

Make the move! Kentucky sucks compared to California. Don't listen to the naysayers, they are just bitter because things may have not went as planned for whatever reason so they get off on shooting other peoples hopes and dreams down.

On the other hand the above poster made 1 decent point, you SHOULD visit first. North Hollywood would not be my choice. Maybe just look into some other areas. I know the rent in NH is cheaper but really it's not worth it. If your not dead set on L.A. you could always look at Fresno. It's only a few hours north of L.A. and a $1200. one bedroom in L.A. will only cost around $700. in Fresno. That's where we are moving if L.A. don't work out.

CA is a great state with alto of opportunity if your determined and focused.

Just explore your possibilities and go for it!!!!! Good Luck!!!

PS- It's not like it is on TV......but close
You seem to have a violent nature about you jugging by the movies you enjoy, so maybe you will do fine in LA. How long has it been sense you have seen Louisville Ky? as i said it has been a long time for me but it was better than the LA area by far when I live their for about a year. But for the most part people move away from LA not to LA.
O yeah be sure to pull that good ol race card

Best of luck to the one moving their, You'll need it.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:19 AM

18 posts, read 97,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
You seem to have a violent nature about you jugging by the movies you enjoy, so maybe you will do fine in LA. How long has it been sense you have seen Louisville Ky? as i said it has been a long time for me but it was better than the LA area by far when I live their for about a year. But for the most part people move away from LA not to LA.
O yeah be sure to pull that good ol race card

Best of luck to the one moving their, You'll need it.
That's exactly what I keep thinking. I can't stand that horror garbage and death metal either. It contributes nothing positive to society and it just brings more ugliness to the world. I suppose someone of such a dark interior would feel comfortable around the darker aspects of LA society.

To the OP. You will need a college education to get a good paying job in LA. Hopefully your mother has that. I don't think LA would be very enjoyable on low paying HS educated jobs.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:01 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky Born View Post
Specifically, what are you referring to by writing "on paper it looks great"?

Why do you want to move to LA?

What kind of job do you think you will get?
What are your salary requirements?
How long do you think it will take you to find an acceptable job?
Do you have funds to cover this initial unemployment?
What will your rent budget be and what are your living requirements (number of bedrooms, etc.)?

What is Plan B?

Old 12-30-2007, 11:04 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,486 times
Hi, Kentuckyborn. Please accept some thoughts from 5-decade resident here who's also familiar with the South. There are trade-offs in everything in life. You are probably going to love the weather here overall, but probably are going to be surprised that summer in Noho (our provincial slang for North Hollywood's entertainment sector- N. Hllywd is actually a large area that encompasses both good and slummy areas) can seem a lot hotter than charts on L.A. indicate it is, and the smog will be felt by your lungs. I personally found 80 degrees and humid in the South to be more tolerable than 105 degrees in summer here in the Valley for weeks on end, but to each their own.

North Hollywood is in the San Fernando Valley: the L.A. basin is huge, and defined by a few mountain ranges that affect weather patterns. Hollywood (proper,) West L.A., downtown, East L.A., everything towards Orange County, and all the beach cities are on one side of mountains and have different weather than the Valley side, which has more desert influence (hotter in summer, cooler in "winter." We don't have a real winter, just a month long rainy season in our non-drought years. Most parts of L.A. never approach freezing.)

North Hollywood and Hollywood (and Downtown for that matter, although our Downtown isn't as important as most major cities, insofar as everthing is so spread out here with their own hubs) look close on a map as the crow flies, but remain a commute that takes longer than one would suspect because our streets and freeways are clogged in all but the wee hours of late night/earliest a.m. A car is suggested to get the most out of L.A. The public transportation is more limited than most suspect (a tangled maze of changing buses, or the few train lines that close early.)

Yes, you should follow your own spirit of adventure in your family's move here, but you are wise to try to access the facts. Your mother should be very proud of your efforts in that. The posters who brought up job qualifications needed for anything but dire poverty in our EXTREMELY expensive to live in city, and the foreign influence in L.A. alluded to in the video are more accurate than posters who idealize the very out-dated LaLaLand of milk and honey dreams.

To give an example, this forum once debated an interesting newspaper piece that spotlighted sisters from Mexico that moved to the U.S. One moved to Kentucky, learned English, became a U.S. citizen, took night classes to further her education, and within a mere decade had moved up in the world from her initial factory job to being a partner in her own retail shop. Her children did well in school, and attended college. They all, in a word, assimilated, and reaped the benefits of what our country has to offer.

Her sister moved to Los Angeles, where she took fertility drugs and had ten children. She remains on public welfare and in 22 years has failed to acquire any English whatsoever. Her children claimed they hated visiting their Kentucky cousins because "they use big words in English." The cynical might assert that she is "livin' the life" because she never has to confront the English language (over half of all media here are in a foreign language,) and has lowly American taxpayers fund every aspect of her non-productive, selfish life. This sort of illustrated the difference in the demographics between Kentucky and Los Angeles insofar as those starting off without money are concerned. You may find yourself around a lot of people like the L.A. sister, so don't be surprised if you're competing for entry-level jobs with people like her kids.

I presume you're moving to Noho because you have family or friends' connections there. Could you tell us what type of work your family is seeking? Maybe this forum can help you more in suggesting where whatever work it is might be found. For instance, as I wrote, Dowtown isn't the end-all and be-all of employment here. Different, and far-flung areas have different businesses.

And lastly, unless you thread through our traffic to get to the beaches, or can make it to Griffith Park (nearer N. Hollywood) you're not going to have the refreshing beauty that you may have taken for granted in KY. Even a small ways outside the cities in KY you saw it. Here, the cities are all blended together and, excepting the richest places, mediocre-looking to dowright ugly. I only mention this because other posters who aren't working people forget that hard-working people can feel a tad beaten down without something else to look forward to other than the 4 walls of a small, inexpensive place.

Good luck. Try using Mapquest, just diving in anywhere and scrolling around, to "learn" your way around the huge expanses of L.A. before you get here, and then double the amount of time it says to get anywhere. Everyone on this forum agrees with this statement!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 11:27 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,301,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Is sounds like you have never been to Los Angeles or California before. What a surprise you are in for. If it is possible for you, the best thing you could do is go their for a vacation and see what the place is all about before it's to late.
I have been in Louisville before it was a long time ago but then it was not a bad place to be, A darn site better than Los Angeles.
You may want to take a look at this video It showes things the way they are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_-qEzu1FW4
It is what it is!!! This is not anything but pictures of the N. Hollywood area and it looks just like what I see when I go there. It's not pretty. A bit scary infact! But honestly this is what it is like. It depends on what you are looking for. It may be just what you are looking for...then again it could be a big shock. Just my personal opinion and I lived in the Valley for the last 35 years but just recently moved away because of what these pictures show you. It is what it is!!!! I don't even think of the racist part---I don't like the way it looks( it's filthy) and the gangs there!!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 12-30-2007 at 11:38 AM..

Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,501,453 times
Excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Hi, Kentuckyborn. Please accept some thoughts from 5-decade resident here who's also familiar with the South. There are trade-offs in everything in life. You are probably going to love the weather here overall, but probably are going to be surprised that summer in Noho (our provincial slang for North Hollywood's entertainment sector- N. Hllywd is actually a large area that encompasses both good and slummy areas) can seem a lot hotter than charts on L.A. indicate it is, and the smog will be felt by your lungs. I personally found 80 degrees and humid in the South to be more tolerable than 105 degrees in summer here in the Valley for weeks on end, but to each their own.

North Hollywood is in the San Fernando Valley: the L.A. basin is huge, and defined by a few mountain ranges that affect weather patterns. Hollywood (proper,) West L.A., downtown, East L.A., everything towards Orange County, and all the beach cities are on one side of mountains and have different weather than the Valley side, which has more desert influence (hotter in summer, cooler in "winter." We don't have a real winter, just a month long rainy season in our non-drought years. Most parts of L.A. never approach freezing.)

North Hollywood and Hollywood (and Downtown for that matter, although our Downtown isn't as important as most major cities, insofar as everthing is so spread out here with their own hubs) look close on a map as the crow flies, but remain a commute that takes longer than one would suspect because our streets and freeways are clogged in all but the wee hours of late night/earliest a.m. A car is suggested to get the most out of L.A. The public transportation is more limited than most suspect (a tangled maze of changing buses, or the few train lines that close early.)

Yes, you should follow your own spirit of adventure in your family's move here, but you are wise to try to access the facts. Your mother should be very proud of your efforts in that. The posters who brought up job qualifications needed for anything but dire poverty in our EXTREMELY expensive to live in city, and the foreign influence in L.A. alluded to in the video are more accurate than posters who idealize the very out-dated LaLaLand of milk and honey dreams.

To give an example, this forum once debated an interesting newspaper piece that spotlighted sisters from Mexico that moved to the U.S. One moved to Kentucky, learned English, became a U.S. citizen, took night classes to further her education, and within a mere decade had moved up in the world from her initial factory job to being a partner in her own retail shop. Her children did well in school, and attended college. They all, in a word, assimilated, and reaped the benefits of what our country has to offer.

Her sister moved to Los Angeles, where she took fertility drugs and had ten children. She remains on public welfare and in 22 years has failed to acquire any English whatsoever. Her children claimed they hated visiting their Kentucky cousins because "they use big words in English." The cynical might assert that she is "livin' the life" because she never has to confront the English language (over half of all media here are in a foreign language,) and has lowly American taxpayers fund every aspect of her non-productive, selfish life. This sort of illustrated the difference in the demographics between Kentucky and Los Angeles insofar as those starting off without money are concerned. You may find yourself around a lot of people like the L.A. sister, so don't be surprised if you're competing for entry-level jobs with people like her kids.

I presume you're moving to Noho because you have family or friends' connections there. Could you tell us what type of work your family is seeking? Maybe this forum can help you more in suggesting where whatever work it is might be found. For instance, as I wrote, Dowtown isn't the end-all and be-all of employment here. Different, and far-flung areas have different businesses.

And lastly, unless you thread through our traffic to get to the beaches, or can make it to Griffith Park (nearer N. Hollywood) you're not going to have the refreshing beauty that you may have taken for granted in KY. Even a small ways outside the cities in KY you saw it. Here, the cities are all blended together and, excepting the richest places, mediocre-looking to dowright ugly. I only mention this because other posters who aren't working people forget that hard-working people can feel a tad beaten down without something else to look forward to other than the 4 walls of a small, inexpensive place.

Good luck. Try using Mapquest, just diving in anywhere and scrolling around, to "learn" your way around the huge expanses of L.A. before you get here, and then double the amount of time it says to get anywhere. Everyone on this forum agrees with this statement!!!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:01 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
Parts of North Hollywood can be pretty bad. That's no lie. L.A. is a strange place in that one street can be good, and even a block over can be very bad. Other posts here have already helped quite a bit, so I won't add to it. Welcome to City-Data!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles